Gransnet forums

Chat

Seems we are not unlocking.

(430 Posts)
Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 21:53:16

Boris looked shell shocked. 700 admissions to hospital.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 21:54:55

Sorry pressed post too soon. June 21 unlocking called off -
Four-week delay expected, with masks and distancing to continue – and no green light for larger weddings

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:09:30

In four weeks will it be any different?
Hopefully the vacinne is doing its job and deaths will remain low so they can unlock fully
Off to Jersey in early July so will be free of the pesky masks at least for a couple of weeks

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 22:13:10

This seems to be a watershed moment I’m afraid people. Prepare for endless delays now and in all likelihood a return to lockdown in the near future.

There will simply always be an excuse to extend restrictions. The goalposts currently stand at getting all the over 50’s double jabbed and the rest of the adult population one jab before restrictions are eased. Before you know it that will be moved to the whole adult population being double jabbed, so at least September.

Then SAGE will insist all children need to be fully inoculated to end lockdown. And by the time that’s done, the ‘data’ will doubtless land on Boris’s desk showing that the effects of the jabs are wearing off on those who had their’s last winter - so we must wait for the booster programme to be rolled out.

Failing all of that, they’ll demand a mass testing and vaccination programme for ‘flu and tell us all that no one can have their freedoms back until we have Zero-COVID and Zero Flu!

Paranoid? Maybe!

But there genuinely doesn’t feel like there’s any going back now. The Marxists in SAGE have taken full control of the country and Boris is their pet. This was his last chance to say ‘no’ and stick to his guns.

MayBee70 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:16:40

Marxists? confused

Ellan Fri 11-Jun-21 22:17:38

So the 'irreversible' was indeed reversible
I feel sorry for businesses who have geared up for this
Johnson should have never given dates, he said that the Government would be led by the science and should listen to their advice and act accordingly
But he tells lies, constantly...

Ellan Fri 11-Jun-21 22:20:18

Sorry, which people in SAGE do you consider to be Marxist?
Do you have any evidence?

Doodledog Fri 11-Jun-21 22:21:51

Marxists?

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:22:31

Ellen I dont think that's strictly true as far as I understand once we have got to a step ,ie step 3 those things that have been opened up will not be reversed Step four date was never a definite
I dont think for one minute he was lying when he said he wanted to open up fully in June but they really should have stopped all incoming flights from India immediately

Biscuitmuncher Fri 11-Jun-21 22:22:59

It amazes me that anyone fell for the government's crap in the first place! Control, that's what this is all about. They know they can tell us to do anything and we will do it

NotAGran55 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:23:55

I can’t find any reference to this in the News ? Where has this info come from Urmstongran?

Galaxy Fri 11-Jun-21 22:24:51

No neither can I. I can see people recommending it but nothing else.

Doodledog Fri 11-Jun-21 22:26:04

Biscuitmuncher

It amazes me that anyone fell for the government's crap in the first place! Control, that's what this is all about. They know they can tell us to do anything and we will do it

Why do you think the government, and other governments across the world, with different world views and outlooks have all got together to ask populations to stay indoors (or limit social behaviour)?

What is to be gained?

I am far from a supporter of Johnson and his team of fools, but I just can't see why people are prepared to believe that this is some sort of social control for the sake of it.

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 22:26:42

I’m not the most clued up politically but what’s this about Marxists in SAGE. .???

M0nica Fri 11-Jun-21 22:27:08

Urmston, it is late at night, I expect you have had a busy day, what with all the sudden hot weather, your brain has got a bit fevered and you are confusng a bad dream with reality.

You are assuming that people will continue to obey the rules if the extensions go on and on. The answer to that is they won't. More and more people will defy the rules.

Not the big defiant breaches of earlier on, no raves, huge weddings or street parties, but just casually, handwashing and hand sanitising being done less and less. This is already happening, distancing more casual, this also happening more and finally people just not bothering with masks. This will soo follow.

What are the police to do? arrest thousands every day, spend all their time writing instant fines, when they should be dealing with crime. Do the Conservatives want to hold those Red Wall constituencies at the next election. They won't if controls continue too long.

So I suggest a hot milky drink, possibly with a dash of something strong in it.

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:27:12

It's being dripped out slowly in the red tops mainly and Sky news
This Delta variant seems very fond of the unvaccinated

Ellan Fri 11-Jun-21 22:27:15

rosie59, no he did indeed say that it would be irreversible, several times actually

Galaxy Fri 11-Jun-21 22:27:41

I think the definition of marxists may have altered grin.

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 22:28:18

Biscuitmuncher

What do you suggest instead? I have an idea you’re not in favour of vaccines?

Lucca Fri 11-Jun-21 22:29:41

Galaxy

I think the definition of marxists may have altered grin.

Are Marxists people who stop other people doing what they want to do ?

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:31:33

Ellen will have to agree to disagree on that one is as far as I am concerned has said each stage of unlocked will be led by data not dates
Hes not reversing step 4 you can't reverse something you havent actually done yet

Urmstongran Fri 11-Jun-21 22:37:22

The Marxist I referred to is the SAGE lady. Can’t remember her name. She said yesterday we ought to wear masks forever. She is a fully paid up member of the Communist party.

fiorentina51 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:37:28

The wording in the UK government "roadmap." Note the word hope. Opening up on June 21st is an intention not a promise.

Step 4 - not before 21 JuneSocial contact

By Step 4 which will take place no earlier than 21 June, the government hopes to be in a position to remove all legal limits on social contact.

Business, activities and events

We hope to reopen remaining premises, including nightclubs, and ease the restrictions on large events and performances that apply in Step 3. This will be subject to the results of a scientific Events Research Programme to test the outcome of certain pilot events through the spring and summer, where we will trial the use of testing and other techniques to cut the risk of infection. The same Events Research Programme will guide decisions on whether all limits can be removed on weddings and other life events.

As we move through each of these phases in the roadmap, we must all remember that COVID-19 remains a part of our lives. We are going to have to keep living our lives differently to keep ourselves and others safe. We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’. Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place. Meet outdoors when we can and keep letting fresh air in. Get tested when needed. Get vaccinated when offered. If we all continue to play our part, we will be that bit closer to a future that is more familiar.

M0nica Fri 11-Jun-21 22:38:13

rosie flights from India or no flights from India the delta version would have reached the UK.

A traveller from India to the middle east, say Kuwait, than someone picks it up and travels to Turkey. Turkey to Germany, to France to Ireland to the UK.

It would take longer. In a way the faster it reached here and we started dealing with it, the quicker it can be dealt with and everything can open up again.

rosie1959 Fri 11-Jun-21 22:45:10

Urmstongran

The Marxist I referred to is the SAGE lady. Can’t remember her name. She said yesterday we ought to wear masks forever. She is a fully paid up member of the Communist party.

That was I believe Susan Michie
I know what she can do with her idea and the sun doesn't shine there