Gransnet forums

Chat

Words that make you shudder

(357 Posts)
grandmajet Thu 11-Mar-21 19:18:56

My daughter’s partner cannot stand the word ‘moist’. If you use it to describe a cake, for instance, it would quite put him off!
Do you have a word you hate, and is there a proper reason for your feelings?

Christmaspudding Mon 15-Mar-21 12:30:02

Bizarrely, given my Username, I dislike the word "pudding". It could be the way I pronounce it, but it just makes me feel fat! "Dumpling" for the same reason!
My daughter and I both dislike words with too many "k" sounds, as the sound sometimes sticks in the back of the throat: "cacophony", "King Canute" - especially if they're said after having something milky...ugh"

JackyB Tue 16-Mar-21 10:52:25

I disapprove of the overuse of "obviously". It usually isn't, or the word is used quite inappropriately.

We were brought up to call the rom where the settee is "the lounge". All other names for it sound stilted.

Ngaio1 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:32:51

Guys. Overly. Gob. Belly . Hubby/Hubster. Toilet. Basically. Like. Hun, Babe, a Brew. My reason is that they sound horrid. Yes, I know, some people do not like "horrid"!

EMMF1948 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:44:57

Lucca

“ I speak as I find, me”

Roughly translated means “I’m bloody rude”.

My late MIL used to say I speak as I find, as an attempt to close down further discussion. I once responded Well it's better than being rude!, luckily she never heard, she rarely heard anyone else.

EMMF1948 Wed 17-Mar-21 10:46:04

Deedaa

I hate the way people don't give birth any more, they "welcome" a baby. It makes it sound like a surprise somehow.

Or they 'birthed' a baby.

Coolgran65 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:30:29

Detest .... ‘this moment in time’.
Tits
C word

Have to say I find ‘arse’ very descriptive.