Gransnet forums

Chat

Have you ever looked in the mirror and seen .................... your grandmother?

(91 Posts)
25Avalon Wed 16-Jun-21 16:53:17

Got a shock the other day. As I was coming in the back door I caught my reflection in the glass and thought that’s my grandmother! My grandmother died when I was 15 so a real flashback out of the blue. I have grown my hair long during lockdown and no longer have a fringe. With a head band on, exposing my forehead and wearing glasses I recognised her immediately. It was uncanny as I never thought I looked like her. Weird.

Musicgirl Fri 18-Jun-21 16:01:12

I often see my mother looking back at me. In photos of each other from young childhood onwards, the resemblance is very strong. Sometimes I see her in a photo with my children when they were small, around twenty years ago, and do a double take because it is like looking at me as l am now.

Grandma2002 Fri 18-Jun-21 17:04:42

When I look in the mirror I see my Father's features but my Mother's face looks back at me - spooky what?

Felix4806 Fri 18-Jun-21 18:00:12

That gave me a good laugh, I love the way children just have no filter ?

ChrisK Fri 18-Jun-21 19:24:37

Occasionally I have looked in the mirror, especially lately and seen my mums eyes staring back at me, a bit spooky really, my dear mum departed this life at the age of only 65, she didn't really live to her full potential, when I was a child I was more like dad, but have changed with age, he lived to 101, died in 2019 sadly

NfkDumpling Fri 18-Jun-21 21:43:23

I look like my mum and she looked like my nan. My girls are doomed.

hereshoping Sat 19-Jun-21 08:28:06

I see my Dad every time that I look in the mirror. However I have my grandmothers substantial bosom.

magshard20 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:18:54

My mum died when I was a teenager, and her younger sister took over the role of mum, she only lived two doors away so it seemed natural to turn to her if I needed female guidance. I look in the mirror now and I can see her in her older years (I'm now 70, and she died a few years ago aged 91) It does startle me a bit but she was a lovely lady and I hope I have inherited her lovely down to earth ways with both family and friends.

Joesoap Sat 19-Jun-21 15:05:40

Its strange when I was younger we would meet somebody while out shopping and they would remark how like my Mother I was then another person would come up and say how like my Father I was, I dont look like either of them, but have my Mums personality now I am older,dont tolerate fools easily and dont tolerate rudeness or bad manners.
I loved both my parents and would like to be like them both in some way.

Pammie1 Sat 19-Jun-21 16:42:04

My dad and my grandmother - dad’s mum. They were the spitting image of each other and as I get older, they are both who I see looking back at me. It’s slightly unnerving I have to say.

jocork Sat 19-Jun-21 18:33:39

Not in the mirror but I have a photo of me taken in hospital after having my son, and in that I look very like my mum although never seen the likeness any other time.
I never knew my maternal grandmother as she died when my mum was a teenager. Looking through old photos after my mum died I found one of her and her mum and realised my grandmother looked just like my best friend from university days. Made me really wish I'd known her!
These days I don't feel old but when I look in the mirror I think "Who's that old hag?"

LadyJus Sun 20-Jun-21 09:48:02

Since I've started pinning my hair up and wearing glasses permanently I seem to have morphed into my mother.

eazybee Sun 20-Jun-21 10:40:30

I walked quickly towards a shop which had reflective panels at ground level, and realized I walked exactly like my father. My son does too.

tavimama Sun 20-Jun-21 11:17:34

I see my Mum in my face - my hair has gone very white and frames my face like hers. My sister comments on the resemblance every time I see her.

My brother sounds exactly like my Dad on the phone - quite upsetting for a long time after he passed.

My youngest twin has my sisters' profile - both my Mum and Husband have commented on it.

effalump Mon 21-Jun-21 12:30:43

Not so much the mirror, but shop windows. I realise how much like my dad I look.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:34:34

I just see an old lady (no idea who she is) looking back at me!!