Gransnet forums

Chat

Hairdressing - dry cut price increase

(118 Posts)
supernanauna1 Thu 01-Apr-21 19:32:00

I have always had my hair dry cut. Before Covid, I paid about £16/17 a time.

After the first lockdown, I discovered that both my local hairdressers had stopped doing dry cuts (because of the danger of Covid, they said) and I now had to have my hair washed before cutting. All very well, but they had added £10+ onto the price.

I'm one of those odd people who hates going to the hairdresser. I'm a bit anti-social and dread having to make small talk. With a dry cut, I'm in and out in a few minutes and that suits me fine.

One hairdresser tried to tell me that it was the law that they are no longer allowed to do a dry cut. I think it was just an excuse to bring in more money!

Has another OP come across this?

I'm so annoyed by it that I'm very tempted to just let my hair grow and pin it back. I'd probably look like a scarecrow but it's worth a try to avoid spending even more time in the hairdressers!

watermeadow Sun 04-Apr-21 10:34:10

I’ve only once had my hair washed at the hairdresser’s. It was horrible and expensive. I can’t cut my hair but I can wash and dry it (quick rub with a towel) so will never pay someone else to do it.

Babs758 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:46:44

The last time I visited my hairdresser was in august I think. I had my hair washed, dyed and cut but said no to the blowdry. I was worried about spread of particles. Since then I have cut and dyed my hair twice - but looking forward to getting it done professionally again.

inishowen Sun 04-Apr-21 10:47:49

My hairdressers no longer do a dry cut which was £12. They now charge £20 for a wash and cut. I wash my hair daily so resent paying to have it washed.

Gwiz5 Sun 04-Apr-21 10:55:25

I think it’s a personal preference for many stylists. I am blessed to have been with the same awesome stylist for the last 15 years. She has her own business and during lock down I paid monthly towards my next hair appointment as did many of her clients. This has allowed her to prepare for opening and purchase all PPE/hand gel laundering costs escalating and stock being purchased during a really difficult time. It’s my way of helping a small local business who happens to be the best stylist I have ever had .

Rosina Sun 04-Apr-21 10:56:48

When my local salon opened again they explained that they had to increase prices because, along with the huge loss of income, they had to refit the salon with screens etc and provide the sanitising equipment. They said that they would bring prices down to the usual level after a month or so - and they did. Everyone understood it was price increases or no salon - and it was only about five pounds. I will happily pay that to keep a hardworking couple going - they are fair and decent, and would not charge extra were it not necessary, and I don't doubt most of their clients feel the same.

Dearknees1 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:03:50

You could look for a new hairdresser who will do a drycut. I don't know if mine would but I think she'd say for most women wet hair is easier tocut. I guess it depends on the type of hair and style. My hairdresser is self employed so will have lost income. I would accept a small price increase. Some people tip. I don't but I've known her for a long time and have paid her for appointments missed during lockdown as it's not her fault she can't work.

Noreen3 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:06:19

I only go when I have a colour,so I'm not sure about the dry cuts.I was told that I have to have a patch test for my colour,as I've had my covid jab.Good point about the shields Ellianne,that's what my hairdresser was wearing after last lockdown,doesn't seem right.They had put their prices up then,I'll see what's happened this time.It won't be the relaxing experience it used to be,no magazines or coffee.

SusieFlo Sun 04-Apr-21 11:10:15

I can’t see the reasoning either. My hairdresser does dry cuts but asks us to wash it at home first. I think maybe they all make their own rules. At the moment I’d pay anything for a cut! Well, almost.
They’ve lost an awful lot of income over the last year.

Lin663 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:12:29

supernanauna1

I have always had my hair dry cut. Before Covid, I paid about £16/17 a time.

After the first lockdown, I discovered that both my local hairdressers had stopped doing dry cuts (because of the danger of Covid, they said) and I now had to have my hair washed before cutting. All very well, but they had added £10+ onto the price.

I'm one of those odd people who hates going to the hairdresser. I'm a bit anti-social and dread having to make small talk. With a dry cut, I'm in and out in a few minutes and that suits me fine.

One hairdresser tried to tell me that it was the law that they are no longer allowed to do a dry cut. I think it was just an excuse to bring in more money!

Has another OP come across this?

I'm so annoyed by it that I'm very tempted to just let my hair grow and pin it back. I'd probably look like a scarecrow but it's worth a try to avoid spending even more time in the hairdressers!

Wow! You sure are grumpy...

SJV07 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:14:36

I have a nice young woman who travels to me and cuts my hair dry, and my husband's. We pay her appropriately and fuel.

She uses a mask & hand sanitizer etc. Very nice person. Well worth considering a travelling hairdresser.

Aepgirl Sun 04-Apr-21 11:18:12

Your hairdresser is quite correct. Mine has put her prices up, but just think how much money we have saved by not having hairdos for such a long time. They still have to maintain their salons, pay business rates, etc, and now have the added cost of PPE, etc.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:25:25

I fully expect my hairdresser to increase the prices again, they did when they reopened last time, I have an appointment at end of April couldn’t get in before hand, so I’m really excited, as I haven’t been shopping in the lockdown as such I’ve saved money so I won’t be quibbling over and extra couple of pounds! Our hairdresser will still be doing dry cuts I don’t have them myself

Daisymae Sun 04-Apr-21 11:25:55

I'm currently paying £29 for a wet cut at home while is actually more than I was paying for a cut and blow dry at a salon pre Covid. I will go back to the Salon when I consider it safe to do so but feel stuck at the moment.

Olive53 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:32:13

What a load of rubbish. I have my hair dry cut as it’s naturally curly and they can see when dry where the curls are
Just an excuse to get more money out of you imo x

4allweknow Sun 04-Apr-21 11:33:47

Do men going to have a haircut need to have a hair wash? I thought they just had some water sprayed on. Will children need to have a shampoo etc? Seems strange. You can probably check somewhere in the mass of guidance what hairdressers are allowed to do to enable them to open now.

Alioop Sun 04-Apr-21 11:34:18

My hairdresser prices went up after 1st lockdown, so I'm waiting on what will happen this time. Well when ours are allowed to open again....

Fashionista1 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:35:21

On occasion I have been a shampooist in my brother's salon to help out. You would be amazed at the state of some people's hair. There are people who don't wash their hair regularly and it is unpleasant to work with - greasy and limp, smelly, dry and frizzy etc.. Hair is always better to cut if it is wet and much easier to be precise when sectioning the cut. Some people wash their hair at home on the morning of the cut and then the stylist just sprays it damp which I think is reasonable, but if hair is unwashed then I think the salon are right to insist they should wash it first. They also have to pay the shampooist.

Lilyflower Sun 04-Apr-21 11:38:02

An extra tenner on £16! My hairdresser usually charhes me £80 for a cut, olour and blow dry and she has phoned to say her charges were increasing.

Fashionista1 Sun 04-Apr-21 11:40:33

The salon have had to pay overheads whilst closed, i.e. business rates, rent etc. I think bearing in mind the total loss of their income I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra either.

cangran Sun 04-Apr-21 11:47:43

During the first lockdown I could see the owner of the hairdresser's I go to there most days, supervising a huge makeover to make the salon Covid safe. This must have cost a great deal at a time the business wasn't making any money. I was surprised that the price of my shampoo and cut hadn't increased the first time I went back as I was prepared for this and would have completely understood the reasons for a rise. I've saved a lot by only having my hair cut twice in the last year and I'd like to see small local businesses such as this supported so that more can survive.

LinkyPinky Sun 04-Apr-21 11:53:05

If there is such a rule, it was probably imposed before the government finally caught on that Covid is airborne and rarely if ever picked up on surfaces.. Ensuring fresh air and ventilation will protect both the hairdressers and yourself. Could you offer to wash your hair yourself and arrive with it freshly washed and still damp?

Notright Sun 04-Apr-21 11:55:35

You probably let your hair cut 5 or 6 times a year at what was £17 a time. You haven't spent that this year so why begrudge a higher cost? I shall be only to happy to pay more, they're lucky to not have had to go our of business. They've lost a years takings and in a business that is a lot of money. Think about it.

kwest Sun 04-Apr-21 12:05:09

I have now let my hair go white during the lock-down and it looks o.k. I was my hair before going to the hairdresser as I think back wash basins make face to face contact more probable. I am in and out in less than 30 mins. She sprays it with water from a bottle cuts it and blows it dry. I think it is £20.00 some times and £25.00 at other times. Sometimes I want a much smaller trim than others, just the back and the front outline really.

leeds22 Sun 04-Apr-21 12:09:41

My hairdresser's prices have risen to cover PPE, which I think is fair enough. For the occasional cuts I have managed during covid, I have washed my own hair prior to leaving home and the stylist then sprays it with water when I get there. No question that they have to wash it.

icanhandthemback Sun 04-Apr-21 12:09:41

You pay your money, you take your choice. If you don't like the added expense for the wash, find another hair dresser who will give you a dry cut. There will be somebody out there who will help...of course, they might cut corners in other ways too.