Gransnet forums

Chat

The Great Gransnet Virtual Grand National Sweepstake!???

(147 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 10:50:28

Hello Everyone! ?

Anyone up for it?

I'll put the names into a hat (other suitable receptacles are available, thank goodness)
You (hopefully) express an interest, and I'll allocate you a horse. ?

I'm not sure how the prize thing will (ie can) work ?; but we can cross that bridge when we come to it...

LauraNorder Sat 10-Apr-21 18:08:38

That’s sad Poppyred.
I too have mixed feelings about horse racing but I suppose I feel that the horses are so well loved, so well cared for and have the best of everything during their life. Maybe that just eases my conscience, I don’t know.

Nannagarra Sat 10-Apr-21 18:11:14

Thanks Fanny! I enjoyed that.
Well done, Laura.

nightowl Sat 10-Apr-21 18:13:51

So a bit of fun ends in one horse dead and a jockey in hospital.

LauraNorder I would have to disagree with you that racehorses are well loved, well cared for and have the best of everything. They live a completely unnatural life which does not meet their needs, they are subjected to high levels of stress and danger, and are broken in as babies (one year old for flat racing). I have known several ex or failed racehorses and I can honestly say they are all, without exception messed up either physically or mentally or both.

merlotgran Sat 10-Apr-21 18:15:06

That's Sports Personality of the Year 2021 sorted! Well done, Rachael!

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Apr-21 18:19:00

Thanks for doing it Fanny

LauraNorder Sat 10-Apr-21 18:26:01

Orlin is king for the day and has already had a large whisky and a shoulder massage. I get the remote control all day tomorrow and he gets unlimited tea and coffee on demand.

LauraNorder Sat 10-Apr-21 18:28:37

Orlin was a part time judge at the Queensland Turf Club back in the day. He judged the photo finishes. We rubbed shoulders with many owners, trainers and jockeys all of whom cared deeply for their horses.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 10-Apr-21 18:36:02

nightowl

So a bit of fun ends in one horse dead and a jockey in hospital.

LauraNorder I would have to disagree with you that racehorses are well loved, well cared for and have the best of everything. They live a completely unnatural life which does not meet their needs, they are subjected to high levels of stress and danger, and are broken in as babies (one year old for flat racing). I have known several ex or failed racehorses and I can honestly say they are all, without exception messed up either physically or mentally or both.

Have been around and owned horses all my life, you cannot get a horse to do something it doesn’t want to either by force or cajoling.

DD evented, accidents happen which are always unfortunate.

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 18:57:16

nightowl honestly, why don't you or Madnag start your own thread instead of p***ing in our crisps?

Susiewong65 Sat 10-Apr-21 19:10:48

Thanks FC, that was a lot of fun. Well done Laura !

Millie22 Sat 10-Apr-21 19:15:48

Such a good idea Fanny. Why do some people have to spoil things for others.

Galaxy Sat 10-Apr-21 19:17:36

People are allowed to Express whatever views they want I am afraid. That's the point of the forum.

FannyCornforth Sat 10-Apr-21 19:22:14

Galaxy I don't think that it shouldn't be allowed, but it's a bit daft.
I don't like a lot of things on here but I don't storm on and tell everyone off.
Or is that is what is expected? Does everything have to be a blooming argument?
See I'm at it now.
I give up.

downtoearth Sat 10-Apr-21 20:01:11

And me please

Doodle Sat 10-Apr-21 20:14:36

Thank you Fanny I’m glad I got a horse. A bit of fun.
Well done for taking the trouble ?

Blinko Sat 10-Apr-21 20:26:18

Thanks to FC for taking the time and trouble. Great that Rachel Blackmore won, too!

Poppyred Sun 11-Apr-21 09:09:34

Thank you FC it was fun. I should have kept my big mouth shut! Sorry...?

NotAGran55 Sun 11-Apr-21 11:09:37

Thank you Fanny [Flowers]

FannyCornforth Sun 11-Apr-21 13:51:34

Thank you everyone for your thanks!
And apologies for losing my rag x ?️

Trisha57 Sun 11-Apr-21 20:50:34

Just to add to the comments, thank you so much for taking the trouble to give us all a bit of fun in a rather gloomy world. Much appreciated!

Trisha57 Sun 11-Apr-21 20:55:34

Oh, and ?for LauraNorder!