Gransnet forums

Chat

Nicknames for neighbours

(157 Posts)
Santana Mon 17-May-21 09:13:13

We do have nicknames for neighbours, more to help know who we are talking about than to be disrespectful. We have an abundance of Daves so one became 'the godbod' as he always pops a religious newspaper through our letterbox. Another, the neighbourhood watch Dave. I bet my husband is electrical Dave.
New neighbours have become the Wonderful Family as I heard that said so many times before I met them. They are indeed a lovely family!
As child I remember my dad calling neighbours The Tinks as they were always fiddling with their car.
Just wondered if we are alone in our nicknaming of neighbours?

Ealdemodor Mon 17-May-21 11:40:33

We have a Baldrick. Not very kind of us, I suppose.
And now, I can’t help wondering what people call us!

Redhead56 Mon 17-May-21 11:52:15

At the back of us we have fat arse because it’s always hanging out his pants. Around the corner we have a hill Billy scruffy family a nice house but they are a brick short of a full load. The show off he lets the whole drive know he is going fishing diving camping whatever. The pain in the arse who has about six vehicles taking up road space constantly. The slapper lives down the road outside all day in pjs smoking cigarettes.
These are just the neighbours who are visible most days there are people in the close opposite who I have never seen.

Calendargirl Mon 17-May-21 12:24:04

We have a Mrs. Bouquet (Bucket).

Also a Happy Harry (not).

And The Rucksack Couple.

The Pharmacists, both worked for Boots.

Plus The Vicar’s Wife.

Witzend Mon 17-May-21 12:26:45

We used to have a Quick Walker neighbour, christened by dh. She was always hurrying off to play tennis in her white kit.
She’s such a very poor old thing now, though - it’s very sad.

Liz46 Mon 17-May-21 12:33:13

Because my husband always refers to two sisters as 'fat bird' and 'skinny bird', I find myself unable to remember their proper names.

There is only one neighbour who we do not like and I can't repeat his nickname in case I offend anyone but when we went for our vaccinations, my OH spotted the neighbour's car and said 'oh there's the twatmobile'.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 17-May-21 12:51:07

Georgesgran we too have Clampetts near us of which the husband is Officer * a rude play on name as he thinks he is on patrol in the street but could also be known as fu**wits ?
Help me get away from here soon I’m being driven crazy with neighbours.

Alima Mon 17-May-21 12:52:53

Before we moved our neighbours were known to us as The Clampits(?) due to the old cars, filthy caravan, and moped on their front/side garden. The back garden had lots of rubbish and several old mattresses for years.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 17-May-21 12:55:52

I’ve remembered a neighbour from our childhood. We would see her in her garden wearing clothes out of Victorian times. We called her The Dame.

Witzend Mon 17-May-21 12:55:58

My dh used to give nicknames to fellow guests at a beach hotel where we stayed many times, and made friends with an American couple who were often there at the same time.

Dh christened one woman Wimbledon Sainsbury’s, and the American chap eventually asked what that meant. We didn’t think he’d get it, but explained about a certain type usually wearing a puffa jacket (this was ages ago!) and doing what is now call Performance Parenting with her children (invariably wearing private school uniforms.).

But he got it at once, and said they had Wimbledon Sainsbury’s types where they lived - which was Manhattan.

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 17-May-21 13:04:01

Yes...as a child, we used to call our neighbour Mrs. Yoo hoo, because she would let herself in the back door, which my mum always left unlocked, and shout “ yoo hoo”

Later on....when married, the lady of the couple opposite used to walk round her front garden, bobbing her head like a pigeon. So she was Mrs. Pigeon. A little later, they had a baby, and we already had our two boys, so we got talking. We were friends after that. Funnily enough...her first name was the same as mine.

We’ve had police neighbours, to the house we’re in now. He was known as ‘ Peter plod’. He confused Neighbourhood Watch with ‘ neighbour watch’! Long gone now thank goodness!

Auntieflo Mon 17-May-21 13:16:16

We have been here since the houses were built, so know everybody by name, and they are all wonderful, except for one couple.
We call them The Grumpies.
They are the ones who bought a car, simply to park it outside their house, so that no one else can. Nuff said!,

Santana Mon 17-May-21 14:02:31

Seems we all do it then!
I've just remembered Billy two shovels and Flouncy Pants.
Sad that the two Old Queens have now passed away. One of them did fantastic embroidery for altar cloths.
Then there's Mr Personality as he has none, and Blinkey ( named by OH) who I've never met but seems to have irritated OH somewhat.
Clampitts seem to be everywhere don't they!

H1954 Mon 17-May-21 14:14:49

We have a George and Mildred named after the to sit com starring Yootha Joyce and a chap named Brian something. Not because they look like them, more because the man is an annoying, ridiculous know-all who gets on everyone's nerves. There's also a Mrs Shall We, thus named because she simply cannot make her own mind up on anything and regularly asks the rest of in the neighbourhood fb page on the most mundane subjects.........like, are we pegging our washing out today???

BBbevan Mon 17-May-21 14:43:04

We had a very large neighbour. My children always called him Mr Blobby. When the GCs came along we had to modify it to Mr Bobby, as one child in particular might have referred to him in person by the original name

My DD calls us Howard and Hilda although we don’t have matching jumpers

grannysyb Mon 17-May-21 17:01:12

We have the Teletubbies who live down the road, short and round! They were given that nickname by someone who has long since moved, but it's stuck!

Beauregard Mon 17-May-21 18:52:07

We also have some Teletubbies! As well as the fit family, the football team family, Carling man, Victor Meldrew, Psycho and Pavarotti.

Blinko Mon 17-May-21 19:05:22

We have a Nosey Norman and two doors down, a Numpty Norman. Nosey Norman sounds like he may be related to the neighbour mentioned by DiscoDancer who confuses Neighbourhood Watch with Neighbour Watch. T'other Norman seems to enjoy picking arguments about nothing in particular.

Witzend Mon 17-May-21 21:02:30

I forgot our Mr Fussy - nicknamed by dds after the Mr Men character who would straighten the blades of grass on his lawn with a ruler.
Our Mr F is not far off when it comes to his front lawn! To be fair it does resemble an expensive Wilton carpet though.

Grannybags Mon 17-May-21 21:09:09

The Bubble Heads
Queen Bee
The Fussy Family
Mrs Mad

I hate to think what they call us...!

Hellogirl1 Mon 17-May-21 21:41:21

Someone moved in next door and I christened him Bluto, as he looked just like Popeye`s enemy, but he`s since shaved his beard off, so the name doesn`t fit anymore.
Then there are Mr and Mrs Tesco, as they both work there and go to work in their Tesco jackets.

SpringyChicken Mon 17-May-21 22:27:14

Hairy nose and his wife, Mrs Busy. He's in desperate need of a nose trimmer and she charges up and down the road with a huge shopping bag (usually empty) several times per day. I'd follow her to see where she goes but I can't keep up.

JenniferEccles Mon 17-May-21 22:35:11

Oh we have a Howard and Hilda near us too!
Very sweet, do everything together, and yes they actually do have the matching anoraks!

Then there’s the charity couple as they were rather too keen on knocking on neighbours’ doors soon after they moved in rattling some collection envelope or other. We all contributed at first but it got to the point where they were making a nuisance of themselves so we stopped answering the door.

grandma60 Mon 17-May-21 22:40:44

We have Walter, named after Walter Mitty who always comes up with a tall story about dramatic and dangerous adventures that happened when he worked as a painter and decorator.

Alishka Mon 17-May-21 23:15:47

I live next door to The Hereford Hoaxer, or H.H.as I refer to him. Well, he reckons he was in the SAS (where they train)....yeah, right...hmm

Alishka Mon 17-May-21 23:19:32

grandma60 - whatever 'dangerous and dramatic adventures' did Walt the painter and decorator have? The mind bogglesgrin