Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone still wearing their watch in lockdown

(91 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 09-Mar-21 20:25:08

I must I am, but it’s replaced from normal watch to a Apple iwatch, as I’m more out of the house than in, and I do love to know how many steps I’m doing

Willow500 Wed 10-Mar-21 07:57:30

My Fitbit died last year so I replaced it with a watch which is supposed to have an alarm on it but it never works. It does light up though as I look at the time several times during the night. I have several 'proper' watches but never wear them but never take this one off apart from in the shower or to charge it.

Witzend Wed 10-Mar-21 08:06:10

No, but only because the metal strap had been getting a bit tight - when the shops are open I’ll take it to be adjusted. Once I’ve found the extra bits they took out donkeys’ years ago, that is.

Esspee Wed 10-Mar-21 08:21:22

A watch is not the only thing that has become redundant in the past year. I’m thinking of high heels, bras, make up, etc.

JennyNotFromTheBlock Wed 10-Mar-21 08:48:55

I wear FitBit and it has a time section as well, so I guess I do

M0nica Wed 10-Mar-21 09:32:19

Why wouldn't one wear a watch? Life still goes on, even in lockdown. Zoom meetings, shopping, meals, medication.

PamelaJ1 Wed 10-Mar-21 09:49:46

I don’t wear my watch in bed because I either shower or, usually, have a bath before slobbing around before bed.
However I get so annoyed if I forget to put it on in the morning and spend my time glancing at an empty arm.
Time is still important to me.
I never know where my phone is and when I find it it’s usually dead.

henetha Wed 10-Mar-21 10:28:31

I've worn a wristwatch every day since I was ten years old when I was given one for my birthday.
Even though I have my smartphone with me at all times I still
can't bear not to wear a watch. (not the same one I had when I was ten, although I do still have that one).

timetogo2016 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:31:33

I only wear my watch if i am out for the evening,which is so rare.

Blackcat3 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:37:27

Yes ...why wouldn’t you....wonderful to see how much time I have to do all my hobbies undisturbed. I’m afraid I’m one of those people who are loving lockdown.....no need to find excuses not to go out!!!

Authoress Wed 10-Mar-21 10:37:44

Hah! I'm missing my watch terribly! The battery died about one week into this latest lockdown, and the local lovely watch repairer in the village has retired. I managed to get the back off, discovered that watch batteries are very cheap on line, then bust the watch face replacing the back plate! I discovered that I own 3 other watches, only one of which has a back I could lever off, so am now waiting impatiently for watch battery type #2 so I can try again. And googling people who might have watch face replacement ability when shops reopen again.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:39:32

I didn't wear a watch until I too got an applewatch, it is so comfortable, it reminds me to do my exercises, and lets me know if I have sat down too long, and keeps reminding me to breath? No it's relaxing breathing! I love it!!

NanaPlenty Wed 10-Mar-21 10:40:36

Haven’t worn my watch or makeup since lockdown started! Weird.

Nicolaed Wed 10-Mar-21 10:43:15

I wear my Apple Watch every day, it's just so useful

BassGrammy Wed 10-Mar-21 10:46:54

I wear mine all the time...well fitbit watch. It tells me when I need to get up and move!
It also tells me that I have clocked up 120 miles in local walks this year, which makes me feel better about the other inactivity!

polnan Wed 10-Mar-21 10:49:34

Esspee! LOL

I have a non battery watch, what are they called? a wind up one, my favorite, more a piece of jewellry (sp? ) to me,
can`t get it service...

so very sad..

polnan Wed 10-Mar-21 10:49:49

serviced! duh! to me

MadeInYorkshire Wed 10-Mar-21 10:50:58

Always, just a normal one that tells the time - I don't feel dressed without it - when it's battery ran out I was always looking at it and it wasn't there, hated it!

No point in a fancy watch, I am unable to move much anyway!

Doug1 Wed 10-Mar-21 10:55:33

I wear a fit bit unless I am going somewhere that requires me to spruce up a bit then I wear one of my many watches.

moobox Wed 10-Mar-21 10:56:04

Ha ha. I need it to get to all my appointments on time - Zoom this, Zoom that, and Zoom the other

Aepgirl Wed 10-Mar-21 11:01:39

My watch and rings are part of my daily dress routine.

Babs758 Wed 10-Mar-21 11:01:39

I still wear my watch and it has a bezel on it (supposed to be for diving) but I use it for timing my cooking etc. It feels part of me!

Babs758 Wed 10-Mar-21 11:02:27

Ps - it did go diving before lockdown :-)

GreyKnitter Wed 10-Mar-21 11:06:37

I always wear my fitbit as I count steps - unless it’s charging as it is right now! Had to laugh on Monday - we went to a garden centre and m and s for the first time in a year! I put on full make up, including lipstick and it wasn’t til I got home that I realised no one had seen my lips and the lipstick had rubbed against my mask and I looked as though the lipstick had been applied by my 4 years old granddaughter! ????

keeno Wed 10-Mar-21 11:07:08

No, I stopped wearing mine months ago. I feel that's given me more freedom. I can always look at the clock or set a timer for anything specific.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 10-Mar-21 11:11:29

I wear a watch daily, usually the wind-up one which was my Dad's, and pleased to have something which reminds me of him. Or for dressier occasions, (ie going somewhere with my husband) which nowadays have reduced to the level of taking him to medical appts (long covid), or the occasional drive to a layby overlooking a local lake, to have a coffee and cake in the car, to give him a change of scene, I wear a pretty Citizen watch he bought me as a present years ago,
I have never gone without makeup, perfume, jewellery, bra or trying to coordinate jewelry to match my clothes (I have loads of jewellery and enjoy wearing it), as I refuse to give in to letting this pandemic rule EVERY aspect of my life. Its been a useful reason to use up all of the odds 'n'ends of cheaper perfume and makeup, so that I still have plenty of the decent stuff for when we emerge from all of this present circumstance forced on us.