Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(87 Posts)
12Michael Fri 26-Mar-21 06:14:59

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey wet start here in Brackley ,but there is a sign of brightness in the sky.
Today , usual shop and do my own Fish & Chips in the oven , before a nap and watch cycling on TV, GB hopes look good in Spain .
Did some shredding yesterday , having stockpiled things , the shredder got hot, so staggered the shredding , maybe a new one next week .

Talking of Next week , local travel is allowed so will officially go to my usual haunts hopefully and catch up with people I know on the bus journeys .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Fri 26-Mar-21 06:18:33

Good morning Mick and everyone to follow from a damp and windy Torbay.

When the day brightened up yesterday, I walked over the breezy Downs and spotted these ships ?in the bay, namely Arcadia, then (from L to R) Marcella Explorer 2 with QM2. ?This website helps identify which ships are where:-

www.cruisin.me/cruise-port-tracker/europe/torquay-england/

Some heartening news from DH in France: he’s been told to ring a local hospital today to book his first Covid vaccination which was a wonderful surprise and a boost for us both. ?The flowers that arrived on Wednesday were an uplift to me so I’m glad the photo I shared also brought pleasure to many of you, too. For those who are praying for Louis, Tanith’s DGS, who is recovering from brain surgery, you may wish to consider wearing a hat today:-

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1293596-Wear-a-hat-day-on-Friday

I look forward to reading everyone's news especially the update on Pinchy having his splints changed yesterday. Wishing you as good a day as possible with sun after showers ?and silver linings to your clouds. ?

grandMattie Fri 26-Mar-21 06:23:41

Good morning from a dry bright E Kent. Contrary to the weather in Brackley, the forecast is for fine weather, just very strong wind!
Bed change today. I love having fresh ironed (shock, horror) sheets!
Another nothing day. I really must get going and assemble my 64 blocks for GS quilt.
Hope people have a good, quiet day day, those with sunshine ☀️ manage to enjoy it, and everyone finds a ????? flamingo in their flock of ? parrots. (I don’t like parakeets because they destroy the fruit crops by picking off the flower buds - it wouldn’t be so bad if they ate them,but they don’t! )

Pantglas2 Fri 26-Mar-21 06:32:06

Morning all from a wet and blowy north Wales where I’ve slept like a log having gone to bed early last night as DH watched the footie.

Lovely photos Ashcombe and marvellous news about your chap, I know figures in France aren’t clever at the moment so bring the ? on!

Hope little Louis is on the mend after such a huge op, such a worrying time for his family and friends ?.

I know I’ve missed a few birthdays recently but be assured everyone I do read even when I don’t post so here’s a toast ? to anyone with a special day!

Can I add my best wishes to Gillybob- I’m sure we’re all waiting and watching for Friday Girl!

I shall pop back later and read about your mischiefs.....?

Gagagran Fri 26-Mar-21 06:38:39

Morning all! Cloudy start here on the south coast (8.8c) and I think we are to expect strong winds and showers later.

Had two good surprises yesterday. My replacement bank card arrived and then the GP surgery e-mailed to say a repeat scrip had now been sent to the pharmacy for DH. I also have Ready Reads to collect from the library so plan a trip out tomorrow morning to collect books and meds.

This morning's outing is for the click and collect order from Tesco. I asked DH if he felt up to a little drive out with me for a change of scenery but he said not quite yet. He is pottering around the garden now and then, which gets him into the fresh air and sunshine, when available. 3 weeks today since his last op.

DGD 1 is due home from university next week and is planning to visit us in our garden, which will be a tonic for us both. She is a real ray of sunshine and positivity and we are looking forward to seeing her and hearing her exploits!

Hope the day is a good one for us all. sunshine

GrannyGravy13 Fri 26-Mar-21 06:41:44

Good morning Mick and all

Mmm fish and chips lovely Mick
I am early today after a broken nights sleep, might have to nap when the 1yr old has his sleep later? Hopefully take him out for a long walk in his pram if it stays bright.

The rising Covid numbers are not looking good on mainland Europe, fingers crossed your DH is jabbed soon Ashcombe

I am about to have my first cup of tea of the day.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Beechnut Fri 26-Mar-21 06:44:51

Good Morning everyone from Severnside where we have Brackley weather.

Lovely photos and news from your husband Ashcombe. I looked at the photo site you mentioned yesterday. He certainly knows how to take pics of the cruise ships.

Off to the store this morning and may call in at a farm shop.

Your parakeet story reminds me of when my sister picked the flowers off the runner beans Mattie.
Have the best day you can all ??‍?

grandMattie Fri 26-Mar-21 06:51:36

Beech, I was in Paris once and bought a packet of runner bean seeds. I commented to the cashier that we do love our runner beans in England, he laugher merrily. I could see the cogs in his brain thinking “Ils sont fous, ces anglais!”. In Paris, I only saw them as decorative climbers in the Tuileries gardens.... Oscar Wilde was reputed to wear runner bean flowers in his buttonhole. So, perhaps your sister wasn’t that wrong!

grandmajet Fri 26-Mar-21 06:56:34

Good morning from Nottinghamshire. The sky is blue streaked with pinky grey clouds, very pretty but I think we’ll have some rain later. I hate to say it but the grass needs it.
Lovely photos, Ashcombe. We had a lovely holiday on the Arcadia once, round the eastern Mediterranean, in the olden days when such things were allowed. I’m glad France is getting with its vaccinations now - it’s about time.
I hope the little one lets you sleep, GrannyGravy, it sound like you need it!
Yesterday’s clinic trip was inconclusive - I’m being discussed at the multidisciplinary meeting on Monday and they’ll probably want to do another biopsy. Oh joy! I’m quite a puzzle it seems. Grandpajet could have told them that years ago!
My cup of tea has arrived, so I’ll stop rambling now.
I hope everyone find a bright spot today.

Susan56 Fri 26-Mar-21 06:59:33

Good morning from Shropshire.Rain forecast all day☔️

Good news Ashcombe?and lovely pictures.We live in a beautiful part of the country but I do miss our trips to the coast.

Good day for you yesterday Gaga as well?

DH has made great progress in the garden this week.Veg plot dug over,greenhouse, shed and decking cleaned.Nowhere had looked particularly messy but he has made three trips to the tip and both bins are full?‍♀️

Henry day today and school pick up later for the divine Miss M.She breaks up for Easter today so they have a fun day planned.The day goes so quickly as we have to leave at 2.15 to get to school in time so early breakfast, early lunch and early nap for H.

Auntieflo I hope you have managed a restful night and your pain has lessened.You will be in my thoughts today?

Cherry and Mary, I hope you have both been taking it easy and are feeling better.

Have a good day all and thoughts to little Louis,Georgesgran and anyone else with illness,sadness and worries.

Beauregard Fri 26-Mar-21 07:04:04

Good morning all from Derbyshire where it's currently dry and breezy. We had rain in the night and more forecast this morning.

I had a lovely meet up with my friend yesterday, the weather was perfect to walk and sit out with a coffee.

Today I'm shopping this morning and will see another friend briefly this afternoon to hand over her belated birthday present and meet her two dogs for the first time. Perhaps some gardening in between.

Hope today is a good day for all.

Urmstongran Fri 26-Mar-21 07:09:15

Oh I love your little knowledgeable anecdotes grandMattie!

Good morning everyone from south Manchester (the iPad still suggests ‘Malaga’ - I wish) where it’s dry but seems chilly.

Absolutely nothing to do today unless I find something. A book most probably? Perhaps a takeaway coffee and a stroll through the park with Himself? I’ll decide later.

I have rib eye steaks from M&S to fry later with some onions. I bought a tub of their peppercorn sauce to go with on a recommendation.

Hope Friday is good to us all (including gillybob and the lady with the thin dog who I know sees and reads this thread every morning). Missing you amselerin and mancgirl hope all is well with you both? Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Kalu Fri 26-Mar-21 07:09:58

Good morning from a very wet Glasgow today. I just tell myself it’s good for the garden!

Bed change here too which I now find quite exhausting but I will appreciate the effort tonight when I get between the sheets of freshly ironed linen. Bliss.

A day indoors doing this and that, just whatever turns up to keep me occupied. Such a rotten day means I should sit and read my book as a reward for tackling this and that. ?

Have a pleasant Friday all and good morning to our Friday Girl if you are reading this gillyx

brook2704 Fri 26-Mar-21 07:13:04

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s grey and raining just now.
Love the pictures of the sea and the ships Ashcombe I love that area. We were due to be walking the remainder of the South West coastal path last year and should have been walking around Torbay but obviously it all got cancelled. We’ve done over half from Minehead to Fowey but have the rest around to South Haven Point still waiting to be done - aiming to be back one day!
I’ve an online dance exercise class this morning and then a Tesco shop this afternoon - well at least I’ll change out of the gardening / walking clothes and put some proper shoes on even if it’s just to wander round Tesco ?
Good news that your DH is recovering well Gaga
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today, a flamingo ? to brighten your day and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Scentia Fri 26-Mar-21 07:24:02

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it looks really sunny but I think it has given out rain later.
Off to work this morning for a few hours, then a relaxing weekend ahead.
I bought tickets to go to West Midlands Safari Park yesterday and realised this will be my first day out with DD and DGS in goodness knows how long, we are so excited. We will be going on the 14th April, unless DGD decides to make an appearance a week or so early. If she does DGS and I will be going on our own?
I will read all your posts at tea break time and see what you have all been up to, I did read your post Mick and DH was telling me the ‘interesting’ story about Geraint Thomas and another Brit appearing from knowhere in the finishing sprint. 3 out of the top 4 where British. We do seem to do well in cycling.
Take care everyone and stay safe ?

dragonfly46 Fri 26-Mar-21 07:36:29

Good morning from a very wet Leicestershire.

I am still reeling from the unexpected death of my good friends husband from a heart attack yesterday. She is constantly in my thoughts.

Great news about your DH’s jab Ashcombe. The sooner the Europeans get their jabs the sooner I can see all my Dutch friends.
Beech they don’t like our runner beans in Holland either. They prefer dwarf beans.

Jaxjacky Fri 26-Mar-21 07:40:19

Good morning Mick and all from a breezy, damp S Hants, rain forecast for most of the day. Good news Ashcombe for your DH getting his jab, we have a number of friends in France, some of whom are despairing. The cruise ships are moving regularly in and out of Southampton all the time, we hear the horns sometimes. Gagagran pottering in the garden sounds like progress for your DH, onwards and upwards. Auntieflo I hope you’ve had some pain free sleep and are feeling a little restored. No real plans today, a walk later, pasta sauce was made yesterday. I’m disappointed neither of the two men who came to look at the work needed on the garden have come back to us yet, even to say no can do, it’s just plain rude.
Have a gentle day all, hopefully a glimpse of a ?or three will grace your day.

cornergran Fri 26-Mar-21 07:44:14

Morning Mick, morning All. There’s some sun peeping through the cloud over our corner of Somerset, forecast tells me rain and hail later, how lucky are we?

Admin finally finished, for now, we enjoyed a sunny beach walk yesterday afternoon . Hardly a soul about. Mr C wants to go to a garden centre this morning, I have no idea why but for once happy to go along with his plan.

Take care everyone, hope Friday is kind to us all.

cornergran Fri 26-Mar-21 07:45:32

Sad news dragonfly, look after yourself flowers.

ginny Fri 26-Mar-21 07:47:51

Good Morning all. Rain during the night but now cloudy and breezy.
DH will pop over to his Mum this morning and we’ll have a walk this afternoon. Otherwise nothing planned.
Hope you all find a ? today.

Elizabeth1 Fri 26-Mar-21 07:48:51

Good morning everyone from a blustery and wet east coast of Fife. I’m hoping the weather improves soon as I’ve a trip planned to our local charity organisation which is giving its members carry out lunches every Friday for 12 weeks and they are delicious. Last Friday we got ham and leek soup, fresh fruit salad and carrot cake. Our local charity received funding in order to donate lunches to each of its members. There’s still lots of generosity out there. It’s so humbling and much appreciated.

This morning my DH is driving my DS to see her gp as she has a suspicious mole needing examined. It’s causing us all quite a worry here’s hoping our various health matters can be managed as speedily as is possible during these uncertain times we just want to get on with our lives like everyone else. There’s so much to see and do even in lockdown.

I read this morning there’s been numerous complaints about something said in Sunday’s detective program called in the line of duty regarding an actor with Down’s syndrome. I heard it at the time causing me to feel a little uneasy did any other gn hear it?

Have a good Friday everyone it’ll soon be FREEDOM for us all wink

Alygran Fri 26-Mar-21 08:02:03

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s a very breezy start to the day.
Up early to do a zoom meeting at 9 ? then driving up to Richmond to walk a short section of the coast to coast walk with my cousin. It’s her birthday today. I shall wear a hat. Thank you for the link Ashcombe. Good news on your DH’s vax too.
DD1 called yesterday on her way to A&E with DGS who has hurt his foot in PE. Fortunately it’s not broken but he needs to be non weight bearing for a few days. Back to the crutches for school today.
Thinking of the missing posters.
Have a good day everyone. Stay safe.

baubles Fri 26-Mar-21 08:02:10

Good morning Mick, morning all from rainy South Lanarkshire.

Beautiful views Ashcombe and good news from your DH. I must check with my brother in France if there’s any sign of theirs.

What a shock dragonfly thanks

DH had booked golf for this afternoon but woke to the news that the course is closed due to the weather so no empty for me. I may go to an actual shop to pick up Easter eggs for the DGCs, there wasn’t much of a choice in my online shop.

Other than that it’ll be a little light housework then crochet with the dog melting into my side. Sometimes I have to get her to nudge up a bit as she’s getting in the way of my hook.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day. ?

Nannytopsy Fri 26-Mar-21 08:03:33

Good morning Mick and all his followers.
It’s a blowy mixture of blue sky and cloud at the moment in Suffolk but heavy rain is forecast. As others have said, the garden would benefit. We are really looking forward to the warm weather next week.
What a shock for your friend Dragonfly and for you too.

We have Scottish Power coming this morning to fit a smart meter. They cancelled last time but we shall get prepared again. The fuse box is in the utility and it always needs a good tidy up! I may read my book while the power is off.

It is DGD’s 5th birthday party tomorrow and we are so lucky to be able to see them as we are their childcare bubble. They are doing the full decorate the house etc despite it just being us and them - no children, for the second year. Frozen is our theme.
Did I spot flamingos on Sergei the meerkat’s shirt on the advert last night?
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Nannytopsy Fri 26-Mar-21 08:07:30

The thin dog is very poorly, so please keep our friend in your thoughts.