Gransnet forums

Chat

Parents of 4-year old transgender child - This Morning interview.

(136 Posts)
FarNorth Tue 11-May-21 21:25:20

youtu.be/eaXobQFxb84

No comment.

3nanny6 Fri 14-May-21 12:19:39

Aptera : That's a good post and yes I agree let the child use their imagination and see where the situation leads them as they can so easily grow out of the dressing up phase.
I have posted earlier on that my grandson began dressing up in mainly pink tops and frilly tutus all leftover from his two sisters who are slightly older and no longer bother with them. In the past I have bought the girls everything from the themed Disney dresses/snow white/frozen/Christmas angels even once found them some mermaid costumes. With the boy I have bought him Spiderman Buzz Lightyear, Batman,
Cowboy outfit and a lion outfit. He puts them on for five minutes and they are discarded and he will look for the tutu and a pink top he has been slow to start talking and he may have to have speech therapy so he has never made any verbal announcement he is a girl and actually he has never said he is a boy. He goes to nursery and they have to wear the uniform and he goes dressed as a boy. My daughter says nothing so I just let sleeping dogs lie.

Hithere Fri 14-May-21 12:49:19

Skirts and pants as option for everybody in uniforms

Very interesting article of skirts in history
www.bustle.com/p/the-history-of-men-skirts-58088

FarNorth Sun 16-May-21 13:16:30

Useful item for girl children who identify as boys.

stitchbugstudio.com/product/bittybug/?fbclid=IwAR301Q3NQnye8PUzj6lk-KrO8IvrG9E7ged4FxxcZg46iKpH7re921bMqBk

Iam64 Sun 16-May-21 13:33:08

3nanny6, your dressing up gifts have been gender specific. In my experience young children dress up in whatever takes their fancy. It’s not until 5 or 6 that gender identity becomes a thing. How much of that is socially determined is a subject for debate.
It sounds as though you’re worried your grandson isn’t macho enough. You’re wise to let sleeping dogs lie

3nanny6 Sun 16-May-21 14:10:01

Iam64: The dressing up gifts for the girls were gender specific
although they would be shopping with me and once in the shop if they seen the Disney dresses, fairy dresses, snow white dresses they would want them so they were actually making their own choices all I done was pay at the cash till.
The boy was younger and although I see him I have not taken him shopping as much , so his dressing up clothes were my choice. I am not overly worried that he has to be macho I suppose I just had ideas that he would wear clothes associated with male influences. I have a son myself and he
never wore his sisters clothes and most of my friends children were either female in choices or male but I expect children can all be different, Yes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

SueDonim Sun 16-May-21 15:42:06

FarNorth

Useful item for girl children who identify as boys.

stitchbugstudio.com/product/bittybug/?fbclid=IwAR301Q3NQnye8PUzj6lk-KrO8IvrG9E7ged4FxxcZg46iKpH7re921bMqBk

I’m a bit worried about the blue one, FarNorth. I think they need thermal underwear! grin

3nanny6 Sun 16-May-21 20:13:29

To be honest I am completely worried about those items
FarNorth and did not know things like that existed, oh well you live and learn.

FarNorth Sun 16-May-21 21:07:26

Me too, 3nanny6.
It's all because of the weird ideas that some adults have.

Franbern Mon 17-May-21 08:29:18

25Avalon

35 years ago a friend of mine had 2 girls. The eldest was a real girl but the youngest was a tomboy as the expression then went. The youngest was never happy wearing dresses or skirts, played football for a boys team, and her mum had to get special dispensation from the school for her to wear culottes instead of a skirt. When she grew up it was no surprise that she had a girl as her partner whom she subsequently became the husband of. Was she, however, transgender? I don’t think so and that is the problem. In the states a lot of parents would rather their child was transgender than gay or lesbian.

There is a lot of trauma in transgendering. It is probably best left under the child is older and in the meanwhile let them be treated just as themselves.

Avalon, if two women marry it is usual for them both to be Wives, and if two men marry it is usual for them both to be Husbands.
There is a big difference between being transgender and being gay. Indeed, it is not unusual for a person to be both!!!

25Avalon Mon 17-May-21 08:49:37

Franbern another friend of mine has a son who is gay. When he married another man he referred to himself as the wife and his partner as his husband. I don’t think this is unusual. The point I was making, however, is that being gay is not necessarily the same as being transgender and vice versa so assumptions should not be made at a young age. I know someone who has transgendered from male to female and is still undergoing all sorts of therapy and it has not been an easy process. It is a decision a person has to make for themselves when they fully understand what it is all about.