Gransnet forums

Chat

Cosmetic surgery - would you, have you?

(134 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 07-Apr-21 11:25:49

I've just read about Ben Affleck asking Jennifer Lopes where does she keep her 'fountain of youth' as she looks the same now as she did when she was much younger. Of course many celebs won't admit to cosmetic surgery. Would you have work done by a cosmetic surgeon or have you, if so what? and if so, have you told anyone other than family members?

Rosina Sun 11-Apr-21 15:30:06

I have seen two excellent results from surgery - Mary Archer, who has retained the same elegant unlined face for decades after cosmetic surgery years ago, and Sharon Osbourne, who used to look like Ozzy's Mum, but now has a beautiful face. (Sadly she does not seem to have a personality to match). However, Felicity Kendal looks hampster like, and so many people seem to have disasters that result in plumped up, false looking pouty cheeks; the neck needs doing too if you are having your face smoothed out, and what about hands? Hauling up everything must be so expensive - better to let it slide gently southwards, and just keep smiling!

fuseta Sun 11-Apr-21 15:45:10

I recently bought a 2 in one face massager by Amirce from Amazon. It was under £20.00 and when used with a serum it definitely tightens up the facial muscles. I just use it if I am sitting watching television. You only need a couple of minutes on each area. I am really pleased with it. It just takes a couple of batteries.

CBBL Sun 11-Apr-21 15:55:47

I would have my uneven breasts lifted and rebalanced if I had plenty of money - which I don't! I would consider buying a wig if I ever went anywhere "posh", as my hair is extremely fine.
However, I'm a small person with equally small extremities (size 2 feet and I take children's sizes in gloves and hats), so I doubt I would be able to buy one to fit!

curlz Sun 11-Apr-21 15:58:18

I haven’t had anything done , my best friend has had a neck and jowl lift and breast implants and always has Botox and fillers and I must say she looks fantastic, she is 67 and single , l think she scares a lot of men her age off from dating her cos she looks so good . She does get offers from men in there fifties that she’s not interested in though . If you can afford it and it makes you happy then go for it , you only get one life !

Maggiemaybe Sun 11-Apr-21 16:30:41

I'm sure I'd look better with a neck and jowl lift too, but I'm too much of a scaredy cat to put it to the test. Otherwise, I'm happy enough with how I look, as long as I don't frighten the horses. grin

However, two colleagues and I read Toyah Willcox's Diary of a Facelift when it came out 15 years ago, and made a pact then and there that if our office Lotto syndicate came up we were all heading to Paris and booking in with the surgeon she used. Toyah was very open and honest about the whole thing - her face aged very early and she looked years older than she was, which was a huge problem in her line of work. The procedure she had made an amazing difference.

Toyah appeared locally at a showing of Quadraphenia a couple of years ago and I had the chance of seeing her at very close quarters. She still looks incredible.

alltheglitterglue Sun 11-Apr-21 16:36:55

I regularly have Botox, my frown lines made me look permanently angry. Botox makes me look like a fresher version of myself.

Before I had anything done I really did my homework and found someone who concurred with my approach of ‘less is more’. Practitioners offer free consultations, I looked at photographs of their work, discussed what I wanted and immediately discounted practitioners who tried to suggest other, treatments that I hadn’t seen them to discuss. I saw two people before I made my choice.

When the post-lockdown flurry has died down I will be having cheek fillers and Profhilo in my lower face. Again though, I will be taking it slowly and will choose less rather than more.

I want to look like a better version of me, not younger and I certainly don’t want one of those waxy looking faces.

Babs1953 Sun 11-Apr-21 16:52:00

Quite a few years ago, I had a breast reduction as they were two large for my body. They were a size 32 J and I was less than 5 ft in height! I'm very glad that I had them done as they had caused me a lot of back ache and I had to wear size 14 tops with size 12 trousers!

Harmonypuss Sun 11-Apr-21 17:03:17

I had a gastric bypass 3yrs ago and lost about 11 stone (although I've put a couple back on this year - back to the gym this week I guess), so I've got a lot of loose skin which actually chafes so needs removing, also I've lost all the fullness from my boobs, I've heard this referred to (on tv) as boobs like spaniel ears - never a truer word said!
Getting the original surgery wasn't cheap (almost £10k) but I don't consider that to have been "cosmetic" as it's practically saved my life, it's the secondary surgeries you need (unless you're happy to go from huge to saggy and do nothing) to correct all the excess skin. There's the legs, belly and arms that need skin removing/tightening and then the boobs need lifting (rolling up more like!) and these 4 separate surgeries cost in excess of £8k each. I could sit back and do nothing because I've lost all this weight, but then some days I look at myself and wish I'd not had the bypass in the first place because I feel that I look even worse than I did before I started. That's when I have to remind myself that I'm still alive, healthier than I was 3yrs ago and what's a bit of loose skin?
I don't think I'll ever be able to save enough to afford those surgeries so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for my lottery win!

GardenofEngland Sun 11-Apr-21 17:13:01

I would love a thread lift and excess skin from my upper eyelids. I constantly research it but never take it further but maybe this year. If it makes you feel good and can afford it do it!

Elvis58 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:18:51

No personally l would not,but each to their own.
I find they all look a bit weird as they get older facially.

Caro57 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:29:45

I have very hooded eyes and, if it could be guaranteed to work (which it can’t) would consider having a lid ‘tuck’ as it could help with eye sight

Lizbethann55 Sun 11-Apr-21 17:30:59

I would love to have my jowls "lifted" as my whole face seems to sag.
I always wanted my DH to try botox. He has deep vertical "tram"lines above his nose and, as his eyes are quite close together anyway and his nose is large, he always looks fiercely angry and as if he is frowning. The trouble is that he doesn't realise that I meant it!
I have lymphoedema in my right foot and ankle meaning it is permanently swollen and puffy. There is a hospital in Oxford that does surgery on lymph "tubes". I don't know if that is classed as plastic surgery , but I would love to have it done. I expect it will be mind numbingly expensive so it will remain a dream.

Juicylucy Sun 11-Apr-21 17:44:57

I had fillers when I was 59 in my nasalabial folds the part between nose and mouth it happen when you loose fat cells in your face and it droops. I told my family and friends. I was very happy with it and would have it again.

Granless Sun 11-Apr-21 17:59:32

Caro57. My cousin had hooded eyelids - she got them fixed on the NHS.
I would love to have non-evasive surgery - no courage though.

earnshaw Sun 11-Apr-21 18:27:54

i am 73 and all my life have been plagued by acne when i was younger, took all my confidence then the results of trying to cover the spots etc, the doctors then were no help at all , if i could have had some sort of procedure to cover the scars i would have dont it like a shot, now its wrinkles as well

mimiEliza Sun 11-Apr-21 18:30:35

Janesainsworth, please could you let me know the name+ practice where you had this done. Many thanks

Ellie Anne Sun 11-Apr-21 18:46:25

I would like to have a jowl lift and maybe some fillers but I can’t afford it. Would also like my teeth fixed.
I had a breast reduction a few years back after wanting one for years but being refused on Nhs. It was well worth it because I am only 5ft 2 and was totally out of proportion, uncomfortable,and have been self conscious about it all my life.

hollysteers Sun 11-Apr-21 19:01:18

I had a broken nose and it was large, so had a nose job at 35. Excellent as it’s not a tiny ski slope. It’s nice,as someone earlier said, to just forget about your nose!
After my husband died, I had my eyelids done and liposuction under my chin. Again, an excellent result.
Before lockdown, I had Botox and fillers regularly, not overdone, it’s wonderful. My best friend is very high maintenance, so I see how things look on her before I take the plunge. She is 61, but looks about 40, and very natural looking.
Now I see my number 11s between my eyes and will refresh myself when the world calms down and I’m out and about again,

LucyW Sun 11-Apr-21 19:52:50

People have always commented on how young I looked. However, having gone through three bereavements in the past three years, two of which were sudden (my brother in an accident when he was 59 and my husband with a cardiac arrest at 54) I know I have aged. I have been in contact with a surgeon in Glasgow who is well known for the amazing work he does and am waiting to hear back from him. I would not consider anything major as I couldn't manage the recovery time but fillers, botox, one stitch lift - yes. I just want to look a bit fresher and have a more defined jawline. I don't spend money on gym memberships, expensive haircuts or facials so I tell myself some "tweakments" are my indulgences. If the surgeon tells me professional scaffolding and poly filler are the only way forward I will just have to accept the lines that have appeared! Finger crossed he can help.

maryelizabethsadler Sun 11-Apr-21 20:29:42

I think the most attractive feature of any face is a smile or a laugh, so I'll focus on those, thank you, and they don't cost a penny!

Nvella Sun 11-Apr-21 20:47:17

Sorry - I have never yet seen anyone improved by plastic surgery and most look absolutely weird.

janeainsworth Sun 11-Apr-21 21:21:23

mimiEliza
Janesainsworth, please could you let me know the name+ practice where you had this done. Many thanks

Sorry, where I had what done? I think you may have the wrong poster!

MerylStreep Sun 11-Apr-21 21:34:43

MimiEliza
What your getting confused with, is: Janeainsworth was quoting another posters words.
When you see italics posted they are someone else’s words.

janeainsworth Sun 11-Apr-21 21:36:53

Nvella I have never yet seen anyone improved by plastic surgery and most look absolutely weird.
Do you know many people who have had plastic surgery?

Did you know that plastic surgery evolved from the work of Sir Archibald McIndoe who treated World War 2 RAF veterans who had been horribly disfigured by severe facial burns?

One of the charities I support is Saving Faces savingfaces.co.uk , which raises funds for the Facial Surgery Research Foundation.
If you take a look at their website you will see it is dedicated to improving outcomes for people with severe facial injury following trauma or diseases such as cancer.

Please don’t be so dismissive. Whether someone is severely disfigured, or just very unhappy with some aspect of their appearance, plastic surgery can give them the confidence they need to face the world and lead a near-normal life.

Caro I too know someone who had her hooded eyelids reduced on the NHS. The difference was amazing. Interference with vision is justification for surgery (or should be).

janeainsworth Sun 11-Apr-21 21:38:54

Thanks Meryl I’d forgotten I’d posted that grin