Gransnet forums

Chat

How the Royal Family might change with Charles (then William) as Monarch?

(134 Posts)
ixion Wed 14-Apr-21 13:49:49

As many here will, hopefully, live to experience the reign of Charles and possibly even William, how do you see the Monarchy and the Royal Family changing, adapting, innovating?
Do you envisage much change?

Namsnanny Wed 14-Apr-21 13:53:50

It depends what external pressures are on the Monarchy.
In general they reflect the society they live in, and cha ge accordingly (re flags and Diana for example).

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 14-Apr-21 14:17:38

I think that Charles has been brought up to be a traditional King, mores the pity, anyone who (apparently) has someone put his toothpaste on his toothpaste for him, is unlikely to change anything.
If there are any changes I think it will have to come from Parliament and the people (us) otherwise things will carry on unchanged for years and years.........
However I do enjoy the pomp and ceremony, which is all part and parcel I suppose and will probably not change.

Namsnanny Wed 14-Apr-21 14:22:15

Well PC and PW seem to talk of 'slimming' down the RF a lot. It would seem to be a likely change.
I'd like to see more openness about their financial situation myself.

merlotgran Wed 14-Apr-21 15:00:54

I think it's unfair to judge Charles on whether or not a flunkey squeezes toothpaste on to his toothbrush.

Any changes he makes will probably be gradual ones, eventually paving the way for William who will be well aware that a more modern RF will be expected of him.

Oopsadaisy, You say, Charles has been brought up to be a traditional King, mores the pity and yet you enjoy the pomp and ceremony. hmm

Bridgeit Wed 14-Apr-21 15:20:16

I think that they will continue & add to the charities they support & to the continued development of The Prince’s Trust that their father Prince Charles started.

Septimia Wed 14-Apr-21 16:25:12

If you look up whether Charles squeezes his own toothpaste you will see that this - like a lot of other rumours - is apparently untrue. He did have to have help with that task (and probably many others) when he broke his arm several years ago.

Daisend1 Wed 14-Apr-21 16:47:15

I am not interested who will inherit the throne.
I see myself as and forever an 'Elizabethan' and recall exactly where I was the day it was announced.
I met my' husband to be' at a street party on the day of the coronation.

GagaJo Wed 14-Apr-21 16:57:19

Despite being a republican, I used to think it would be OK to continue with the monarchy if we could just skip Charles and go straight to William. But he hasn't comported himself with dignity lately either.

Get rid of the lot of them. I'm fed up with their dirty linen and obscene wealth.

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 17:12:50

GagaJo what has William been up to ?

merlotgran Wed 14-Apr-21 17:13:16

What's William done wrong?

Grany Wed 14-Apr-21 17:23:33

I would like the monarchy abolished

Calendargirl Wed 14-Apr-21 17:50:50

Grany

I would like the monarchy abolished

Yes, we are all well aware of your views on the monarchy Grany

Calendargirl Wed 14-Apr-21 17:57:22

I don’t think Charles will be a ‘traditional’ king necessarily.

I believe he has already stated he intends to be ‘defender of faiths’ rather than ‘defender of the faith.’

I think we will see a more streamlined, modern monarchy, more appropriate for nowadays, and even more so with William. More ‘hands on’, less formal.

I hope to live long enough to see both Charles and William crowned.

?

LauraNorder Wed 14-Apr-21 17:58:40

I have my toothpaste put on the brush for me in the evening if Orlin goes up first. I do his if I go up first.
He always does the morning one for us both cos he is always up first.
Now I’m feeling very royal.

Grany Wed 14-Apr-21 18:03:02

Haha Calendargirl

From Republic. The issue now is whether a man with the support of just 27% of the public should step into the role of head of state when his mother dies.

LauraNorder Wed 14-Apr-21 18:03:38

I think Charles will make a good king, thoughtful, reflective and innovative especially regarding the environment. He’ll slim it all down and be more transparent.
I think William in his turn will be the great moderniser.
I do hope some of the great pageantry will continue, we do have tradition that many admire all over the world.

Eloethan Wed 14-Apr-21 18:27:45

There seems to be some appetite in the royal family for "slimming down" though, sadly, those suggesting it don't generally include themselves.

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 18:33:43

I too think Charles will make a good king .

Casdon Wed 14-Apr-21 18:35:53

It’s preferable to use appropriate statistics.
www.statista.com/statistics/863893/support-for-the-monarchy-in-britain-by-age/

PamelaJ1 Wed 14-Apr-21 18:38:22

PC has already taken on some of the Queen’s duties. I think he should be King for a while but perhaps abdication is the way forward?
The Queen has always been adamant that she took on the role of monarch until death. It would be good if William could have a few more years until he becomes King.

Calendargirl Wed 14-Apr-21 18:39:44

I have every confidence that when the Queen dies, not yet I hope, Charles will be crowned King, Grany, whatever the statistics suggest,

Calendargirl Wed 14-Apr-21 18:41:45

Abdication? For whom? The Queen or Charles?

Hopefully neither Pamela.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Apr-21 18:48:39

I've always quite liked him and I don't care for the Royal family as I have said numerous to. I wanted to move to Poundbury at one point as I just like it as concept. I live somewhere quite similar tbh but older.

I think they need to start self funding after the Queen dies, if not before

pigsmayfly. Wed 14-Apr-21 18:53:26

I feel concerned that some grandnetters are reporting William has stepped out of line. I don’t think he has. But I may be wrong. So please Gagajo fill us in. What has William done wrong?