Gransnet forums

Chat

Hairdressing - dry cut price increase

(117 Posts)
supernanauna1 Thu 01-Apr-21 19:32:00

I have always had my hair dry cut. Before Covid, I paid about £16/17 a time.

After the first lockdown, I discovered that both my local hairdressers had stopped doing dry cuts (because of the danger of Covid, they said) and I now had to have my hair washed before cutting. All very well, but they had added £10+ onto the price.

I'm one of those odd people who hates going to the hairdresser. I'm a bit anti-social and dread having to make small talk. With a dry cut, I'm in and out in a few minutes and that suits me fine.

One hairdresser tried to tell me that it was the law that they are no longer allowed to do a dry cut. I think it was just an excuse to bring in more money!

Has another OP come across this?

I'm so annoyed by it that I'm very tempted to just let my hair grow and pin it back. I'd probably look like a scarecrow but it's worth a try to avoid spending even more time in the hairdressers!

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 19:42:03

I think your hairdresser was right. Many areas have imposed Covid safety rules which include no dry cuts and no magazines. It varies from region to region.

Elusivebutterfly Thu 01-Apr-21 20:00:44

I had a dry cut after the first lockdown. I don't understand how a cut and blow dry is safer than a dry cut. Surely being close to the hairdresser for a shorter time is safer for Covid risk? I hope they don't bring in this rule where I live.

Lillie Thu 01-Apr-21 20:27:05

My husband always has his hair dry cut, they just squirt water on it. This remained the same when he went last year, no mention of new rules.
Could you wash it at home and jump in the car so you turn up with it wet, or at least damp?

seacliff Thu 01-Apr-21 20:33:33

After the first lockdown I had a dry cut as usual. I always wash it and go there with it still damp, as Lillie also suggests. .

Lollin Thu 01-Apr-21 20:33:49

I’m confused by the reasoning too. How can water spraying about, someone in close proximity for longer and spending longer inside be safer confused

Amberone Thu 01-Apr-21 21:00:08

I just searched the guidelines for hairdressers and found all the usual stuff about PPE/ventilation/masks/not keeping customers waiting in the salon/hand washing/etc but nothing about not being able to do dry cutting.

Maybe a GN hairdresser will enlighten us.

kircubbin2000 Thu 01-Apr-21 21:46:45

They are not open at the moment but I suppose the price will rise.

Blossoming Thu 01-Apr-21 22:19:14

My mistake, the article I read was talking about the rules in Germany.

mumofmadboys Thu 01-Apr-21 22:55:40

I always wash my hair at home and walk to the hairdressers 5 minutes away with wet hair.

suziewoozie Thu 01-Apr-21 22:57:24

An online search showed some hairdressers saying they would not be doing dry cuts. It’s their business so their choice. Their customers have a choice to accept that or go elsewhere/ stop going. Given the dreadful year they’ve had, putting up their prices seems perfectly reasonable to me.

MiniMoon Fri 02-Apr-21 00:36:55

After the first lockdown, I had my usual dry trim. My hairdresser apologised for putting the price up by £1. I understood, as she has to buy hand sanitizer etc.

cornergran Fri 02-Apr-21 00:56:35

I’ve developed a spinal problem which will make a back wash painful. As my hair is currently a mess my thought is to tolerate my usual cut and blow dry to reshape my hair then ask my hairdresser who I know well if she would dry cut it in future. It hadn’t occurred to me she would refuse. I’ll be interested to find out on 12th when I go for my appointment. Fingers crossed here.

Kim19 Fri 02-Apr-21 07:20:37

I've saved a fair bit by not having haircuts recently. Quite happy to share that with the lady who does mine. So far dry cuts are fine with her. Certainly hope that continues to be the case.

JackyB Fri 02-Apr-21 09:20:20

I am in Germany and hair now has to be washed before cutting. Didn't affect me but I took my grandson twice last summer and he hates having his hair washed. As it turned out, he was fine because of leaning backwards into the basin.

DH says he had to pay more because of the washing.

While DS was working from here after his return from the States, he popped in, too. He said it was wonderful having a hairdresser who knew what they were doing. German hairdressers all have to go through the strictly regulated apprenticeship system and pass their exams before they are allowed to work. Our hairdresser always has an apprentice and they don't actually cut until they are in their 3rd year.

honeyrose Fri 02-Apr-21 09:27:54

I’ve had dry cuts at my hairdressers (when they were allowed to open between lockdowns). Just sprayed some water on. Men normally have dry cuts anyway, don’t they? My hairdressers is unisexual (as my DH calls it!).

Ellianne Fri 02-Apr-21 09:28:19

Do the hairdressers there wear masks or shields JackyB?
Mine wears a shield but I was just thinking how when my head us over the back bowl she is breathing down her shield on my nostrils! Yikes!

honeyrose Fri 02-Apr-21 09:29:51

Sorry - should have added that price increased by £2 to cover PPE which I’m more than happy with.

Ellianne Fri 02-Apr-21 09:30:09

And likewise my exhalations must be going up her shield.

It's the upside down position I am talking about.

Ellianne Fri 02-Apr-21 09:31:20

I agree, the increase in price is fair.

BlueSky Fri 02-Apr-21 09:32:45

Glad you mentioned it, I haven’t had my hair trimmed since last year and I always have a dry cut. If they are no longer allowed to, I’ll trim my hair myself!

JulieNoted Fri 02-Apr-21 09:38:40

I find it odd to be truthful, because surely having to blow dry hair after styling could be said to be dangerous? All those Covid particles being blown around the salon? Might as well take down all the perspex screens between stations!

timetogo2016 Fri 02-Apr-21 09:38:44

Same here BlueSky.

JenniferEccles Fri 02-Apr-21 09:43:15

My hairdresser phoned me a few days ago to offer me an appointment as soon as they were open. Yippee!
I always just have a dry cut and I am certain she would have mentioned if I would have to have it washed there first.

I guess every establishment is entitled to make its own rules and price increases are to be expected, but I can’t help feeling that ‘because of covid’ will be used to bring about changes for months if not years to come.

suziewoozie Fri 02-Apr-21 11:46:21

A lot of hairdressers aren’t doing blow dries either- their establishments, their rules.