Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Philip's gaffes

(95 Posts)
overthehill Sun 18-Apr-21 10:13:41

Let me say I'm no fan of the Monarchy and Prince Philip in particular.

I did read through a list of his gaffes and so called jokes. Seems he was excused his insults because of who he was and it was laughingly passed of as his 'direct' manner.

Of course I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their soulmate, but find his reverence very over the top.

I watched some of the funeral and was in awe of the whole spectacle, which Britain is so good at.

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 11:39:09

Yes but it works both ways anniebach. I have rarely seen any tribute which I thought was anything other than soap opera/fairytale.

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 11:39:28

Anniebach

And those who only want to talk of his gaffs aren’t really talking
about the man at all Galaxy

You're not wrong there.

BlueSky Sun 18-Apr-21 11:42:17

suziewoozie
“You don’t know what spirit they were meant do you though ?”
Suzie I’m never malicious so I believe he was actually just joking.

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 11:47:05

AmberSpyglass

He was racist and deeply unpleasant and I have no interest in lionising him posthumously.

Wow! You really don't have a clue do you? ?
Quote: 'It takes considerable knowledge just to realise the extent of your own ignorance'.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:47:39

Well I can say "wokeness" is considered a crime Chestnut if you can say PP did a million Royal visits ??

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 11:50:44

I’m not a monarchy fan, but this has upset a lot of people who are. Why post it the day after his funeral? You wouldn’t need a crystal ball to gauge the reaction. That is why I find it unpleasant.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:54:17

Am I wrong in supposing that no GNs actually think they’re posting ‘in the spirit’ of being nasty?

I think you are wrong Mollygo. I think there are posters who go out of their way to be rude, disrespectful and as nasty as they can be, for no other reason that they are just made that way.

janeainsworth Sun 18-Apr-21 11:58:09

overthehill
I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their soulmate, but find his reverence very over the top.

Irreverence, surely?

suziewoozie Sun 18-Apr-21 12:00:37

BlueSky

suziewoozie
“You don’t know what spirit they were meant do you though ?”
Suzie I’m never malicious so I believe he was actually just joking.

You come across as very nice on GN and if you were in a position of power over someone, I think you’d be very careful about the ‘jokes’ you told, especially personal comments, as they could hardly answer back. That’s why I’m critical of the nasty little racist comments he made- he was working when he made them, not behind a closed royal door, and in a position of power over them

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 12:02:17

Agree with BlueSky I think things he said which are called
racists were not racist , they were jokes.

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 12:12:11

They were racist sorry but they were. I think you can reasonably say product of his time etc. Jokes can be racist.

lemongrove Sun 18-Apr-21 12:20:51

Chestnut

^In some circles overthehill there is no worse crime than being "woke". Any objection to racist or rude comments is simply because you are a snowflake and anyone who makes a contribution to public life must be excused any misdemeanour.^
And what circles are those, where being woke is actually considered a crime?

I think we can all accept Prince Philip for better and for worse, as did the Queen. He lived a very full life for 100 years, through a World War and a million Royal visits and events. His sense of humour was very 20th century, let's just accept that and stop fretting over the detail. I've read that in most cases his comments did not actually offend anyone except those who are constantly offended on behalf of others. Which brings us back to 21st century wokedom.

Well said Chestnut and Annie he was almost a hundred years old not a trendy woke twenty something working in PR and living in Islington.?
However, the PC brigade are out as usual on GN huffing and puffing about ‘gaffes’.Am guessing that if they had to attend public and social functions in the amount that PP did during his very long life they would have their own fair share of
gaffes too.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:28:03

See what I mean Mollygo?

lemongrove Sun 18-Apr-21 12:31:33

What Alegrias means mollygo is that she likes to have the last word?

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 12:32:48

lemongrove I like to believe that if I had his schedule, I wouldn’t make racist ‘gaffes’. And that if I did, I would apologise profusely and re-educate myself so it doesn’t happen again.

BlueSky Sun 18-Apr-21 12:34:29

Thank you for the ‘very nice’ Suzie! No I wouldn’t, I am very careful about my Ps and Qs as I know how words can be taken the wrong way, but then we aren’t all the same. You could also say prince Philip was a product of his time, never mind his position. The Queen must have warned him repeatedly like we do with our DHs not to put his foot in it!

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 12:37:41

I have made lots of mistakes at work, which I went to day in day out meeting very many people every day. I did manage not to make racist jokes. I dont think it's that tricky.

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 12:37:52

Bluesky ?? I also warn my DH about what not to say. He’s very good at compliments, but some things are better left unsaid!

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:39:00

What [insert name of any poster] means is....

Lemonsplaining wink

Lollin Sun 18-Apr-21 12:49:38

Anniebach

Agree with BlueSky I think things he said which are called
racists were not racist , they were jokes.

I have read some things on GN that leave me amazed, gob smacked, and this has to be at the top of that list (if such a list existed).

I really do not understand this, or do I and but I just don’t want to?

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:52:19

A good friend once said to me that the people he considered most racist were those who were offended on his behalf - it was as if they didn't think he was smart enough to know when (or indeed if) he had been insulted.

BlueBelle Sun 18-Apr-21 13:10:45

Perhaps you would see his ‘little jokes’ though different eyes Annie if you were on the end of his remarks

How anyone can see racist comments as little jokes is absolutely beyond me and incredibly sad that people are so careless with words then pass them off as ‘just joking’ and not only that turn it round and blame the complainer of being a snowflake UNBELIEVABLE

I have no problem with the Duke at all, he had a long and eventful life I m sure he would be the first person to say he was no saint and surely you are allowed to see and talk about a person faults as well as they saintly actions He was a human who like most people had a not so nice side as well as a good side why do people think that you are a hater if you accept someone has faults

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 13:17:13

Yes it just confirms the whole soap opera feel of it. I have come to the conclusion that those who support the rf the most are the ones whose treatment of them is really not kind.

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 13:19:06

BlueBell will you explain which of his jokes fits with -

racist
/ˈreɪsɪst/
adjective
prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"we are investigating complaints about racist abuse"
noun
a person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
"he has been targeted by vicious racists online"

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:23:34

"Do you still throw spears at each other?"

"Looks like it was fitted by an Indian"

Not even going to write down the Chinese one.....