Gransnet forums

Chat

left out of mothers will

(34 Posts)
sunnybean60 Sun 27-Jun-21 12:01:55

I am struggling really struggling.
My dad died 2 years ago. At the time my parents were living next door to my sister (middle). My sister did so much for them but literally from the moment they moved in next door problems arose with my mum being argumentative, this is not new.
Dad died. The stress of dad and the housing situation ended up mum moving to be closer to my other sister (youngest).
Mum I suspect has a personality disorder because she was treated appalling as a child and abused in every which way. Living with her was very difficult growing up. There were plenty of fall outs mainly with me being the eldest or my middle sister, as the youngest sister would always manage to keep out the way.
A couple of months ago out of the blue my youngest sister told me she never wanted a relationship with me every again. She has already estranged herself from my other sister. after dad died and mum moved close to her, I had expected it because they never got on.
Mum is 86. She has let it been known to us three daughters that she intends to leave everything (a vast inheritance) to our younger sister only. Her reason is that youngest sister will eventually move in with her if she becomes frail. No good talking to mum about this because she becomes angry.
My problem is how do I move on? It is messing with my head. I am not entirely surprised as younger sister always has looked after herself first but I am upset.
Younger sister is the executor of my mothers will, appears to be sole beneficiary (I haven't seen the will).
It feels like another grief and in away it is a huge loss. But I wondered if any others have experienced this and how did you cope. It's making me feel very bitter.

Spec1alk Sat 25-Dec-21 11:24:57

We had a will from Dad that left everything shared equally between the three children and I was the executor. My brother had caused difficulties with the family all his life and my sister wanted me to not give him his allotted one third share. I explained that it was my responsibility to do what Dad wanted. And I did. My brother accused me of not giving him his fair share and my sister accused me of not sharing the money between the two of us who cared for mum and dad till their death. It was terrible!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 25-Dec-21 21:45:25

Spec1alk you have to do what it states in your Fathers will, not want anyone else wants!

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 25-Dec-21 21:46:03

It isn’t a matter of choice it’s the law!
Sorry pressed too soon

Ali23 Sat 25-Dec-21 22:18:53

Sunny beam, I’m so sorry for the pain that this is causing you. Have you thought of finding a psychodynamic counsellor to help you to move on from the pain that your mother has caused and is causing now? I have found such a counsellor to be a godsend. With work, they could help you to reduce your pain now and also help you in the future, when your mum dies.

Floradora9 Sun 26-Dec-21 16:09:13

If she had lived in Scotland you could claim against the will despite her wishes . You can claim against the movable estate so not a house but money , shares etc.. This is sometimes fair and sometimes unfait . My uncle left all his money to one son for a good reason but his two siblings put in a claim and got their share . This caused extra costs because of solisitor's fees and was not what my uncle wanted.

Septimia Sun 26-Dec-21 16:43:27

My mum and her brother fell out when I was a child. Mum had looked after their parents, my uncle lived hundreds of miles away and couldn't.

My grandparents left their house to my mum, and the contents to my uncle. My uncle was very upset about this. Eventually, when I got married and went to visit him on the way home from my honeymoon, they sorted out their problems and a good relationship was restored, my uncle realising that Mum had earned the house for the caring she had done.

We all visited each other quite often after that.

My FiL left his house and money to be divided equally, even though DH and I did most of his care, DH's sister doing what she could from a distance and his brother doing very little despite being local.

mumofmadboys Sun 26-Dec-21 17:36:07

I dont think leaving money should be related to who does the most care. We care for elderly parents because we want to, not for a monetary reward.

Septimia Sun 26-Dec-21 21:00:03

You're right mumofmadboys. It shouldn't be a reward for services rendered. It should be the decision of the person making the will, because that's what they want to do with their property. There shouldn't be any influence from any family members.