Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(81 Posts)
12Michael Thu 18-Mar-21 06:12:50

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light but looks dull outside and cold here in Brackley .
Yesterdays trip on the buses to Banbury to return my ECG monitor worked well .
And what was noticeable was the blackthorn blossom , which is not a good sign if saying is right .
I enjoyed the journey as I had a reason behind it , as Banbury like most places apart from food outlets very quiet .
Await the result of the monitor , mind next week have another trip in as to Glaucoma test .
Take Care,
Mick

Sar53 Thu 18-Mar-21 07:45:46

Good morning from Essex by the sea where it is another grey day with rain forecast for later.
Lidl for us this morning, it is literally less than 5 minutes in the car so an easy journey.
DD2 put a picture of how she looks now, after her cancer surgery, on her Facebook page last night. She wanted her family and friends to see, in her own words, 'that this is me now'. Obviously she hasn't seen anyone in the flesh, so to speak, and she said she needs to build up her confidence. I'm so proud of her with the way she has handled it all and cannot wait to see her, hopefully at the end of May.
Have the best Thursday you can and find a ? from somewhere xx

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Mar-21 07:55:22

Good morning from cloudy Leicestershire.

May go to Boots this morning and pick up a coffee on the way. Anything for a little normality!

I am envious of your friends Ashcombe our years in the Netherlands we’re among my happiest. Next year is the Floriade, an outdoor exhibition planned every 10 years - well worth a visit alongside Keukenhof.

Pleased your day went well Georgesgran you are in my thoughts.

cornergran Thu 18-Mar-21 07:55:47

Morning Mick, morning All from a cloudy corner of Somerset.

Definitely dust removal this morning as we didn’t get to it yesterday. Not sure what else. It occurred to me this morning how much I had enjoyed chatting to the nurses on Tuesday, those face to face chats have been missing for what feels like forever.

You’ve a busy day ahead bellasnana, hope your daughter is soon back to her usual self. Be careful with that toe when you go out ashcombe. Vaccination day does have a certain excitement sheepandcattle, hope all goes well.

Sounds as if you need a day of rest greyd, look after yourself. Good to hear your husband is eating more gagagran, your flowers were much deserved. Thank you for posting georgesgran, flowers.

Take care everyone, hope Thursday is gentle with us all.

Gingster Thu 18-Mar-21 07:56:46

Good morning all. Don’t know why , suddenly, I have to keep logging on to GN with my e mail and password ?.

Lovely pics brook and baubles. Beautiful parts of our lovely country.

Had a very frustrating day yesterday, trying to get through to docs, hospitals etc. Eventually getting through we were then either cut off or told to ring back tomorrow. Good job we aren’t urgent. ? oh dear the grumpy gremlins are with me today. Sorry I’ll try to lighten up. ?.

Had a nice walk and chat with an old pal, in between the rain yesterday. It’s more like April with showers and sunshine. My little pooch, usually so sweet and gentle went for her little pooch over a chewy treat. I gave them one each and after mine had finished hers she went after the other one. She was in disgrace for the rest of the day ?.

Supermarket shop today. Yay! Such excitement after DS1 has been doing ours since Christmas. I do like to wander round by myself. I expect I’ll spend a lot more though! ?

I’ll bid you all a good day ???

dragonfly46 Thu 18-Mar-21 07:57:18

Sar your daughter is indeed a very brave girl.

Jaxjacky Thu 18-Mar-21 08:02:40

Good morning from a cloudy, 5deg, S Hants Gaga you must be relatively near to us. Mick pleased your journey was uneventful, I’m not sure what lots of blackthorn blossom means? Hopefully your DD will recover soon Bella as Dwmx’s has. Susan I remember the dread of the MOT, those were the days of someone knowing a garage slightly more lax than others to get the car through!
The two panes of glass for the greenhouse came yesterday, intact, third time lucky, I’m hoping DH feels inclined to build it this weekend. But he’s had a hard week at work and has his jab tomorrow at 5, we’ll see. A walk this morning, prep dinner, chicken thighs stuffed with garlic cheese and day 4 of BP measurements. I’ll watch Cheltenham this afternoon, we’ve been a few times, it’s odd to see it so empty. I’m catching, out of the corner of my eye, two male blackbirds having a skirmish, Spring.
Enjoy your day, thoughts with those sad, grieving, poorly or just a bit fed up.

amselerin Thu 18-Mar-21 08:04:17

Good morning all from rather cold Lueneburg.
I spent a day gardening, well shredding yesterday. My young gardener was here last Saturday to paint the kitchen cupboard. But as the shop had given me the wrong paint, he cut some trees and shrubs down. Unfortunately he cut one of the neighbours hazelnut tree/bush well down, right over the fence. I don`t think the neighbour has spotted this yet. I used the shredder for about 4 hours, so today is just hospital visit. Greyduster I hope that you are feeling better - soonest-. sheep The first thing we looked for on returning home from the continent were the sheep and a fish and chip shop. What a lovely photo.*Georgesgran*: big hug from me.
Have a pleasant day everyone.

Gingster Thu 18-Mar-21 08:04:51

Thanks Marydoll And Mapleleaf for putting me straight on Daniel ??

ginny Thu 18-Mar-21 08:11:51

Good Morning from a dull but not too chilly N. Bucks.
Enjoyed my walk with DD3 yesterday although my boots weighed a ton at the end with all the mud. Mud was a theme yesterday as DH decided to ‘Kartcher’ the paths and patio in the garden. Ended up with his trousers covered in muddy spray.

A bit of ironing to do , a walk and a new recipe to try today.

Hope everyone can find a ? today.

Susan56 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:13:03

Ashcombe, our visit to the Keukenhof gardens for my 60th birthday was cancelled last year too.We postponed to this year and it’s been cancelled again.Maybe one day we’ll get there???

Lins1066 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:15:01

Good morning Mick and all from a dry and bright S Welsh coast. We were treated to a beautiful sunset last evening. During our lunchtime walk we heard the happy sound of children playing in a nearby Primary School, broad smiles all round as we realised how long it's been since we've heard that joyous sound. I'm still smiling now when I think of them, our little four year old has settled well into her school thank goodness.
Best wishes to your daughter Sar. Glad your husband is eating Gagagran, look after yourself too. Hope little Pinchey's splints haven't rubbed.
flowers Georgesgran. G!ad you are feeling better*Susan*. Hope Cherry enjoyed her walk yesterday.
Take care everyone.

Susan56 Thu 18-Mar-21 08:19:39

Very brave of your daughter Sar???It must have been so hard for you not being able to be with her to help and support her?

Grandmajean Thu 18-Mar-21 08:22:23

Good morning from Cheshire where it is fairly mild and dry. I have never seen an egg vending machine Baubles even though lots of countryside near my home. Hope Pinchy improves Sheepandcattle - haven't read many posts yet but will come back later.

Grandmabatty Thu 18-Mar-21 08:26:12

Good morning all. It's 7° and low cloud in Polmont but the forecast is good so I have high hopes for an afternoon in the garden. I cleaned the summer house yesterday. There were a few spots of damp but I opened the door all afternoon to air it and I'll do the same today. I feel the urge to prune things today too! I will have a short walk to Aldi to pick up mozzarella for my pizza. Tesco delivered grated red Leicester which is definitely not a pizza topping! I wish the garden centres were open as I want to make my garden brighter. Oh well, it won't be too long I suppose. Yesterday I picked up my prescription and visited mum. Then pottered about the house and garden. A WhatsApp chat with friends in the afternoon was a good tonic. Today I have a painting to start so that's my plan. Have a good day all.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 08:39:01

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s foggy! I’m off for our long walk after lunch with my walking buddy. It will be nice to see her. Himself will be going down to the larder later to pick up supplies, I think pork steaks and broccoli are on the menu for tonight.

We heard some very tragic news last night about the death of a young man who played football professionally. I kept thinking about his lovely family last night and it was my first thought this morning. He was six weeks younger than our Yorkshire Lass. I need to buy a sympathy card. May he RIP.

Hope Thursday is kind to us all. Please accept my sincere condolences Georgesgran I didn’t realise your dear husband had passed. ?

I started this post 20 minutes ago, then my Yorkshire Lass rang for a chat on her way into work - she has me on speaker phone as she drives along the motorway into work!

Anyway - Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Alygran Thu 18-Mar-21 08:43:34

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s a bit grey here this morning.
It was lovely yesterday afternoon and I had a good walk and chat with a friend.
All the talk of Keukenhof brings back memories. I had always wanted to go but never managed to fit it in. The Christmas after DH died I opened a gift from my girls. It was a guidebook for Amsterdam and inside a booking confirmation for the three of us! We had the most amazing time. I have attached a couple of photos.
Take care everyone. Stay safe.

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Mar-21 08:53:56

Good morning from South Yorkshire.

It’s a rather grey start, but at least it’s dry. I think the forecast is this for the day, although yesterday it brightened up beautifully in the afternoon, so perhaps the same will happen today.

The new garage door is fitted and is a huge improvement on the old one. It took them about 2 1/2 hours to do it, so pretty quick really. They took away the old doors, too, which s a huge bonus - some companies weren’t willing to do so which would have left us with the problem of disposing of very heavy wooden doors.

Pilates this morning, so this is a quick hello to you all. I will come back and read all the posts after my lesson.

Take care everyone and hugs to all of you with sadness and/or difficulties today. ?

Marydoll Thu 18-Mar-21 09:00:49

Good morning all from a cloudy Glasgow, but a bright sun is shining through the clouds, which always lifts my spirits. I'm enjoying all the photos.

I would love to say I took your advice yesterday at being a good girl, but as usual circumstance demolished all my good intentions.
Despite the rush hour drive to the dealership being arduous, (you would never know we were in lockdown here), I was quite proud of myself, as I had been quite anxious about it. What I did learn is that you no longer have to follow the highway Code, stop at red lights, nor observe the speed limit. ?
It did, however, bring back memories of my commuting to work! How did manage to do that every day?

I picked DH up at the garage and as predicted the day went downhill after that. During the locksmith debacle the previous evening , we found out that the last person (DH) to lock up the security bar for the patio doors had mislaid the key. ? This of course was infuriating annoying me , as I'm a really organised person, with everything in its rightful place. I did manage to find the hidden spare, ? ( I told you I was well organised), but decided it would be cheaper to get a new security padlock, as all the key cutting shops are closed. Hence the visit to B&M next door to the dealership. I cleverly got one which uses a pin number, rather than a key. Pre-empt any future problems is my mantra.

I kept thinking I could hear a phone ringing, but knew it wasn't mine. I mentioned it to DH. I don't hear anything and since no- one phones me, it can't be mine. After it happened again, I said, just check your * * * * * phone, PLEASE, its probably the garage!!!
It turned out it was the garage, a recall had been done on DH's car , he hadn't seen the email and they needed permission to do it along with the service. However, it had to be done online by DH and we were ten miles from home in a retail store, with no wifi. DH offered to come back and he would sign it. Not possible, as Covid restrictions meant every thing had to be done online and anyway, since his PC was being repaired, so he couldn't do it online anyway. I offered to do it for him on my phone, but he wasn't having that either.

This is so unlike him, but DH became very unco-operative and said it was their problem, not his and hung up. This is yet another worrying behaviour on his part. In his working life, he was calm in the face of chaos, kind, polite and willing to compromise.
Trying to reason with him to deal with it, was useless.
I wear a Fitbit, to keep track of my steps and heart rate, I sneaked one look at it and thought, Oh dear!. At least we were ten minutes from the local hospital! ?

My younger son, has just moved ten minutes away from the dealership, in a town I haven't driven in in over thirty years, so nervously off I drove to pick up the now repaired PC and drop off stuff from our garage.
As soon as we got there, DH went with my son to look at the outside work they were having done in their massive garden, while I offloaded on my poor, future DIL.
I apologised, but said I just need a listening ear! I have no-one to tell. My other two children, are in denial about DH's uncharacteristic behaviour.

On the way home , we stopped at DD's to drop off a parcel, which had been delivered to us. Our SIL, appeared with a bag of pies from the bakers for us, as he had been at the dentist earlier. The best surprise was a soft, raspberry cream cake, as he knew I was still struggling to eat and was feeling a bit low. He is a really kind man.

On the way back, I found myself sandwiched between a police van and a police car. Why is it, we feel that we have done something wrong, even when we haven't? I could even read the numbers on the shoulder of the policeman behind me, he was so close.
The road works and tailbacks were so bad, I decided after DH finally got his car back, to take a circuitous route home through the streets of my childhood. Great idea, until I came to a point where the road split at a set of traffic lights. I stopped behind a van at a red light to turn right. The lights changed, but the van didnt move. It had broken down and I was trapped by the cars behind me and an island beside me. I looked in the mirror at the person behind me, to gesture that he would need to reverse. Then I realised, it was DH, who hadn't realised what the problem was.
The only solution was to drive back in the direction I had come from. ? DH said he hadn't known those streets even existed. Don't underestimate my problem solving skills, dear!
I must have driven more miles yesterday, than I have done in a whole year. ?
I got home, had a cuppa, two paracetamol and promptly fell asleep! ????
As predicted, I'm wiped out today!

Georgesgran, you must have found comfort in the fact so many came to pay their last respects. I hope you have a peaceful day.
Hoping that you feel a bit brighter as the day goes on Greyduster and that your daughter improves, Bella. ?The AZ vaccine caused a severe reaction for me, which eventually resulted in me having to contact the doctor for anti nausea medication. I was so unwell, but it will get better for your DD.
As always, sending love and prayers to al, who are struggling.
Enjoy your day, everyone.

Anniebach Thu 18-Mar-21 09:06:06

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Thu 18-Mar-21 09:10:03

Good morning from Morecambe Bay where it’s fine and cool. Going for a walk and picnic with DS2 today as he’s off shift now for 12 days. I’ve got a pile of ‘stuff’ to give him. Hope I don’t forget anything.
For all with worries and ongoing sadness?
Take care and stay safe everyone ???

BlueSapphire Thu 18-Mar-21 09:15:12

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton. Yesterday turned out nice and sunny, hoping for more today.
Sainsbury's delivery later this morning, and that's the highlight of my day!
Will probably read more of my book club book, managed nearly half of it yesterday; it's an easy read. Then get on with my new knitting project which I started yesterday, with a bit of help from one cat!
Hoping today finds everyone well; take care.

Grammaretto Thu 18-Mar-21 09:16:00

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where I think we are due to be the warmest place in the country (today only grin) it may hit 15°C.

Unfortunately the renovation works happening next door mean the noise and dust begins about 8am and goes on until 4 each day.

I was thinking of you yesterday Georgesgran and hope you have someone with you.

Thanks for the lovely photos, brook, Alygran, baubles and sheep

I'm glad your hospital outing was satisfactory Mick
Sar53 flowers for your brave DD.

Maydoll !! what can I say. 2 years ago, I had to drive across Glasgow in the early hours, on the way home from the Belfast ferry (as you do) and I was hooted at. Very scary.

Gaelic class today so I had better do some revision.
mar sin leat an-drasta which means Goodbye for now.

Urmstongran Thu 18-Mar-21 09:29:04

Marydoll your underlying concerns seem to be about your husband’s change in character, hence why you felt compelled to confide with your future daughter in law. Your anxiety will be heightened because your sons and daughter ‘don’t see it’ or prefer to look the other way. Sharing yesterday will hopefully reassure you that you have an ally now at least - one who is one step removed - and maybe more amenable to listening to your worries. We all need a confidante now and again otherwise our worries go round and round in our heads making the anxiety worse - like a hamster on the proverbial. ?

hulahoop Thu 18-Mar-21 09:31:06

It's my birthday today lovely presents received some family cards missing due to our mail through the last year has been hit and miss I am still waiting for mothers day card from son which he posted last week but not so important in the scheme of things just annoying .
It was lovely to hear people came to pay their respect George's gran .
To all feeling sad or low ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Mar-21 09:31:32

Good morning Mick and all

I am late to the party today as we had the 6yr old sleepover last night which meant a full English for him before the long walk to school (approximately 20 metres ?)

Bellasnana DH had a horrid headache and felt iffy for 36 hours after his AZ jab, and he never gets a headache. I keep meaning to say we had a wonderful week in Malta, early May 6 years ago, cannot remember whereabouts we stayed, but do remember Medina, we were fortunate to visit when they were holding a medieval festival and the weather was glorious.

Georgesgran be gentle with yourself ?

Sar53 well done your daughter ?

Sending (((hugs)))) to all in need

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️