Gransnet forums

Chat

Snobbiest places in the UK

(246 Posts)
Mollygo Sun 16-May-21 12:02:44

I noticed a thread in Mumsnet asking this question. What do GNs think?

JenniferEccles Sun 16-May-21 14:25:37

Of course we all know what it means in its exaggerated form in for instance Hyacinth Bucket (Bouquet!) but other than fictitious characters, it’s a strange concept.

nanna8 Sun 16-May-21 14:31:10

I think snobbery is more subtle in Australia. More which school you attended in Melbourne. Public or private and then there are nuances for each school. Thinking about it,I could list them in order of ‘prestige’ as most Melbournites probably could. There is definitely a pecking order! Not so much on other states. Sydney seems to be more about high wages, for example.

Deedaa Sun 16-May-21 14:42:30

As a lovely East End market trader always used to say to me "NOCD" (Not our class darling)

DS delivers for Tesco in Windsor and Ascot, where the delivery is taken in by the staff and the inhabitants are apparently several levels above the Royals. They all think Boris is doing a great job!

I once asked the consultant treating DH where he lived. He said it was just outside Sunningdale. I said "Of course you do darling" and he said "It's all right - we do lower the tone"

Grandma70s Sun 16-May-21 14:45:09

Schools are a big source of snobbery in the UK as well as Australia (my late husband came from Sydney, and he was definitely aware of a hierarchy among schools there). Really though, snobbery is evident in people, not places. There are unsnobbish people in Oxford and Hampstead, and very snobbish people in Blackpool.

Millie22 Sun 16-May-21 14:47:39

Kate
That was a really unkind thing for your 'friend' to say. I bet you were upset.

Lucca Sun 16-May-21 14:49:12

When i was young it was people from the “county set” who were snobbish. If you didn’t ride horses, oh dear me.

Gin Sun 16-May-21 14:58:27

My neighbour made me laugh. She said they were moving out of the village as too many people owning white vans were moving in!

Sarnia Sun 16-May-21 15:00:51

Primary school playgrounds.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 15:02:38

Not very nice Millie. Her husband was 'high up' in his field and they mixed with a certain 'set' all of whom dropped her like a stone when he died. She had a 'pecking order' and I think I was at the bottom smile
It was a bit hurtful but hey ho. My husband however was furious.

Grandma70s Sun 16-May-21 15:07:16

I did come across real snobbery once, in Oxford as it happens. I had at the time a very posh boyfriend. He was not really snobbish himself, but he introduced me to a friend of his who immediately asked me what my father did. When I said he was a schoolmaster in a grammar school the friend looked a little taken aback and said dismissively “A very worthy profession, I’m sure”. I was quietly shocked and incensed. I was proud of my father. Perhaps if the school had been Eton it might have been acceptable.

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 15:07:31

There's more than a hint of it in parts of Australia, particularly near to where D lives on the Northern Beaches as they have a name for the " not so well-offs " which is across Australia itself, and that's a reference to " The Bogans ". These people are the, quote " unrefined, and unsophisticated ".

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 15:10:11

It's a form of ignorance isn't it ? I'd go as far as to say a lack of knowledge too.

lemongrove Sun 16-May-21 15:13:20

Grandma70s

Schools are a big source of snobbery in the UK as well as Australia (my late husband came from Sydney, and he was definitely aware of a hierarchy among schools there). Really though, snobbery is evident in people, not places. There are unsnobbish people in Oxford and Hampstead, and very snobbish people in Blackpool.

Absolutely.??

I did laugh at the few comments such as MIL’s house etc.?

lemongrove Sun 16-May-21 15:14:45

Mollygo

My definition of snobby is unwelcoming. The snobbiest place I’ve ever been is Coventry. I asked someone if they knew the best way to the town centre and got a frosty look and, “I don’t have time to answer questions like that!” Honestly, I did ask for town centre, not Anne Summers!

Being sent to Coventry ?

Grandma70s Sun 16-May-21 15:21:13

Deedaa

As a lovely East End market trader always used to say to me "NOCD" (Not our class darling)

DS delivers for Tesco in Windsor and Ascot, where the delivery is taken in by the staff and the inhabitants are apparently several levels above the Royals. They all think Boris is doing a great job!

I once asked the consultant treating DH where he lived. He said it was just outside Sunningdale. I said "Of course you do darling" and he said "It's all right - we do lower the tone"

Why don’t the people in Windsor and Ascot get their deliveries from Waitrose or Ocado rather than Tesco? If you’re going to be a snob, do it properly!

PS My son lives close to Windsor and he definitely takes in his own deliveries. Loathes Boris, too.

Tea3 Sun 16-May-21 15:34:14

‘I once asked the consultant treating DH where he lived. He said it was just outside Sunningdale. I said "Of course you do darling" and he said "It's all right - we do lower the tone"’ Love it!

Blossoming Sun 16-May-21 15:37:17

I love Henley!

Tea3 Sun 16-May-21 15:38:03

My sister in law’s cleaner asked if she could bring her kids with her on one occasion during the school holidays. My sister in law said that was OK, just this once, as long as they didn’t expect to play with her children.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 16-May-21 15:39:58

I do not think places are snobby, it’s people.

The more wealth a family have and the longer they have had it the less likely they are to act in what could be described as snobby

In my experience it’s this on the way up the monetary ladder who look down on others and forget their roots and often their manners.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 16-May-21 15:40:43

*this should read those

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 16-May-21 15:41:12

It's the people, rather than the places though, isn't it? One of my SILs is from Coventry. You feel as though you must keep your end up when you visit. Her house never really feels welcoming whereas BILs does.

Katyj Sun 16-May-21 15:44:22

Tea3 No it’s MY sils house ??

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 15:44:33

Yes, it's the people themselves and not necessarily the places/ areas.

NanKate Sun 16-May-21 15:45:39

I live between Windsor and Henley on Thames and have deliveries from Tesco. Our town Waitrose has closed ☹️ but we do have 2 Sainsbury’s and an M and S food store. So I’m a bit of a mix.

lemongrove Sun 16-May-21 15:48:07

NanKate am shocked! Tesco deliveries....really letting the side down.?