Gransnet forums

Chat

Hairdressing - dry cut price increase

(118 Posts)
supernanauna1 Thu 01-Apr-21 19:32:00

I have always had my hair dry cut. Before Covid, I paid about £16/17 a time.

After the first lockdown, I discovered that both my local hairdressers had stopped doing dry cuts (because of the danger of Covid, they said) and I now had to have my hair washed before cutting. All very well, but they had added £10+ onto the price.

I'm one of those odd people who hates going to the hairdresser. I'm a bit anti-social and dread having to make small talk. With a dry cut, I'm in and out in a few minutes and that suits me fine.

One hairdresser tried to tell me that it was the law that they are no longer allowed to do a dry cut. I think it was just an excuse to bring in more money!

Has another OP come across this?

I'm so annoyed by it that I'm very tempted to just let my hair grow and pin it back. I'd probably look like a scarecrow but it's worth a try to avoid spending even more time in the hairdressers!

maggie49 Sun 04-Apr-21 20:49:58

My hair got quite long during the lockdown and I went online and watched a few videos on how to do an updo so that I could wear it up. Had to buy a clamp but it looks much tidier and I'm thinking I will continue to keep it longer and will not need to visit the hairdresser so often.

Caitlin Sun 04-Apr-21 22:21:24

So, suzi woozie, if not doing blow dries, what, shampoo & set?.

suziewoozie Sun 04-Apr-21 23:44:59

Caitlin

So, suzi woozie, if not doing blow dries, what, shampoo & set?.

I don’t understand what you’re saying.

Saetana Mon 05-Apr-21 00:16:37

I always have dry cuts - my hair ideally is about an inch long on top and shaved to No 2 at the back and sides. When my hairdressers doubled the price from £10 to £20 (they are a teaching salon) because mine needs to be done by an experienced stylist (double crown), I decided to get my husband to start doing it with our clippers that I use for his skinhead cut. Not ideal as he cannot do the blending in that hairdressers can do but most hairdressers are totally crap with hair clippers for women anyway. I've had better success in the past with barbers as they are more used to using hair clippers. I detest having my hair washed by someone else so will not pay for that under any circumstances. Obviously I make sure my hair is clean if I am going to a salon.

scourw Mon 05-Apr-21 01:48:06

I can understand the hairdressers who insist on a wash first. If rigorous handwashing can disrupt the covid particles then I'd think shampoo would do the same. And then the blow-drying would be on pretty virus free hair? I'm just waiting for my second jag and a week more and then I'm there - however our local hairdresser wants to do it! And happy to pay some more. I could pass for a highland cow these days

Esspee Mon 05-Apr-21 07:36:16

Our hairdressers open today. Personally I don’t care how much he charges. I’ve decided I am going to give him a huge tip for fitting me in on day 1.
Long flowing locks looked great in my youth, now I just look unkempt.

Harmonypuss Mon 05-Apr-21 08:15:06

I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how much some of you ladies have been paying for a bog-standard cut & blow dry!

Some of the before covid figures and post lockdown increases I've seen on this thread have been enough to make my hair curl without a trip to a hairdresser!

I'd been using my hairdresser (in the southern suburbs of Birmingham) for about 5yrs up to the start of all the lockdowns and she's never increased the price from the £13 she charged the first time I ever went to her.

She has recently been in touch to say that she'll be opening back up soon and asked whether I minded a £1 increase per visit due to her needing to pay for sanitiser, face shield etc. As I've always given her a good percentage as a tip anyway, a £1 increase is neither here nor there. I would have expected a bigger increase, especially as I appreciate that these businesses have been particularly hard hit, but my hairdresser is only trying to cover her additional costs and not (as some others appear to be doing) expecting customers to cover her mortgage payments for the past year!

suziewoozie Mon 05-Apr-21 08:37:06

I find it odd that people find it odd that there is such a huge variation in prices. Just like restaurants, and most goods and services in a market economy. As consumers we decide what we are willing to pay based on firstly affordability and then a whole host of other factors. I love my hairdresser - I’ve know her since she was a little girl in primary school and my dd brought her home to tea. I’m aware of various aspects in her private life that I’m in awe of how she’s dealt with and what a lovely caring human being she is. I also know something about the financial hit she’s taken during the pandemic. My income has remained the same, my expenditure has plummeted. Not only do I not care about any increase, she’ll be getting whopping tips from me for the foreseeable.

No one has a right to expect unnecessary services like hairdressing to be cheap. I find some of the attitudes on here quite unkind and entitled.

grannysyb Mon 05-Apr-21 08:49:15

I pay £36 for a cut and blow dry, I think it's good value compared with other hairdressers round here. I won't be surprised if the prices have gone up, rent and rates are very high in this area, and I'm amazed that people are upset if prices have gone up, hairdressers have had a rough time over the last year.

Parky Mon 05-Apr-21 08:49:38

My hairdresser is very reasonable, cut and colour £45. Would happily pay any increase if we ever get out of our total lockdown

Shropshirelass Mon 05-Apr-21 09:16:46

I always have mine wet cut but my husband has a dry cut and the stylist just sprays it with water to damp it down first. Haven’t been since December but hope to go soon so will see if the rules have changed. Can’t see why they would have though.

Loz500 Mon 05-Apr-21 09:27:50

I wouldn’t object to a small price increase due to the year we’ve all encountered, and at the end of the day we don’t get a choice, pay it, or find somewhere cheaper ! Not heard of no more dry cutting, but will ask next time I go just out of curiosity.

Flakesdayout Mon 05-Apr-21 10:12:35

After my OH's last trim of my hair, I wont be going back to a hairdresser for a while! I do not have my hair washed there due to a problem with my neck and it is not comfortable to have a backwash and I do not want their breath in my face. Looks like I may be avoiding hairdressers for a while. My friend had her hair done after last lockdown, it was more expensive and she had to have it washed.

MaggieMay69 Tue 06-Apr-21 13:01:39

I think after the fact none of us have been able to go to salons we should have been able to save money for the increases so many businesses have had to make just to keep afloat.

effalump Sun 11-Apr-21 11:35:22

All prices will escalate madly because every tax payer is going to have to help pay back Rishi Sunak's spending spree. I feel sorry for people with mortgages. I don't know what the current interest rates are on mortgages but when I bought my house, 36 years ago, the interest rate was 14.75%. The trouble is that this is going to take decades, so it's not just us, it's kids, grand-kids and possible even great-grandkids. It may be time to get use to living a very basic and minimalist lifestyle. Buy cars that are 'transport' not status symbols. Get rid of the Peloton and start walking. Eat seasonal food, in fact, grow your own. I'm not kidding.

amymorris01 Mon 12-Apr-21 17:25:37

Always tipped my hairdresser. I thought everybody did. ?‍♂️

BlueBelle Tue 13-Apr-21 16:44:37

Just had my usual wash cut and blow dry yipppppeeee and the price has stayed the same £22 it took a good hour as it had grown so much