Gransnet forums

Chat

Daily walk - getting a bit fed up

(81 Posts)
Riverwalk Sat 20-Mar-21 08:44:41

Oh, I can't face another flippin' walk as my only source of outside entertainment!

It's dull and overcast and my walking buddy is away so I'm sitting here trying to convince myself to get the joggers and trainers on and stride out.

I'm fed up! grin

Parsley3 Sat 20-Mar-21 10:36:03

The first time round I was interested in looking at the changing seasons and it was a joy to see nature at work. This year I am thinking “not this again”. I am COVID weary.

Ellianne Sat 20-Mar-21 10:36:58

That's it eazybee mabye we need to use our five senses more on our walks. The poets and great musicians were right.
Listen to birdsong, even listen to lawnmowers and children playing
Smell the flowers, the newly cut grass
Take in views, shapes, the beauty around us and architecture
Touch and feel textures, the sunshine the rain
And as for taste I'm off to eat a freshly baked hot cross bun with my coffee before my walk.

BigBertha1 Sat 20-Mar-21 10:37:49

Sorry you are fed up riverwalk we on a extra hard bit now as the release of lockdown is so near but so far. We are being a bit braver this morning and going a bit further (5 miles) to find a new walk as its the first day of Spring and I have to move some of this lard before golf starts the week after next. I know golf is a good walk spoilt but it will feel great to hit a ball again and see some people. smile

Susan56 Sat 20-Mar-21 10:41:34

Fanny?

henetha Sat 20-Mar-21 10:42:03

Me too... same old trees, same old birds, same old scenery.
I'm trying to mix it up with power-walks, awe-walks, etc.
but it's getting tedious.
However, we are allowed out of our own area from the 29th March apparently, so I am told. Yippee!

Peasblossom Sat 20-Mar-21 10:47:00

I’m in town, just little pocket parks which up till last week have been full of children anyway.

I trudge the pavements sometimes, but there’s just so many people ?

Anniebach Sat 20-Mar-21 10:52:25

Pamela can’t do a push, no family near me, nearest is 50 miles away , but had a new travel scooter delivered yesterday so have hopes of a ride every day ??

Jaxjacky Sat 20-Mar-21 11:03:59

I’m fed up with my local walk too and I don’t feel better afterwards, it’s a box ticked. I’d like to be walking to friends for a meal, or the pub to watch football and catch up with people. Sorry, grey day grumps...I’ll go up the allotment later and plant my potatoes instead.

henetha Sat 20-Mar-21 11:05:12

I've been insensitive, *Anniebach", I'm lucky just to be able to go out at all. I hope your new scooter will bring you real joy.

Aveline Sat 20-Mar-21 11:11:27

I'm the same as most of you. Just sick of all the local walks. It's chore just walking round the same old walks. Occasionally, we'll drive (a short distance) so we can do a slightly different walk but it's stopped being enjoyable at all. Plus my hips is so sore these days. Advice varies between walking is good and walking is bad. Just don't know. Hoping my new trainers help. But it's still boring!

Aveline Sat 20-Mar-21 11:12:04

Eek - my hip is so sore

nadateturbe Sat 20-Mar-21 11:12:28

There are those who can't go out for a walk so I am grateful. But doesn't make it any less boring. I'm going further than the ten miles allowed. It's actually quieter and safer to drive to a nice beach on the north coast during the week with a picnic lunch ( N Ireland ).

Maggie68 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:16:05

Oopsadaisy
You sound just like me especially the bit about husband walks the dog and I stay home pottering about and dreaming of being in my new holiday caravan at the coast which we bought in 2019 September so haven’t had a full season of it yet, I call that my “ happy place” as I prefer it there than here, can’t wait for April 12th!!

Mollygo Sat 20-Mar-21 11:27:36

Parsley3 it’s true about looking at nature second time around not being so exciting. Same crocuses, same daffodils-more exciting when someone has had a new drive laid! Our conversation on walks has been a bit boring too. It’s cold/colder/windy/windier/sunny?
Look the tide’s in/ out/ coming in/going out, and when we pass people, they comment on exactly the same things.

Redhead56 Sat 20-Mar-21 11:32:09

I am sure we all have our bad days I have recently been tearful missing my family. It has been a bit like ground hog day doing the same thing day in day out. It's not what you expect in retirement. However a walk is good for the soul and spring is in the air.
We are fortunate across the road from our house is a wood that was an old railway line. With a meadow and ponds it stretches for miles when I was small it was a functioning railway. Only five minutes away is open farm land with plenty of walks. Hopefully this year will bring an end to covid and we can get on with our lives.

Riverwalk Sat 20-Mar-21 11:37:06

Same crocuses, same daffodils-more exciting when someone has had a new drive laid grin

I did a 70-minute walk with a reasonable bounce in my step!

PamelaJ1 Sat 20-Mar-21 13:51:49

Annie enjoy

Madgran77 Sat 20-Mar-21 14:51:29

"Grey day grumps" ..what a brilliant description of the "down days!" jaxjacky

Aveline Sat 20-Mar-21 15:02:12

70 minutes! Well done that Gran sunshine

AGAA4 Sat 20-Mar-21 15:54:19

I was getting a bit fed up with the daily walk but I will never moan again.
I broke or badly sprained my toe so haven't been able to walk for a while now and I miss it very much.
I'm looking forward to being able to get out into the countryside again.

Cabbie21 Sat 20-Mar-21 16:36:00

I have not been out today and now it is too late as it is very grey out there. DH has been asleep most of the afternoon and I did not want to go out in case the phone rang or the doorbell. I keep wondering what the family are doing today as it has been a dry day and they go for lots of walks.

Blossoming Sat 20-Mar-21 16:48:44

I really wish I could manage a daily walk. You don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

Aveline Sat 20-Mar-21 16:54:27

This was in the daily cartoon thread but I feel it fits here too.

foxie48 Sat 20-Mar-21 17:54:34

I also laughed at the cartoon, our border terrier is super fit with all the walking. I'm also having to walk my horse, she's recovering from an injury and is getting very bouncy to walk and it is very tedious for both of us. We are rural with lots of footpaths etc so can do lots of different walks so I feel very lucky. I've got a health problem which means I've become much less fit than I would be normally so I'm trying to get fitter which gives my walks an extra purpose. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on board the horse at some point when we are both fit enough and life will feel a bit more normal.

BlueSky Sat 20-Mar-21 17:58:13

Blossoming so true. flowers