Gransnet forums

Chat

Low Self-Esteem

(32 Posts)
Berylsgranny Wed 28-Apr-21 15:51:44

Unfortunately I suffer from low self-esteem, have done for a very long time now. Can anyone give some advice on how to correct this. I am so fed up of feeling this way.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 15:21:13

So many strands aren’t there Fanny? All debilitating in their own way.
‘Imposter syndrome’ is another.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 15:24:41

My friend finds being outside helps. Walking. Gardening. Or exercise - yoga - for the endorphins and bit of peace they bring. She pretty much eschews alcohol now as although she loves it, the next day she feels more jittery. Not worth the trade off. She drinks ‘calming teas’ at bedtime. Pukka something or other. When she gets stressed she gets a bit loud (the anxiety) and then feels awful afterwards.

FannyCornforth Fri 30-Apr-21 15:28:43

There is a quote that goes somewhere along these lines:

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of self doubt; and the stupid ones are full of confidence

Berylsgranny Sat 01-May-21 08:17:01

I have taken all your ideas/advice on board. This weekend I do have quite a challenge in front of me so I am going to approach with confidence, put my anxieties, self-loathing aside and I hope I do a good job and not let myself down. Sometimes I have to admit I'm not sure about GN as I like a face to face approach as I always think you can tell a lot from facial expressions good or bad. I do feel better having tried to explain how I feel and I know I'm not alone. Thanks for all your support.

Sara1954 Sat 01-May-21 08:53:59

I too agree with Fanny, we are probably all faking it to some extent.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve become more confident because frankly, I’m no longer bothered what people say or think about me (or am I?)
I still hope people will like me, but if they don’t, I won’t lose any sleep over it.

Sonatina7 Mon 03-May-21 13:04:46

When you meet people try to remember that they are all struggling with something and a great way to gain their friendship is to simply listen. Everyone loves to be listened to and anything that you can say to heighten their own self-esteem will really endear them to you. You always get back in this life what you give. Turn your focus outside of yourself. In making others happy it will lift your own self-esteem. Compliment strangers, do small acts of kindness.
Imagine yourself as the innocent little child you once were and cherish that little child within you. Always speak gently to her and do plenty of things to make her happy. Spoil yourself without guilt, you deserve it. You are not alone. These negative feelings lurk in most of us. Just some are better at acting!