Gransnet forums

Chat

How upset would you be if someone said you were boring!

(207 Posts)
Peasblossom Sun 09-May-21 11:31:27

Would you take it on the chin and try to change? I’m not thinking about the shy person who doesn’t have much to say but the “broken record scenario’.
No matter how the conversation starts.

My MIL just couldn’t stop talking about her big operation. Even thirty years after it happened it would come into every conversation.

A teacher friend will always end up reminiscing about her time in the classroom.

And I posted a little while ago about the friend who can’t talk about anything except her grandchild. It doesn’t matter what the starting sentence is, it seems to connect back to GC.

You notice it on Gransnet posts too.

Do people know they’re doing it!
Would you say anything or just grit your teeth?
And what would you do if you found out that was you?

Callistemon Thu 13-May-21 23:52:01

Actually, I think sluttygran sounds as if she'd be great fun!
?

I don't think my wine is particularly good stuff though, sorry

Alexa Fri 14-May-21 07:30:38

I would be worried because I would wonder if it was the topic I chose or my way of speaking, and I'd not know what to do to make it better.

Peasblossom Fri 14-May-21 09:43:16

Suppose Alexa somebody said to you, “Do you realise that whatever anybody else says, you always talk about x. We’re all getting a bit fed up with it.”

I know its rude and hurtful but when we talk she is saying that I’m the only one that still phones. And I know why.

As for arranging a meet-up, that’s fallen through. One of the others won’t come because she doesn’t want to have to be lectured.

She used to be so interesting and such fun?

JaneJudge Fri 14-May-21 09:44:21

Sluttygran sounds like the visiting couple in King Gary grin 'can you fetch me the nice crisps?'

BlueSky Fri 14-May-21 10:11:50

I would tell them they’re right! grin

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 10:37:10

J1ust read the morning papers. Prince Harry and wife become more boring by the day (this is NOT the start of a royal thread, just an illustration of what boring is)

Hetty58 Fri 14-May-21 10:48:32

Peasblossom, yes, I know many with a favourite, predictable topic of conversation. I make great efforts to chip in with something different, and ask lots of questions, to change things. I get the impression that it's not really a conversation at all. Rather, they are 'broadcasting' to an audience (any audience).

If I really can't face them, I'll make it clear that I have a meeting/appointment, so can only do a quick chat.

Once, I spotted a neighbour just like that approaching. Unable to face the long chat and delay, I crossed the road and turned a corner to avoid them. Unfortunately, I met, head on, another one!

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 13:50:19

JaneJudge

Sluttygran sounds like the visiting couple in King Gary grin 'can you fetch me the nice crisps?'

I only like vegetable crisps but I'm not fussy, the Lidl ones are fine

MerylStreep Fri 14-May-21 14:07:59

Sluttygran
I’d invite you to a party any day ?
Don’t worry about the cheap wine. Most people can’t tell the difference after a couple of ? anyway.

Alexa Fri 14-May-21 16:23:17

Peasblossom, I understand now thanks. I'd not like to snub someone like you suggest, unless they were saying something really unkind and horrible. I'd rather be bored. Most people are boring anyway.

Tea3 Sat 15-May-21 14:40:24

What baffles me is why some bores are so difficult to get away from. They seem to have you rooted to the spot whilst they pontificate on without hesitation but with plenty of deviation and repetition. Afterwards I try to analyse why I couldn’t get away. Yes, I try to be polite but there is something more than this that holds you mesmerised with eyes glazing over.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 15-May-21 14:50:16

There are people we avoid because they only talk about themselves, but they are not family or close friends. My kids often finish sentences for me, adding....” yes mum, blah blah blah, you’ve told this story a million times!” Always lighthearted though. ?

Toadinthehole Sat 15-May-21 14:53:45

Yes disco, we have the avoidance tactic too. My husband is hopeless at getting out of a boring conversation. I have been known to say “ well, as interesting as all this is, I’ve got a life to be getting on with!”. My husband would literally be stuck if I didn’t haul him out?

sluttygran Sat 15-May-21 15:40:58

MerylStreep
Thanks for the invite- I'll be right with you, and I'll bring lots of cheap wine and hundreds of photos of my very superior DGC!

Aveline Sat 15-May-21 17:48:50

In such circumstances I set myself key words to try to get the bore to say. I award myself 10 points for every one. This makes me smile a bit and look interested so it can lead the bore to new heights of dullness. confused

Callistemon Sat 15-May-21 21:11:41

sluttygran

MerylStreep
Thanks for the invite- I'll be right with you, and I'll bring lots of cheap wine and hundreds of photos of my very superior DGC!

Can I tag along please?

I have a recipe for a very moreish champagne cocktail, champagne not required, Aldi's prosecco is just as good!

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 21:42:36

I hate it when people want to recount the dream they had last night. Such a nonsense to have to listen to. Also if a friends says ‘have you read ....’ and if I say I haven’t then proceeds to tell me all about it in detail. Other people’s holidays/photos/hobbies/pets are fine - for about 5 minutes. Then ?
And people who watch a lot of television and want to tell me all about last night’s programme in depth (which I consciously chose not to bother with!).
And a friend who bangs on about her pre-retirement job so much so I’ve started to be brave and say ‘oh yes, you did tell me about that’. (many times).

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 21:44:24

Just read my post.
Oh dear.
Perhaps I should just stay home as there’s not a lot else is there?
?

MerylStreep Sat 15-May-21 22:08:03

Callistemon
More than welcome ?
Urmstongran
I’ve just got rid of a ‘friend’ who could bore for the Olympics.
I’d would have loved her to mention a book ( she’s never read one)
A television programme ( she doesn’t watch any)
Her whole conversation is her previous life as a pub landlady, and yes, it was an interesting life but that’s all she spoke about.
I know that makes me sound mean but it was unbelievable relentless.

Urmstongran Sat 15-May-21 22:29:37

I’m afraid I sounded incredibly mean just then.
I’m tired after a bad night last night.

MerylStreep Sat 15-May-21 22:33:36

Urmstongran
No need to apologise.
How do you think I look when I call them oxygen thieves ?

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:04:47

Urmstongran wrote: "I hate it when people want to recount the dream they had last night. Such a nonsense to have to listen to. Also if a friends says ‘have you read ....’ and if I say I haven’t then proceeds to tell me all about it in detail. Other people’s holidays/photos/hobbies/pets are fine - for about 5 minutes. Then ----?"

I agree. But it's not the topic that's boring. It is how the story is told that is boring.

Good talkers edit what they say according to how amusing or interesting it is for the listener, Good talkers use quality language when telling some anecdote, and do not suffer from verbal diarrhoea. Good talkers encourage the other person to say something amusing or interesting.

The skill of good conversation should be taught in schools. Perhaps it is?

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:07:07

Urmston, is not 'mean' to raise an interesting point of view. Does anyone have the right not to be offended?

Alexa Sun 16-May-21 10:11:37

Conversation shops where people could meet others to take part in conversations led by someone who is very good at it and can encourage and lead. A novel use for high street premises in the future. There would have to be plenty of parking nearby for disabled transport and mobility scooters/

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 10:56:57

I used to run 'communication' groups and before lockdown had a voluntary job running 'tea parties' for people in long stay hospital to encourage chat and to give patients something more positive to talk to their visitors about than their illness. All ground to a halt due to Covid of course.