Gransnet forums

Chat

Prince Philip's gaffes

(95 Posts)
overthehill Sun 18-Apr-21 10:13:41

Let me say I'm no fan of the Monarchy and Prince Philip in particular.

I did read through a list of his gaffes and so called jokes. Seems he was excused his insults because of who he was and it was laughingly passed of as his 'direct' manner.

Of course I feel sorry for anyone who has lost their soulmate, but find his reverence very over the top.

I watched some of the funeral and was in awe of the whole spectacle, which Britain is so good at.

Boogaloo Mon 19-Apr-21 23:54:37

If only all men were more like the late Duke. What a better world it would be.

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 19:29:49

Alegrias1

What [insert name of any poster] means is....

Lemonsplaining wink

grin

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 19:17:31

I can accept he made remarks which some hear as racist but what of the claims that he was racist ?

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 18:57:28

Well that's just the most ridiculous attempt to disprove racism I've seen in a while. Up there with "some of my best friends are Jews". I mentioned that before, sorry to repeat myself.

Quote from the article, from Mr Hussein: "He was terribly direct, especially with local people he used to say all sorts of things and got away with it - sometimes it was difficult to know if he was being rude or being funny."

I just re-read my comments by the way, through this whole, sorry thread. I have never said that PP was racist, only that he made racist remarks. I also said that there would come a time when we were able to celebrate the good he did and recognise the bad. But no, all that people see is that I've criticised a man who we all have to say is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm starting to know how Meghan feels. ?

MerylStreep Sun 18-Apr-21 18:37:49

Alegrias
Another one just for you. Amazing that he spent years with this man.
news.sky.com/story/prince-philip-royal-photographer-anwar-hussein-reveals-his-favourite-photos-of-duke-12277410

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 18:08:35

The volunteers make those young lives purposeful btw not the man himself. He set it up and that is something to be proud of but the millions of volunteers are the people who make it work.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 18:03:15

PP said similar things decades ago to what our current PM has said in recent years
The Pm was voted in though
Doesn't make their comments acceptable, does it? though I think PP actually apologised for most of his comments

Summerlove Sun 18-Apr-21 18:02:50

* Generally horrible

Sparkling Sun 18-Apr-21 17:58:14

Amber, where do you get the idea he was racist, ridiculous. To say he was deeply unpleasant where have you plucked that from? I think your comments untrue and insulting. He was extremely loved and left a great legacy, with his D of E Scheme, helping so many youngster into a purposeful life, also his work on conservation. Have you done anything similar? Please enlighten us.

Summerlove Sun 18-Apr-21 17:47:23

Baggs

Moan, moan, grumble, grumble. The man's dead. Isn't there a saying about not speaking ill of the dead?

Does that work for people who were ge homely horrible and committed crimes? Because they are now dead we only remember the good?

sodapop Sun 18-Apr-21 17:26:36

How true that Shakespeare quote is Mollygo we have all said things I'm sure which we wouldn't want dredging up, Prince Philip had human frailties like the rest of us.

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 17:10:10

I wasnt speaking up for anyone old woman I find some of the things he said unpleasant. It's interesting isnt it PP amongst many others said some things about women that werent that great, I dont feel like a victim because I discuss those statements.

Lucca Sun 18-Apr-21 17:09:03

A thread in very poor taste for sure.

Let the dust settle a bit surely before criticising the man.

I have to say though I have seen plenty of posts criticising Diana, ....also dead.

kircubbin2000 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:07:56

Nowadays you need to be careful of everything you write even if you think/know it's a joke.
A rough estate here is known as The Ranch. I was told it's where the cowboys live. It may be true but probably not allowed to say that.

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 16:59:31

Alegrias1

And clearly neither you nor he really understand racism.

I'm not offended. I'm not offended. I'm not offended.

How many times?

As a West Indian who came to UK in the 60s he was well aware of what racism was and is. However, he refused to be identified as a victim.

He would get annoyed by some white middle class people who had no idea what real racist abuse was like but thought they had to speak up for him as if he couldn't recognise racism.

Whilst he welcomed the support of the majority - he always felt there were some who only spoke out to disguise their own true thoughts

Galaxy Sun 18-Apr-21 16:48:01

I think I for one have said completely the opposite of that.

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 16:46:44

It’s Shakespeare time again.
Forget ‘Don’t speak ill of the dead’ and let’s go with,
The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interrèd with their bones . . .
The noble . . . GN posters have told you that HRH had many faults than no GN member has ever been guilty of . . .
For GNs are all honourable posters.

Alegrias1 Sun 18-Apr-21 16:32:49

And clearly neither you nor he really understand racism.

I'm not offended. I'm not offended. I'm not offended.

How many times?

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 16:30:34

MerylStreep

Alegrias
So your offended on behalf of a person who it was said to who wasn’t offended. Brilliant ?

Exactly the point my friend was making when he questioned the motives of those who were offended on his behalf.

grannylyn65 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:32:46

Why are you bringing this up now ?

grannylyn65 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:29:13

Do you mean ‘irreverent ‘

BlueBelle Sun 18-Apr-21 15:11:53

As far as I m concerned the Chinese ‘little gaffe’ is more than enough for a lifetime, without going into any others
Just like Johnson and his watermelon picaninnies and Trump and his mocking the disabled
People need to think before they speak and not call it a ‘joke’ a joke makes you laugh these don’t, a ‘gaffe’ is just sugar coating a nasty distasteful remark

That doesn’t make me hate Prince Philip but it certainly makes me realise he’s not a blooming saint and the fact that he and others don’t see a problem makes it even more worrying

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 15:10:51

One disgusting Liverpool councillor called the poor man " a facsist inbred sh*t "in her Facebook post. Is it any wonder the Labour party is in ruins with such a disgraceful person running the show ! What a pathetic excuse for a representative of the party. Sarah Morton---look in the mirror !!

Anniebach Sun 18-Apr-21 14:57:24

Racist comments ?

Do you eat Welsh rarebit every day

Not wise to go to Hereford we can shoot you

You should have been born black with so many coal miners in your family.

Bet you go to Chapel

Millie22 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:56:18

How unpleasant this thread is. It should be deleted.