Gransnet forums

Chat

300,000 Gransnetters! Really?

(51 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 09-Apr-21 11:10:38

Hello Everyone
I've just seen on the GN newsletter that there are 300,000 members of Gransnet.?
(It's mentioned in the final paragraph about making friends during lockdown.)
This can't be right, surely, or is it? ?
What do you think?

Callistemon Sat 10-Apr-21 10:04:45

I’m fairly certain that lots of people will have just signed up for the competitions and for the late-lamented Book Club, that gave away 50 books a month. They’ll just dip in to enter - the competitions will be featured in the various online compers’ sites.
And it's not that often that we see a familiar name amongst the winners.

Charleygirl5 Sat 10-Apr-21 10:08:20

It is those who only apply if there is money involved- they irritate the hell out of me!!!

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 10:12:42

Yes Charley and I recall that on a recent competition thread such mercenary types had the cheek to query our credentials!

A regular poster recently won a competition and she announced it on the GM thread. There was much pleased surprise as it is such a rare occurrence.

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 10:14:39

Maggiemaybe 50 books a month! Wow! ?

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 10:17:43

Trisher I'm awake, as opposed to up, there is a huge difference!

trisher Sat 10-Apr-21 11:06:42

As I remember it was one book a month and occasional comps for 50 books. in the book club. I did get some books to read and it was interesting because some I would never have bought. And a few years ago I won the summer reads bundle (at least I think it was summer, anyway it was so lovely to get a parcel of books)

trisher Sat 10-Apr-21 11:08:59

Unless you meant 50 of the same book each month and 50 GNers getting one??? If you did apologies. My brain is on slow this morning.

Maggiemaybe Sat 10-Apr-21 11:24:36

That was it, trisher, that’s what I meant. GNHQ gave away 50 copies of the same (often very good) newly-published book every month. I was lucky enough to win one quite regularly. The deal was that you were supposed to read it and leave a short review or a question for the author on the Book Club thread. A lot didn’t bother.

trisher Sat 10-Apr-21 11:55:21

I loved thatMaggiemaybe it was so nice to get an unexpected book through the post. I wonder if it's covid related or maybe GN isn't seen as a suitable forum, perhaps because people didn't post reviews.

Chewbacca Sat 10-Apr-21 12:11:18

A couple of years ago I won a competition on here for over £600 worth of books. I seem to recall that there was about 50 books in total; recipe books, novels, specific interest, history, geography and one, my absolute favourite, Of Love & War by Lynsey Addario. Fabulous prize to have won.

Riverwalk Sat 10-Apr-21 12:29:58

FannyCornforth

That would be great trisher wouldn't it?
No offence to anyone, but I can't for the life of me understand being a member and not joining in.
That's just me, I really don't mean any offence

Many are the professional competition entrants - and judging by the (unknown) names of the winners there seems to be a lot them!

Also, over the years people must have signed-up then just drifted away, without actually resigning.

Casdon Sat 10-Apr-21 13:27:36

One thing I’ve noticed that of the people who have responded, lots of them are names I don’t recognise, and conversely that lots of regular posters haven’t responded and said they are here- it’s going to be difficult to get a feel for how many are on here on a daily/weekly basis, although it would be nice to know, my guess is that several thousand, maybe more, access daily even if they never post.

Chewbacca Sat 10-Apr-21 13:34:57

I think a lot of us who, in the past have been long standing and very regular posters, just don't bother posting very much these days Casdon. For a whole raft of reasons.

Casdon Sat 10-Apr-21 13:48:24

I’m sure that’s true Chewbacca, I was looking at who was posting on the Good Morning and games threads today and a lot of them hadn’t identified as here on this thread, so it may well be that people are very selective where they post - it’s sad if people no longer feel Gransnet is for them.

Puzzler61 Sat 10-Apr-21 13:52:08

As Jim Royle would say:
- joke alert -
300,000? My a* ! ?

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 19:10:11

375 as of Saturday 7pm

granny12 Sat 10-Apr-21 19:27:22

Thank you. I really enjoy Gransnet = have only ever posted once - have 12 assorted grandchildren - from 6 assorted families in my life. I feel a very fortunate old Granny.

Amberone Sat 10-Apr-21 19:53:47

To be fair what it says is

We've gathered the most useful pieces of advice from the collective wisdom of over 300,000 gransnetters

which just means that since it started here have been 300,000 users I assume.

Nandalot Sat 10-Apr-21 20:08:40

Okay, duly reminded, I’’ll go and post on the other thread that I am here!

Tangerine Sat 10-Apr-21 20:12:14

It never occurred to me that such a high number of people would be on Gransnet.

NanaandGrampy Sun 11-Apr-21 09:32:56

Its a case of lies , lies and damn statistics I suspect.

It depends on how you count the number of members I think. Many join and post once, never to be seen again, many join not to contribute to the forum but for the competitions. Some join but never post. Some join , leave and re-join with a different name so are counted twice.

Or maybe its a number plucked out of thin air to flog to
advertisers ;-)

suziewoozie Sun 11-Apr-21 09:59:18

Amberone

To be fair what it says is

We've gathered the most useful pieces of advice from the collective wisdom of over 300,000 gransnetters

which just means that since it started here have been 300,000 users I assume.

You’re making an excellent point - going back to the original source rather than an interpretation by someone. This happens endlessly on GN and all forms of social media and MSM. I never understand why people don’t do more checking themselves before they pile in with opinions

trisher Mon 12-Apr-21 10:09:07

The signing in thread hasn't reached 500 yet so there can't be that many. Lots of new names though.

kircubbin2000 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:51:35

foxie48

Well I don't get the newsletter despite signing up for it, twice! It's not a very user friendly forum though. I use another very regularly and it tells me when a thread was posted and by whom and it also gives people the opportunity to like a post, which I find helpful in discussions. It also immediately takes you back to the next post if you leave it and come back. these are little things but definitely make it more pleasurable to use, nothing worse than clicking on an active post to find it was started 6 months ago and it's 12 pages long or going back to something and having to search for the latest posts.

It is an awkward site and I dont think it will change. I used to belong to another forum where we all had a cartoon avatar. When you logged on it listed who was present so you could either chat to them on the forum or privately.
You got a great sense of people's personality whereas here I still don't recognise most names and have no idea who you all are.

FannyCornforth Mon 12-Apr-21 11:52:55

trisher

The signing in thread hasn't reached 500 yet so there can't be that many. Lots of new names though.

Weird isn't it.
Kircubbin It would be great to have avatars