Gransnet forums

Chat

Cultured Meat. Will you eat it?

(70 Posts)
Namsnanny Thu 24-Jun-21 23:19:02

In 2019 the first cooked cultured chicken meat was sold to the public in Singapore.

It seems all the big names have put their money into this and other cultured meat products.

It is on track to be available in our supermarkets from 2023-2030.

The savings for the planet and of course animal grown meat are obvious.

If it passes criteria for farmed meat, and is of a similar price, will you buy it?

Spice101 Fri 25-Jun-21 00:50:03

Simple answer

No

BlueBelle Fri 25-Jun-21 00:54:26

Probably not as I don’t feel any need to eat meat I don’t hanker after it I m more than happy with my vegetarian diet so wouldn’t have any need to change again now
I prefer natural food to scientifically altered food anyway, I see no need for me but if it helps the planet to get people away from killing animal then it should be helpful

nanna8 Fri 25-Jun-21 01:06:03

What is it? Is it that fake meat stuff ? Sounds like something germy grown in a test tube !

ElderlyPerson Fri 25-Jun-21 02:21:56

nanna8

What is it? Is it that fake meat stuff ? Sounds like something germy grown in a test tube !

I think that it is micro organisms but in much larger vessels than a test tube.

I won't eat it, but I have been vegan for many years.

I don't eat the vegan stuff that is made to look and even taste like "the original".

Though if the fake stuff and the test tube stuff is eaten by people who presently eat "the original" and thereby reduces or better still eliminates the cruelty then that would be beneficial.

BigBertha1 Fri 25-Jun-21 07:08:09

No

Calendargirl Fri 25-Jun-21 07:12:14

Sounds like ‘posh’ meat.

No, I won’t be eating it.

monk08 Fri 25-Jun-21 07:37:40

No thanks I'd rather become a vegetarian.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Jun-21 07:42:43

No

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 07:46:27

After the glimpse of what I saw yesterday I might consider it, although it does have the yuk factor, but maybe we should get over it and stop sentient beings suffering.

ayse Fri 25-Jun-21 08:31:02

No. We have enough added ingredients in our food already.

Mollygo Fri 25-Jun-21 08:32:19

No

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 08:47:09

ayse

No. We have enough added ingredients in our food already.

As I understand it this is meat cultured in the laboratory ( at present) so not clear whether it would have added ingredients?

Sarnia Fri 25-Jun-21 08:56:42

No fear. I am not a big meat eater anyway but when I am I want the proper stuff and not something that has been tinkered about with, washed in chlorine or stuffed full of God knows what.

Lin52 Fri 25-Jun-21 09:59:44

No in a word.

henetha Fri 25-Jun-21 10:01:50

No. I'm nearly a vegetarian now. Cutting right down on meat.
Just can't resist a bit of chicken now and then.

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:03:33

Sarnia

No fear. I am not a big meat eater anyway but when I am I want the proper stuff and not something that has been tinkered about with, washed in chlorine or stuffed full of God knows what.

Its none of those things. Its artificial meat, nothing to do with an actual living animal.

I'm veggie. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Buy a nice aubergine instead.

mumofmadboys Fri 25-Jun-21 10:08:59

No, eat a veggie diet anyway

MiniMoon Fri 25-Jun-21 10:13:49

Cultured meat isn't artificial, it is grown from the cells of real living animals.
Cultured Beef is created by painlessly harvesting muscle cells from a living cow. Scientists then feed and nurture the cells so they multiply to create muscle tissue, which is the main component of the meat we eat. It is biologically exactly the same as the meat tissue that comes from a cow.

I would eat it, without any qualms whatsoever.

FlexibleFriend Fri 25-Jun-21 10:14:06

I'd at least try it although I don't eat much meat anyway.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:17:44

MiniMoon

Cultured meat isn't artificial, it is grown from the cells of real living animals.
Cultured Beef is created by painlessly harvesting muscle cells from a living cow. Scientists then feed and nurture the cells so they multiply to create muscle tissue, which is the main component of the meat we eat. It is biologically exactly the same as the meat tissue that comes from a cow.

I would eat it, without any qualms whatsoever.

That is what I thought and the way to go imo.

Why would you kill a sentient being when there is a viable alternative.

Alegrias1 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:44:22

Thanks for the clarification MiniMoon.

25Avalon Fri 25-Jun-21 10:48:25

Personally I would rather have free range or organic so probably wouldn’t eat it. BUT I think it is a better option to battery hens or intensive farming where animals are kept in unnatural cruel conditions.

MayBee70 Fri 25-Jun-21 10:52:11

I am trying to eat less meat and have the occasional vegan day (but still have milk in tea I’m afraid) and do believe that we need to rethink what we eat and how the animals we eat are treated ( I actually feel awful writing that as I’m guilty of disassociating the meat I eat from the living creature it once was). But what do we do about feeding our dogs and cats? I know dogs can have a varied diet but cats have to eat meat.

timetogo2016 Fri 25-Jun-21 11:03:10

I would rather eat soya tbh.