Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday cottages for two people

(83 Posts)
Judy54 Fri 18-Jun-21 16:48:46

Mr J and I usually end up with a two or three bedroom cottage as a one bedroom is so hard to come by. On one occasion we arrived at a 3 bedroom only to find two of the bedrooms locked, on another occasion the Owner said how many are you and we said two to which she replied I will only make up one bedroom then. Our response was we have booked and paid for the whole cottage and we will decide which room we wish to sleep in. We said if we chose to stay in a 7 bedroom property and decided to sleep in a different room each night that was our prerogative. Shutting of some of the rooms if there is a discount for two people is fine but not when you have paid for the whole property. Has something like this ever happened to you and what are your views?

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jun-21 14:41:15

Some years ago we rented a holiday cottage less than half an hour from friends also renting in rural Italy. We were there for just over three weeks in a beautiful spot, in a lovely villa. They were friends we hadn't seen for the best part of a year and it was totally coincidental. It was exciting to have them to our holiday home one day and to go to explore "their" area with them another.

I would have thought it rather mean to have not allowed us to meet up in our rentals OldHag.

Kali2 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:54:47

OldHag ''Oh, and finally, just because you've paid for the use of the property for the week/fortnight, your friends or relatives haven't, and inviting other people to visit you at the property can lead to damage,''

I find this quite incredible- we very often holiday with friends or with family, and book a villa/cottage to suit the numbers that will be visiting us. You can't expect someone to rent a 3 or 4 bed with 3 or 4 bathrooms, etc- and only have the two main rentors to stay there- and only use on bedroom/bathroom.

Really?

Last time we rented, my brother came for a few days, and then a couple of young friends with the two kids. We paid for a bed change and bathroom clean for the switch over.

NotSpaghetti Tue 22-Jun-21 14:54:50

Just wondering if you put a no visitors directive in your rental agreement? I've never seen one.

Elsewhere in Italy we invited the "next door" neighbours one evening to share some wine and nibbles with us. It seemed totally appropriate. They had been so very helpful. The following year we popped in on them on our way south and kept on touch subsequently.

Ellianne Wed 23-Jun-21 09:02:49

Extra visitors are fine if you have sole use of the property and don't share facilities.
We had renters who wanted their friends to come over to use the pool, but as we had two other properties on site we said no. You have to consider the harmony of all the guests.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 23-Jun-21 11:07:43

When we book we always have to give names of anyone else who may come to stay even for a night. Not just visiting for an afternoon. I would imagine visitors who are not registered won’t be covered by insurance for example? Likewise use of the pool and insurance I would assume Ellianne.

NotSpaghetti Wed 23-Jun-21 11:16:26

Ellianne, I only ever rent a whole property. It was OldHag who said no visitors.
I wanted to know if that was in the contract?

There are taxes to pay for overnight guests in Italy so you do need to give details.

Ellianne Wed 23-Jun-21 11:28:30

You can draw up your own contract to what suits.
We ask for the name of the lead person so any problems can be taken up with one person. For the others we just ask whether they are adults or children.
We offered to pay taxes for our guests but our Maire refused saying it was more important to encourage guests to use the boulangerie, little shop, bar, butcher etc in the village.
Our rules around the property were minimal. I hate to see tickets on everything, but our A4 sheet on the pool had very clear guidelines. Insurance is an issue, yes Greeneyedgirl.