Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Philip's gaffes

(94 Posts)
overthehill Sun 18-Apr-21 10:13:41

Let me say I'm no fan of the Monarchy and Prince Philip in particular.

I did read through a list of his gaffes and so called jokes. Seems he was excused his insults because of who he was and it was laughingly passed of as his 'direct' manner.

Of course I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their soulmate, but find his reverence very over the top.

I watched some of the funeral and was in awe of the whole spectacle, which Britain is so good at.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 10:16:05

Moan, moan, grumble, grumble. The man's dead. Isn't there a saying about not speaking ill of the dead?

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 10:17:37

What an unpleasant thread.

grandmajet Sun 18-Apr-21 10:19:56

Put a sock in it!

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 10:20:41

Yes, don’t speak of the work he did, the kindness he showed to people,

MerylStreep Sun 18-Apr-21 10:25:19

grandmajet

Put a sock in it!

That’s very polite compared to what I just told her to do ?

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 10:25:55

The subject has been done to death on other threads. Are any of us totally blameless? I’m so glad that any gaffes I’ve made were not subject to such public scrutiny and never ending reminders.

dragonfly46 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:29:40

I just wish I could leave the legacy he left behind.

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 10:35:18

A funeral described as - a spectacle , how cruel

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:38:29

Of course let's only remember his "gaffes" - let's forget he was a conservationist before it was fashionable (don't believe me - listen to your hero David Attenborough) and was a founding member of the World Wildlife Fund, was very hands on in setting up the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme - not just a figurehead like some, joined the navy during which time he helped recover Japanese POWs and served with distinction and bravery. Add to that his dedication to this country and the Queen for over 70 years

Those who met him have said he went out of his way to make them feel at east (except it would seem Piers Morgan and I can forgive him for that!).

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:39:47

"feel at east"!!! of course I meant feel at ease

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 10:46:05

"Gaffes" are part of the spirit of a person. The Duke was human ! God Rest His Soul.

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 10:48:03

I'm glad to see this thread about Prince Philip has been hi-jacked and turned from a negative one into a positive one, remember all the good he did. In some cases hi-jacking a thread is quite in order.

suziewoozie Sun 18-Apr-21 10:52:07

Oh dear over you were dicing with death were you not? Now all we’ve got is another PP thread - I really can’t forgive you for that ?

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:59:07

Well, now that we've got that out of our system....

In some circles overthehill there is no worse crime than being "woke". Any objection to racist or rude comments is simply because you are a snowflake and anyone who makes a contribution to public life must be excused any misdemeanour.

In the Scottish Parliament Willie Rennie made reference to a comment the DoE made to him once about prostate cancer which was completely out of bounds, IMO, but Rennie thought it was just him being him.

Eventually we will be able to praise the good he did but also be able to say that he was a man whose attitudes and actions embodied his generation, for good and bad.

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 11:02:33

Yes because those who only talk about his good deeds arent really talking about the man at all. Only about a pretence of the man. We are all a mixture of both good and bad. I hope people dont remember me in the way they have PP, it's not real. But then none of these people actually know him anyway.

BlueSky Sun 18-Apr-21 11:08:37

I was wondering when his ‘jokes’ or ‘gaffes’ would be mentioned! OK a no-no in these pc times but I took them in the spirit that they were meant, and made Prince Philip more human. I for one will miss his humour.

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 11:11:35

And those who only want to talk of his gaffs aren’t really talking
about the man at all Galaxy

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 11:13:47

He was racist and deeply unpleasant and I have no interest in lionising him posthumously.

suziewoozie Sun 18-Apr-21 11:18:16

Galaxy

Yes because those who only talk about his good deeds arent really talking about the man at all. Only about a pretence of the man. We are all a mixture of both good and bad. I hope people dont remember me in the way they have PP, it's not real. But then none of these people actually know him anyway.

You’re not wrong there

suziewoozie Sun 18-Apr-21 11:19:37

BlueSky

I was wondering when his ‘jokes’ or ‘gaffes’ would be mentioned! OK a no-no in these pc times but I took them in the spirit that they were meant, and made Prince Philip more human. I for one will miss his humour.

You don’t know what spirit they were meant do you though ?

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:35:22

No need for that at all,thank goodness our queen won`t be reading this.

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 11:35:40

In some circles overthehill there is no worse crime than being "woke". Any objection to racist or rude comments is simply because you are a snowflake and anyone who makes a contribution to public life must be excused any misdemeanour.
And what circles are those, where being woke is actually considered a crime?

I think we can all accept Prince Philip for better and for worse, as did the Queen. He lived a very full life for 100 years, through a World War and a million Royal visits and events. His sense of humour was very 20th century, let's just accept that and stop fretting over the detail. I've read that in most cases his comments did not actually offend anyone except those who are constantly offended on behalf of others. Which brings us back to 21st century wokedom.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:36:41

"No need for all that" What??? Are we being told off again?

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 11:37:58

I suppose most on GN post ‘in the spirit’ that they believe they have the correct version, or to be funny.
Am I wrong in supposing that no GNs actually think they’re posting ‘in the spirit’ of being nasty?

We also, of course, have the advantage of being anonymous just in case readers misunderstand our ‘funny’ or ‘correct’ posts.