Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(61 Posts)
Michael12 Sat 19-Jun-21 06:04:52

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a grey but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Plans for the day bus to Buckingham ,and then Bicester , but returning direct back home .
light lunch , with cycling on TV , and maybe a Chinese Take Away later.
Take Care,
Mick

kittylester Sat 19-Jun-21 08:32:37

Morning all. As dragonfly says, North Leicestershire is cloudy which is very sad as it is our village festival. We are taking part in the garden walk and must remember to go out and hide our gnome for children to spot!

Tomorrow there is a fete on one of the parks - the forecast is for heavy rain. Much reduced income for our local children's hospital.

My brother probably has endocarditis which probably caused his stroke - but things are still not completely clear.

Grandmabatty Sat 19-Jun-21 08:37:11

Good morning all. Polmont is damp and drizzly. Mixed news on the thread this morning. Ashcombe you've been very patient but it must frustrate you. Urmstongran if you have any reception, Happy Birthday to you. Alizarin that's a lovely photo and it sounds like you had a good time. Susan56 ?. Kittylester ? for you too. I wish your brother well.
Yesterday started off with annoyances. I banged my toe badly on the footstool which meant I was in trainers instead of nice sandals. My toe is still painful today. Sometimes I am clumsy and yesterday was that day. Then I was babysitting to let dd to a hospital appointment for ten o'clock. I was going to friends for lunch for 12.30. When she hadn't returned by 12, I was getting edgy as I hate being late and rarely am. She finally made it home at 12.15 and was full of apologies. She had waited for ages with people coming after her and being taken before her. The joys of maternity clinics! I think they had forgotten about her.
Anyway the afternoon was splendid. The weather was lovely, I had a great blether with friends and a really nice lunch into the bargain.
Today I will go to Aldi then do some housework. I'm babysitting again tonight to let dd and sil go for a meal. Tomorrow is their anniversary. Have a good day all.

Anniebach Sat 19-Jun-21 08:38:16

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Grandmajean Sat 19-Jun-21 08:44:04

Good morning from Cheshire. A bit dull here today . DS is bringing round a Waitrose Chinese takeaway tonight for us as we are looking after DGS and DGD tomorrow while he and DIL go for lunch to celebrate a 90th birthday. He realised ( was more likely told ) that tomorrow is Fathers' Day and we are "on duty" as it were. Nice thought. No cooking tonight !
Good wishes to all who are ill or worried ( I'm a worrier too - it is exhausting )
Will come back to read posts later.

Nannytopsy Sat 19-Jun-21 08:45:07

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Grey but dry ( so far) in Suffolk.
Well done Alizarin - you must be so pleased with the progress you are making! What a great photo!
We had a surprise sleepover with DGC last night and Grandpa is cooking breakfast for them. I have a job involving reconnecting hosepipes lined up for them. Now that the soil is moist, I can water my slug nematodes onto the soil.
We had a surprise parcel of fresh fish from a friend in Cornwall yesterday. It was still cold and in great condition when it arrived. We had megrim for tea - such a treat as you can’t get it up country. It’s a type of sole, which has been largely exported to France of late. Not any more.
Better get moving - breakfast smells ready. Have a good day everyone. I hope everyone avoids the showers today.

Stilllearning Sat 19-Jun-21 08:48:48

Morning from S Lanarkshire, looks not too bad out. I read yesterday’s posts last night so would like to add my comments to those on your picture of your mum Mawbe. What a happy looking lady, My mum died when I was six, I truly envy you your memories.

I’m looking forward very much to a holiday in St Andrew’s with DD2 and family. We go next Wednesday and since I can’t make decisions anymore I am going to start organising my packing today! Oh for the days going abroad when you only had to choose warm weather clothes!

Keeping my fingers crossed for Blossoming today and wishing everyone else the best of days??

Nannytopsy Sat 19-Jun-21 08:49:18

I think this is my plan for today …

Jaxjacky Sat 19-Jun-21 08:56:33

Good, late for me, morning all, I had a couple more ? than normal last night and have slept for over nine hours. What a tedious game of football that was.
Ashcombe thank you for the photo upload tip ? works a treat. Blossoming I hope you’re nearly done and dusted.
Lots of activity today, we have children and GC’s here for an early afternoon bbq, hopefully we’ll have eaten before the rain comes back, boy did it tip down yesterday. Our new sofa and chair were delivered successfully, I miss my old chair that was sooo comfy, but disintegrating! Happy Birthday Urmstongran ???.
Enjoy your Saturday all, news for those absent would be lovely ??

Marydoll Sat 19-Jun-21 09:00:55

Good morning Mick and all from a damp Glasgow, where the sun is trying to pop through.

I overdid things yesterday, (fool that I am) and have had a particularly disturbed night. Feeling reasonably well over the last few days, I was lulled into a false sense of security, regarding my heart. Today will be a very quiet day, with a stay in bed for a couple of hours.

I'm glad to report that despite some tense moments, the conservatory chaos is no more and my world is back in equilibrium. The only job left to do is replace the blinds and we are now awaiting the exhorbitant quote for nine windows and the patio doors. Poor DH still thinks he is living in the days, when you could go into a sweetie shop and ask for a penny carmel. , he hasn't clue about prices!
The upside is, we will never need to replace them again, due to our advancing years! There are advantages to getting old! ?
I have to give DH the credit for a job well done, its just his organisational skills which are rubbish!! It did make me realise that he is no longer fit for this anymore, but getting him to accept that is well nigh impossible. ☹

I'm expecting visits from our children and Dollie over the weekend, so something to keep the spirits up.
DHs PC has been out of action for months and DS2, who has great expertise, eventually diagnosed the problem after trying everything he could think of, but the piece of kit had cost £500 and needed repaired or replaced, so shock for DH. ? He contacted the company, explained all the things DS had tried, they couldn't have been more helpful. To his great delight got an email yesterday, telling him the replacement motherboard was in the post at no cost. That was a surprise for him, as he had been expecting to fork out for a new one. Great service indeed It! It will mean a visit from DS2 to sort things, so I'm looking forward to that.

Susan, I hope your visit today is not too upsetting and you have a safe journey home.
I too have been wondering how Grandmajet is doing and hoping Blossoming gets good news after her procedure today. I also hope Auntieflo has had a better week, I was so touched when she took time to think of me, when she has so much to contend with herself. Kitty, praying for more positive news about your brother and Maw, I'm sure all will be well with your SIL.

To allwho have to deal with pain and sorrow, I pray you will have a bearable day. I'm always afraid I upset people, by missing someone out, but sometimes names stand out. Wishing all on here ( including the lurkers ?) a pleasant weekend,

ginny Sat 19-Jun-21 09:07:45

Good morning. As Maw says it’s dull here in N. Bucks.
We’ll be popping down to town for a quick food shop and coffee soon.
DH will be picking up MIL to have lunch and spend the afternoon with us.
A couple of days ago her elderly neighbour was taken into hospital as he couldn’t eat or move around without feeling sick.
He was put in a drip and kept in overnight. Next morning he was happily sitting up and eating weetabix and toast. He had been very dehydrated. The reason for this story is to remind everyone to make sure they have plenty to drink and to remind others( especially older friends and relatives) to do the same.
Had a lovely lunch with DD 1 yesterday although getting there was a marathon. Only 15 miles from home but there were so many roads closed that I seemed to be going around in circles. Didn’t help that I initially went to the wrong restaurant !
Healing thought to all who need them and hope all can find a smile today.

Grammaretto Sat 19-Jun-21 09:12:42

Good morning from the Scottish Borders. The rooks are back.
For years we had a rookery in our garden and neighbouring woodland. Then some of the biggest trees died, a housing estate was built and the rooks left.
This year for the first time in at least 20 years they are nesting again. They are very noisy. Maybe they are celebrating the football result?

I am with your DH Marydoll I am frequently shocked by prices. I have to pay my NHS dentist in installments of £100.

I am glad you have your conservatory back to enjoy.
I am hoping for a quiet day gardening and resting my poor sore mouth. grin

Nannagarra Sat 19-Jun-21 09:17:59

Good morning from overcast Sefton. This side of the border, as you might imagine Elizabeth1, the mood is quite different. Let’s just say the flag was removed swiftly!
Fingers crossed you soon manage to meet up with olddudders, Ashcombe. You have waited so, so long. What a proud grandmother you must be, harrigran.
???
Superb photograph Alizarin. How thoughtful of your sons to ensure you had a lovely time at the beach. Your comment about them placing you on then carefully lifting you from the sand is lovely.
A quick shower then I’ll be out on my bike for some much-needed exercise. The lack of sun here might deter the visiting hordes.
???
Thinking of those with birthdays, days out on holiday, meet ups with friends and family. Sending hugs to those with problems and to those with procedures - a special mench for Blossoming today. News of grandmajet would be welcome.

Greyduster Sat 19-Jun-21 09:25:16

Good morning, Michael and all GNs . It’s overcast but dry in South Yorkshire and a mite chilly! A late start from me. We did just an hour’s swimming yesterday afternoon and by early evening I was totally knocked out and aching all over. That’s what a two year break from a swimming pool does to you. The way I feel at the moment it might be two years before we go again! We are feeding DD and her menfolk tomorrow so I will have to do some shopping this morning. Have a good day folks.

Gingster Sat 19-Jun-21 09:31:16

Good morning all from a dull Suffolk coast. The rain hammered down all day yesterday. The flowers have been battered and the garden is a mess. ?

We awe awaiting DS1, wife and two Gd’s along with Willow , a rather large French Briard. They will stay for the weekend but not sure what we’ll do as the weather isn’t good. Never mind, we’ll enjoy each other’s company. ?

Happy holidays to all who are off somewhere.

Grandmajean Sat 19-Jun-21 09:57:14

Agree with Marydoll . I feel bad about missing out greetings to posters who have taken the trouble to tell us interesting stories. It is just impossible to acknowledge all posters ( I had trouble with the word "acknowledge" and used to be really proud of my brilliant spelling and ability to spot a mistake a mile off ! ) . I do read and enjoy them all and am always appreciative of comments made to me. I do feel that this thread is one where you need not fear an offensive remark. I only post on threads which are "unthreatening" as there is enough conflict in daily life already.
Best wishes for as good a day as possible to all. The sun is now shining brightly here ! Hope it is where you are too !

Stilllearning Sat 19-Jun-21 09:58:34

Hello again, I forgot to congratulate harrigran on her granddaughter’s lovely success and that is a gtreat picture of your grandson Alizarin, happy days.

GrannySomerset Sat 19-Jun-21 10:04:22

Grey and still this morning but it looks like a laundry free day so it doesn’t matter. DD and lovely SiL arriving this evening so that DD can join in the conversation with two care providers on Monday. She likes to keep an eye on me and I appreciate the support, and am hoping for a positive outcome.

My sympathy to all those worried about friends and relations, and special thoughts to Auntieflo and Grandmajet. Too much to hope that Marydoll has a day doing nothing, but a family visit will help keep her in one place.

aggie Sat 19-Jun-21 10:05:12

Morning All , it’s really dull and overcast here, but dry when we could do with a bit of rain !
My middle Daughter FaceTimed me from their caravan in north west Scotland, it looked wet but they are very upbeat
I haven’t posted as I seem to forget who I should/ want to , congratulate /commiserate with or just greet ! So love to all ???

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:13:45

Yes I frequently don't post as I cannot remember every one who has gone before especially if they are on another page and I am frightened of missing someone out.

Needless to say I do read all posts and comment when I remember!!

Grandmafrench Sat 19-Jun-21 10:44:28

Good Morning everyone from a coffee by the side of the pool, South of France! Nope. Only just getting up. Oh the shame!
Yesterday I seemed to have been trapped in the garden. Bit silly because it was so hot, but once I started doing things which were demanding attention, it all went on and on. You know how it goes!

DH lured me to a seat with coffee, tea, lunch, a random Magnum! But each time those pots and plants, soil and pebbles, feed and blower dragged me back as if I was on a long piece of string - and no scissors. And the Jasmine…..it’s been ‘snowing’ falling blossom for days and quickly browning and being trampled. All that on stone does make the place look neglected.

Anyway garden looks good. I do not. So a shower to properly wake up my aching joints, followed by a cooling swim. Man on a scooter went out for aubergines and ricotta and, hopefully, a couple of sneaky Saturday croissants!

A day of relaxing, reading, and catching up on emails, I think.
It’s amazing how much time we can spend, stretched out on cushions, watching buzzards and gulls wheeling very high on the thermals while we occasionally squabble over the binoculars if we’re really minded to. ? so, today we’ll have a rest.

Received such good news last night. We’d been told that our friend who died suddenly last week will have to wait in a mortuary in Ontario until at least October, before funeral arrangements can be considered. The situation with Covid having taken away the ability to organise or deal with most things in a timely or respectful way, his Wife reported that one of their Sons, who lives in Canada has actually been able to organise the cremation and he has secured permission to bring the ashes to France and to here (his Dad’s favourite place), where a proper service can be organised before too long. We’re so happy for her and for him because, however premature and sad, he gets his wish and we can all say goodbye properly.

Loved that glorious photo, Alzarin. That’s one for a frame on the wall, surely? Count the hours ‘til you’re back home, Blossoming - with results to have made it all worthwhile.
Hopefully better day, Auntieflo. Cherry, Harri, GrannyS, Susan, Kitty, some respite from worries.
Are you doing ok., grandmajet? Stop worrying, Maw and get some rest - take a tip from your greyhounds and their ability to rest their eyes, anywhere! He’ll be fine - he’ll superbike it all the way to Somerset and you’ll be proud!
If you’re enjoying a birthday today, Urms, make sure it’s a wonderful one?, with a glass or 3 with your relatives.
Where are you Ellan - you better not have been banned - we’re worried.
Enjoy being back on your bike Nannagarra but be careful. We know you love us, grandmajean - your lovely warmth shines through in your posts? - have a good weekend.

Stay safe, dear GoodMorningers. Hold on tightly to those Flamingoes (oh! maybe not that tightly, please!) and find the fun. That’s your mission for today!

Hugs as always ????‍♀️???

muse Sat 19-Jun-21 10:45:26

?good morning Mick. ??? for everyone else.
I’m struggling, as usual, to type on my iPhone but I wanted to send everyone a ?. One day a?will appear on my MacBook. Hand injury two years ago left me with little use of right thumb. I used to use both on phone.

Late post today. After 5 days of rising at 7:30 MrM and I had a lie in. He didn’t get to bed till 3:00am. We except a little rain this the weekend and lots on Monday. Flood lighting was erected by the abyss and he’s started to erect a support frame to take a tarpaulin. Solid clay soil so rain takes forever and a day to drain away.

I’m off to get my laptop now as progress is too slow for me. Too many errors to correct.
????????????????????????

joyce6135 Sat 19-Jun-21 10:46:39

Morning all, I am always a late poster but love to read what you are all doing. Marydoll makes me smile every day, such an orator. Not much doing today, have a good one everyone.

Mapleleaf Sat 19-Jun-21 10:47:55

Good morning everyone,

It's beginning to brighten up and warm up in South Yorkshire now, so fingers crossed for a nice Saturday. We had a lot of rain yesterday, which I'm sure the grass and plants have appreciated. The problem is that they've put on a growth spurt as a result, so are in need of some attention.

We've had a busy week this week which is why I haven't posted, decorating our bedroom, which was in desperate need of doing. We've vowed that it's the last time we do it ourselves! As you'll no doubt agree, it's not so much the actual painting that's tiring, it's the removal and putting back of all the furniture and "stuff" one accumulates?. We've had a bit of a cull (which I find hard, but needs must), but we've decided that fitted furniture is the way to go, so that's the next project we are saving up for, then when it needs decorating again, not so many things will need to come out of the room before the decorator moves in. Isn't it an upheaval though? Every other room upstairs was filled with something or other until we could put everything back. I now ache in places I'd forgotten I could ache ??. Still, it's worth it as everything looks clean once more.

Today will be a lazy day, just a small food shop later, but otherwise, feet up.

I do hope that today brings comfort to all of you with troubles, pain or difficulties. ?

Take care.

Georgesgran Sat 19-Jun-21 11:38:49

A late good morning from a warm, cloudy Durham. Off to the zoo with DGS soon.
Wanted to add my congratulations to harri’s DGS - she sounds a little more upbeat than in recent posts? X

Georgesgran Sat 19-Jun-21 11:39:29

DHD! Sorry harri.