Gransnet forums

Chat

How the Royal Family might change with Charles (then William) as Monarch?

(135 Posts)
ixion Wed 14-Apr-21 13:49:49

As many here will, hopefully, live to experience the reign of Charles and possibly even William, how do you see the Monarchy and the Royal Family changing, adapting, innovating?
Do you envisage much change?

PamelaJ1 Wed 14-Apr-21 19:15:28

Calendargirl

Abdication? For whom? The Queen or Charles?

Hopefully neither Pamela.

I meant when they get a bit too old and deserve a bit of retirement.
Most of us get a few years without as many responsibilities in retirement. I think that the royals deserve that down time too.

Millie22 Wed 14-Apr-21 19:17:36

I've got to like Charles a bit more recently perhaps he's improving with age! and I like William anyway who will make a great king in the future.

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 19:21:51

Serious question - what makes a person a great king?

(Or Queen, although there is little chance any of us will see another Queen Regnant in our lifetimes)

vegansrock Wed 14-Apr-21 21:06:48

Those who say the Queen or Charles should abdicate do not understand the monarchy. That’s not how it works.

sodapop Wed 14-Apr-21 21:10:05

I think Charles will be a good bridge between the Queen and William. He will streamline things without going overboard. I do think there will much bigger changes to the monarchy after Charles.

Grany Wed 14-Apr-21 21:15:15

But Charles and William want to interfere in politics as what t This RF always done, people thought they were above politics. The RF should be above politics A Head of State does not involve him/herself in politics.

Polarbear2 Wed 14-Apr-21 21:17:16

Perhaps they should do... ? (Tongue in cheek). It’d have been good though if the Queen had told Rees Mogg to b*****r off when he lied to her. I’d have been more impressed with her then.

Grany Wed 14-Apr-21 21:21:02

Four major chinks in the armour of Royal Secrecy

1) [Queen’s Consent] power to effectively protect the financial interests of the Queen and Prince Charles in a really dramatic way, by vetting legislation effectively before it goes into the Parliament.

In February, it was revealed that the Queen has vetted over 1,000 laws during her reign as part of a secret procedure used to review laws that affect her. This includes laws ranging from Brexit trade deals to inheritance and land properties; indeed anything deemed to affect Her Majesty or any of her personal property. In one particular case, the Queen successfully lobbied the government to change a draft transparency law in order to hide her “embarrassing” private wealth from the public.

“Now, that is an absolutely outrageous abuse of a constitutional position to do what no other British citizen could ever do, which is to have their own personal involvement in legislation that might affect them and make sure they are protected from it.

“That’s a really critical set of revelations, really important.”

2) [Palace Letters]. Prof Hocking is a historian who, last year, successfully petitioned the High Court in Australia to overrule an embargo over a set of letters related to an Australian constitutional crisis known as the Dismissal. The Palace Letters consist of 45-year-old correspondence between the Queen, her private secretary and the Governor-General in the lead up to the Dismissal.

After a four-year-long legal battle and a final profound victory at the High Court, the Palace Letters were released and, according to Prof Hocking, revealed that the Queen had considerable knowledge of what was going on.

3) [The interview] joins what have been several other very important ways in which that armour of secrecy has been chiselled away. The most recent of these chinks in the armour was Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey.

4) The final chink in the armour was the Guardian’s successful release of the [Black Spider Memos] in 2015. This came after a decade-long fight for the release of several letters Prince Charles wrote to Tony Blair and his ministers in which he reportedly advocated for certain policies.

The queen has no role to play she can only do what the PM asks her

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 21:49:38

Grany if you mean a president as head of state and should be
above politics why do you always put forward the president of
Ireland ? When he stood for the job he was the Labour Party
candidate

Callistemon Wed 14-Apr-21 22:08:06

^Grany if you mean a president as head of state and should be
above politics why do you always put forward the president of
Ireland?^

That puzzles me too, Anniebach

Presidents no-one has heard of, apart from Éamon de Valera, and not all above reproach nor are they all apolitical.

Mollygo Wed 14-Apr-21 22:08:34

Merlotgran (love that name) I’d never heard the toothpaste rumour before, but his flunky would have been paid.
Many of us are happy to pay someone else to do things we could do ourselves if we can afford it. I’m just about to book someone to clean my oven after reading a thread on GN. One more job off my list!

Alegrias1 Wed 14-Apr-21 22:24:40

There's only one person who keeps bringing up President Higgins and it ain't Grany.

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 22:26:14

? ? ? ?

JenniferEccles Wed 14-Apr-21 22:34:53

One thing I feel pretty certain of is that neither Charles nor William will have the same level of commitment and dedication to duty as the Queen.

Callistemon Wed 14-Apr-21 23:12:03

Alegrias1

There's only one person who keeps bringing up President Higgins and it ain't Grany.

Not him in particular but yes, any President of Ireland is apparently a shining example to us all

Grany Thu 15-Apr-21 07:34:20

The role of President will be proscribed by law. Like a judge.

His/her job will be well defined and be above politics.

Charles and William want to be involved in politics that's not their job description as a Head of State .

The institution of monarchy is corrupt Using public office for private gain. And The embarrassing wealth Some of it is hidden in off shore tax havens.

Above the law Andrew speaking in interview with BBC about his father DoE
The RF should not try to launder PA in front of cameras he has not been interviewed by the FBI involvement with Epstein.

Unaccountable Exempted from freedom of information act.

Charles not allowing tennents to buy the land that their house sits on As you can imagine this causes tennents lots of problems. Even though all other landlords are required to do so. My MP Mr Pennycook will look into this, he agrees with me this is very unfair, he will write to housing minister Robert Jerrick Charles gets out of paying tax on the Duchy

So if all you royalists think monarchy is fair and run properly think again.

grandmajet Thu 15-Apr-21 08:48:58

The monarchy has changed over my lifetime, and will continue to do so if it is going to survive.
Charles has grown in confidence, maybe due to his being with Camilla, and seems to be a thoughtful person; he has taken on many of the duties of the Queen over the past few years. I think the greater change will come when William is king. He has more experience of life outside the royal household and has a younger outlook in general. A trimmed down monarchy is the only way it will be acceptable in future and will have to be seen to be in touch with the rest of society.

BlueSky Thu 15-Apr-21 08:51:10

JenniferEccles

One thing I feel pretty certain of is that neither Charles nor William will have the same level of commitment and dedication to duty as the Queen.

Agree Jennifer. But I do like Charles as we ‘grew up together’, so to speak. As for somebody squeezing the toothpaste on his toothbrush, really? Perhaps somebody wipes his bottom too?!

vegansrock Thu 15-Apr-21 08:55:04

I read that he takes his own toilet seat on trips, has his clothes laid out in a certain order and is a stickler for protocol his way or no way. Who knows whether any of this is true. Indeed who cares.

Alegrias1 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:33:39

However the monarchy changes in the next few years, it would be nice to think that some people in the UK could stop thinking about it as a shining example of how to organise a country, and stop being so superior about other country's Heads of State. British exceptionalism all over.

Oh we have a monarch, so much better than those nasty common presidents!

BigBertha1 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:04:13

None of us have really know but one thing I would like to change is the National Anthem.

henetha Thu 15-Apr-21 10:16:36

I hope to live to see Prince Charles become King. (not that I wish the Queen any harm, far from it). He has years of experience and has already said that he will slim down the monarchy. He is better man than many give him credit for in my opinion and will make a good King.
Most people with common sense should know that silly tales about toothpaste etc should be ignored. And even if it was true, first and foremost our royals are human beings and not without flaws, just like the rest of us.
And then, hopefully, Prince William and Kate. I think they will be fantastic. And hopefully have enough sense to see that no-one except the monarch and immediate heirs should be considered royal and should earn their own living. It has to be modernised and slimmed down if it is to survive.

ixion Thu 15-Apr-21 10:31:25

What about the Big Houses/Castles/Palaces, their long term futures?
Should the Monarch stop gifting houses to family? (Gatcombe, Anmer, Frogmore, KP, St.James' P, Royal Lodge.......?)

Mollygo Thu 15-Apr-21 10:35:13

Ixion that is worth considering.
Should any of us gift our wealth or property to our family members or should we give it up for the public good?

merlotgran Thu 15-Apr-21 11:37:55

ixion

What about the Big Houses/Castles/Palaces, their long term futures?
Should the Monarch stop gifting houses to family? (Gatcombe, Anmer, Frogmore, KP, St.James' P, Royal Lodge.......?)

I wonder what will happen to Kensington Palace when older members of the RF die, like the Kents and Gloucesters?

William and Kate will probably move to Clarence House when Charles becomes King.