Gransnet forums

Chat

Cultured Meat. Will you eat it?

(71 Posts)
Namsnanny Thu 24-Jun-21 23:19:02

In 2019 the first cooked cultured chicken meat was sold to the public in Singapore.

It seems all the big names have put their money into this and other cultured meat products.

It is on track to be available in our supermarkets from 2023-2030.

The savings for the planet and of course animal grown meat are obvious.

If it passes criteria for farmed meat, and is of a similar price, will you buy it?

greenlady102 Sat 26-Jun-21 11:27:17

PS I know that Gransnet folk aren't so silly but loads of people do think that an increase in vegetarian/vegan living will mean all the cows and sheep will live free lives until they die of old age....they won't!
The other thing that I wonder what will happen to the areas of the Uk which are managed by grazing? It can happen now because the grazing animals are privately owned. Owners pay a fee to graze their animals and they are then sold for meat/wool/ leather and so on. Do vegans wear wool? Sheep are bred to have specific coats that are heavier than they would be naturally so I would think that wool would fall within the embargoed list?

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 26-Jun-21 11:29:13

Sounds fishy!!

Alegrias1 Sat 26-Jun-21 11:39:48

greenlady102

PS I know that Gransnet folk aren't so silly but loads of people do think that an increase in vegetarian/vegan living will mean all the cows and sheep will live free lives until they die of old age....they won't!
The other thing that I wonder what will happen to the areas of the Uk which are managed by grazing? It can happen now because the grazing animals are privately owned. Owners pay a fee to graze their animals and they are then sold for meat/wool/ leather and so on. Do vegans wear wool? Sheep are bred to have specific coats that are heavier than they would be naturally so I would think that wool would fall within the embargoed list?

The cows and sheep won't be living lovely lives in the country. They won't exist in the first place.

I don't expect it will happen tomorrow, eating less meat would be phased in. The argument about what will happen to all the animals is a red herring.

If you excuse the pun grin

greenlady102 Sat 26-Jun-21 11:52:03

Alegrias1

greenlady102

The cows and sheep won't be living lovely lives in the country. They won't exist in the first place.

I don't expect it will happen tomorrow, eating less meat would be phased in. The argument about what will happen to all the animals is a red herring.

If you excuse the pun grin

yes I know its a red herring and I am not making the argument....I have seen it said though and by people who appeared quite sensible. The managed areas thing is more of an issue, not an argument against but something that needs to be addressed as part of the transition.

poshpaws Sat 26-Jun-21 12:14:30

Whitewavemark2

After the glimpse of what I saw yesterday I might consider it, although it does have the yuk factor, but maybe we should get over it and stop sentient beings suffering.

I'd never heard of it before this thread, but I'm with Whitewavemark2 - if it stops sentient beings suffering then it's all good to me.

Alegrias1 Sat 26-Jun-21 12:31:10

Sorry greenlady102, I knew you weren't using that as an argument, apologies if it came across that I was arguing with you!

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 15:53:54

There are ways of using the land **. Such as aquaponics aeroponics and hydroponics.

It isnt necessary to use the earth itself to produce vegetables anymore.
Land that is difficult using older conventional methods, can now be converted cheaply and easily to producing veg for the local market. Or any market. Selling locally makes more sense though.

I dont understand why it the farming community hasnt revolutionised the way it runs itself.
Given that micro farming (using the methods mentioned above) are cheap and available?
Perhaps someone on GN knows the answer?

I agree with you about dairy products. As it stands I know of no replacement.
Maybe we have to compromise over dairy. Until there is.

But it shouldnt stop farmers or small holders from looking to the future of their industry, as I fear for their livelihood if they dont.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 15:56:05

The above reply is for greenlady 11.21!

Blinko Sat 26-Jun-21 16:10:21

MiniMoon

Cultured meat isn't artificial, it is grown from the cells of real living animals.
Cultured Beef is created by painlessly harvesting muscle cells from a living cow. Scientists then feed and nurture the cells so they multiply to create muscle tissue, which is the main component of the meat we eat. It is biologically exactly the same as the meat tissue that comes from a cow.

I would eat it, without any qualms whatsoever.

If it means not killing or ill treating animals, then I'd give it a go.

OnwardandUpward Sat 26-Jun-21 18:20:14

Isn't culturing how Quorn is made? Apparently Quorn is banned in Canada for not meeting their nutritional requirements for a meat substitute. I wonder how the cultured meat will fare nutritionally?

I would like to know what the nutritional benefits are and also I do think it would be good to have meat without suffering. I wonder how many vegans and veggies would eat meat if it was produced without suffering?

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 18:45:38

Minimoon has posted the ins and outs of the manufacture up thread OnwardandUpward.

The nutritional benefits are the same as for farmed meat.

The savings come from not wasting the planets resources raising animals, discarding some parts as waste, transporting them hither thither, stopping deforestation for a mono produce which will be beneficial only to first world countries.

By 2050 the world will have 3 billion more people to feed clothe water ect.
A way to do that has to be engineered, and if eating cultured meat is a way forward, plus all the savings for the planet that might be had, I could see myself buying it.

annodomini Sat 26-Jun-21 18:46:06

Quorn doesn't claim to be a meat substitute, though it is included in a number of products like burgers and sausages. It takes on the flavour of the ingredients with which it is prepared. Just like tofu, from that point of view. It's not cultured from animal cells but from micro-fungi. I don't pretend to know the science, but animals are certainly not involved.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 18:49:51

I believe Qourn is fermented fungus OnwardandUpward I think.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 19:04:00

X posts annodomini smile

Witzend Sun 27-Jun-21 09:36:40

We don’t eat nearly so much meat any more, and when we do it’s strictly free range/UK only, but I’d probably give the cultured stuff a try. Same as I’ve tried vegan ‘sausages’ at dd’s house. They were passable but I wouldn’t buy them myself.

Namsnanny Sun 27-Jun-21 16:02:38

Sarah Gilbert and Cath Green (virologists), along with many others have predicted (and continue to do so) that animal to human transmission of viruses from intensive farming practices are highly likely to occur in the future.

It seems to me that cultured meat could help to eradicate some of the threat.

MayBee70 Sun 27-Jun-21 16:05:19

I know it sounds a bit draconian but it’s a pity there can’t be a wartime like restriction on the amount of meat a family can buy.

Namsnanny Sun 27-Jun-21 16:12:56

Well I dont think its draconian, it sounds sensible for our health MayBee

But I suppose it doesnt go far enough to address the problems of land use, and all the other savings mentioned up thread.

M0nica Tue 29-Jun-21 08:19:52

When you are hearing now of the damage ultra processed foods (UPF) are doing to our health, bringing in this kind of product seems counter productive.

Shropshirelass Tue 29-Jun-21 08:26:04

No, definitely not. I don’t eat anything processed so wouldn’t consider cultured products.