Gransnet forums

Chat

Cosmetic surgery - would you, have you?

(134 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 07-Apr-21 11:25:49

I've just read about Ben Affleck asking Jennifer Lopes where does she keep her 'fountain of youth' as she looks the same now as she did when she was much younger. Of course many celebs won't admit to cosmetic surgery. Would you have work done by a cosmetic surgeon or have you, if so what? and if so, have you told anyone other than family members?

avitorl Wed 07-Apr-21 17:36:23

I've had Botox and liked the results but I did go to a very experienced Doctor. I haven't been able to have it done since Covid but will have it again when I can. I don't like the frown marks which make me look miserable and grumpy. I'm ok with my laughter lines though!

janeainsworth Wed 07-Apr-21 17:56:36

avitorl I've had Botox and liked the results but I did go to a very experienced Doctor

I think that’s the thing, if you go to someone skilled & experienced, the results will look natural. You won’t look noticeably different from yourself, just better than before.

Scentia Wed 07-Apr-21 18:01:40

Oh I would definitely have my boobs done. After breastfeeding for 4 years I have saggy/empty boobs which look horrible now I have gained a bit of weight. I intend to use my pension lump sum to have them done!

Lesley60 Sun 11-Apr-21 10:43:07

I’ve never had anything done, I remember thinking a few years back that my eyelids were drooping and wondered if I could afford it would I have them done, then one of my colleagues came into work having just had hers done and I was so pleased I couldn’t afford it as she looked permanently surprised it wasn’t a good look

Janet5116 Sun 11-Apr-21 10:47:04

I confess I had my nose done when I was 28 and don't regret it. Was made redundant at 55 so me and another women at work had our eye bags removed and top lids sorted! Don't regret that it is very hard getting a job when you look tired all the time. It got me several good jobs and I retired at 65 still feeling good. At 70 I have some wrinkles and my eyes look at bit tired again but not as bad as they would have been. Personal choice I think really it has been very helpful to me, it is a competitive world sadly!

GrannyBettie Sun 11-Apr-21 10:51:18

I've had plastic surgery and not regretted it. However, it is important to go to people who are well respected rather than clinics offering cut price deals. It might be more expensive but worth it.

henetha Sun 11-Apr-21 10:52:08

I haven't had anything at all done. But I think I might have if I could have afforded it. Just a little chin tuck, eye bag tightening, possibly.
But, at heart, I'm not sure about non-essential operations.

Hilarybee Sun 11-Apr-21 10:54:56

I haven’t had any cosmetic surgery but I think it’s fine if others do. Most of us like to keep ourselves groomed. We go to the hairdressers, wear makeup and choose clothes to enhance our appearance. It’s just another way to look good and to feel good about ourselves

Moggycuddler Sun 11-Apr-21 10:57:33

No, I'm content to age. I'm 64 now and the only people whose opinions I care about love me as I am. Anyway, I don't think I look bad for my age really.

Hellsbelles Sun 11-Apr-21 10:59:21

Hmmm .... I would have :
Breast reduction
Tummy tuck
Upper eyelid surgery
Sadly can't afford it and I'm a wuss.
So it's saggy , baggy me !

busylizzy Sun 11-Apr-21 10:59:29

I would have cosmetic dental surgery in a flash...if I could afford it and it could be done without all the bone grafts the dentist said would be needed beforehand. Some of my second teeth didn't come through and I've been wearing a plate from a young age so the bone there wouldn't support implants. I've always hated my misshapen smile. I'd also have a one sided brow / lid lift as one lid and brow droops making me look a bit tipsy. . Otherwise I'm ok with my normal aged wrinkles!

Lulubelle500 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:03:01

I had a friend back in the day who had her nose done then her breasts. She looked marvellous but her father was a surgeon so she knew just where to go. Cost much more than I could afford, then or now. (Sigh....) Didn't particularly envy her though as I have 'young look' genes, long may they last . I do envy my DIL who had her eyes lasered for her short sight last year. I wear contact lenses which are fine now but my eyes will deteriorate as I get older.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:05:59

Nope not for me, I’m quite happy with myself apart from my weight which I’m doing something about and it’s coming off slowly but surely, but if someone feels unhappy with certain parts of themselves then I have no problem with the fact they want to fix it each to their own,

Glenco Sun 11-Apr-21 11:10:40

I would just love to be able to clip my jowels behind my ears, but I'm not planning on a facelift.

Rendella Sun 11-Apr-21 11:14:17

I have had Botox on my frown lines, but I was not particularly happy with the result. I would have it done again, but next time go to a different practitioner. I worked in computing, and all that squinting at screens has left me with very deep frown lines unfortunately.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:14:52

I might consider it if I was involved in an accident that left scars on my face, but otherwise no.

Coming up for 70, I really do not think my looks would improve all that much whatever was done, and as I can't afford plastic surgery, it is out of the question.

If I could afford it, I would hesitate to have surgery done that isn't strictly necessary.

debgranny Sun 11-Apr-21 11:16:51

I had a good looking Sister who was quite vain she lost her husband at age 48 and decided at 60 she would have a face lift it didn’t stop there as she had another 5 years later and at the age of 72 was booked in for another one, sadly took her own life before the next surgery it just goes to show it may not make you happy. I haven’t had any surgeries at age 67 although I thought my sister looked good.

icanhandthemback Sun 11-Apr-21 11:20:31

I'd like my veiny face done but the rest of me can just hang!

cupcake1 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:31:25

No, but only because I’m a wuss. I would have fillers and an eyebrow lift if I was braver but it’s something you have to keep up as it’s only got a limited time span for that youthful look. Knowing me if I had these procedures I would then want to have my neck done and where does it stop? I don’t blame anyone having cosmetic surgery if that’s what they want, good luck to them.

Beau1958 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:40:38

I think it looks odd when they have a stretched face with old arms hands and neck. Grow old gracefully it’s what’s on the inside that matters.

Aepgirl Sun 11-Apr-21 11:47:44

I’ve always said ‘no’ but when I look at my droopy eyelids it’s very tempting. However, it’s also expensive and high maintenance, so I think I’ll stay as I am (getting more wrinkles and droopy) but not look in the mirror too often.

Mamiejan Sun 11-Apr-21 11:52:17

I’m happy with my face ,I’ve been told I don’t look my age and am thankful for «good genes «........however I would love a tummy tuck ,yes I know it’s cheating , but I’d certainly get rid of my saggy belly ,I’m actually looking into it !(the surgery that is ,not the saggy tum ?? )

4allweknow Sun 11-Apr-21 11:52:30

I do know someone who had a breast reduction. Had suffered really bad pain and discomfort Changed her life. For facial effects, no thanks you. The fillers and the likes have to be constantly repeated and have read that when they go "down" you feel you look worse than before and can end up wanting a bigger dose to compensate. For surgery, I thought medics were sworn to do no harm: the state of some of the personalities on TV makes you wonder about some of their ethics.

Totallylost Sun 11-Apr-21 12:00:38

I always say I’m vain enough to want a facelift but too vain to have one if that makes sense, you see some awful results. What i have looked at in the past few weeks though is what Judy Murray has had done, she looks terrific.

sundowngirl Sun 11-Apr-21 12:04:04

I had botox and fillers for both my children's weddings and I loved it. I felt the same me but much fresher. I don't like the old wrinkly me I see in the mirror. I can't afford it, but if my six numbers came up on the lottery I would book myself in for the works in a flash! We have our hair done, our nails polished etc why not cosmetic surgery if it makes us feel better about ourselves.