Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Thread the Second- Tiaras Optional! ?

(934 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Jul-21 09:12:05

Welcome to Thread II!

We companionably mused, gossiped and waffled about Royalty, and vaguely related things for 1000 posts!

Starting with names; and ending on them them…
and in between covered everything from Adam Faith to Scottish Country Dancing!

So, as before, God Bless this Ship and All who Sail in her! ??

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:28:59

Never heard of this before.
Who else has been awarded this I wonder?

eazybee Sat 10-Jul-21 12:36:27

If that is true, I think it is shameful.
Many people choose to have just two children simply for financial reasons, but to reward couples for this smacks of Chinese population control.

Lexisgranny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:47:32

This award was given by an organisation called Population Matters and has been covered by several newspapers and Sky and ITV news. I suppose, to be fair, they were awarded it, they didn’t ask for it.

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:51:34

I'm more interested in a charity(?) That has enough funds to give £500 to those who qualify!
Where does its finance come from?

This sounds like an inducement ment for the 3rd world.

China by the way, needs more children and are giving inducements in the form of state help to parents now.

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:53:11

X posts Lexigrannysmile
Thanks will look up at my leisure.

Peasblossom Sat 10-Jul-21 12:57:15

Well, they’ve got two children but it doesn’t mean they’ve limited themselves to two. The award is a bit premature isn’t it?

Unless they’ve both had an op?

(Says the woman who limited herself to two and somehow ended up with three?)

Lexisgranny Sat 10-Jul-21 13:01:48

Must admit it did occur to me that this charity would be gaining a lot of publicity by making this award.

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 13:57:08

Lexisgranny

I see this morning that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been awarded a prize of £500 for “making the enlightened decision” to limit their family to two children. The prize money is to go to a charity but it did not specify if the money is to be donated to Archewell or a charity nominated by them

I heard about this a while ago, when it was first publicised by them, it was considered a deliberate snub to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge who have three children.

Lexisgranny Sat 10-Jul-21 15:10:16

That is really interesting Callistemon begging the question why the media are all covering it today.

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 15:36:48

Lexisgranny

That is really interesting Callistemon begging the question why the media are all covering it today.

It was Harry declaring two years ago they would only have two children in order to save the planet.
www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/02/why-did-prince-harry-need-to-say-he-and-meghan-markle-will-only-have-two-kids-for-the-sake-of-the-planet/

I think they have just been given the award by this charity.

I do hope they don't have a little 'oops' moment!

Anniebach Sat 10-Jul-21 15:48:46

Best they avoid lying under trees

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 16:26:39

Especially gooseberry bushes.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 17:10:01

Oh, doesn't everyone get excited when something nice happens to the Sussexes.

Population Matters is a charity that promotes the idea that a smaller population would be good for the world. Their patron is David Attenborough so they can't be all bad hmm

10 awards have been made to people who by their leadership have drawn focus to the fact that a growing population isn't a good thing. One of the awards went to Nairashe Maritsa, a teenager fighting child marriage in Zimbabwe. Its the UN's World Population Day on Sunday. (all info courtesy of Google, BTW)

I don't have any children at all but I don't think I'm eligible, given that they've only given it to 10 people.

Must admit it did occur to me that this charity would be gaining a lot of publicity by making this award. You think so? confused

sodapop Sat 10-Jul-21 17:18:29

Really can't believe this tripe. Either the Sussex family will do anything for publicity or the people awarding the 'prize' are turning subservience into an art form.

Anniebach Sat 10-Jul-21 17:19:38

Suppose the prize is a good contraceptive

Mollygo Sat 10-Jul-21 17:20:42

Hurray. I’ve never come remotely close to deserving an award before, but one DD would qualify for this one.
Shame she’s not important enough to get them publicity. She certainly needs the money more than the Sussexes.

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 17:32:53

Jeezy peeps, the Sussexes don't get the money. confused

sodapop Sat 10-Jul-21 17:38:46

But they do get the publicity and adulation Algerias

Alegrias1 Sat 10-Jul-21 17:43:07

Yes they do. And that's why the charity chose them. Well I'm not sure about the adulation, actually, I think that's more reserved for the "real" Royals.

It will probably come as a surprise to some but the fact that they are popular with many people makes them a good vehicle for this charity to use to get their message over.

PR's a business just like everything else.

Peasblossom Sat 10-Jul-21 18:18:25

A smaller population would be good for the world. In fact it’s the only long term solution.

But , like I said, it’s a bit premature.

grannydarkhair Sat 10-Jul-21 19:36:51

Back to tiaras - there is a wonderful scene in The Big Bang Theory when a tiara is given as a way of saying sorry. It obviously helps if you “know” the respective characters. It’s one of my favourite TBBT moments. You can easily find it via Google or YouTube.

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 20:05:42

Population Matters is a charity that promotes the idea that a smaller population would be good for the world. Their patron is David Attenborough so they can't be all bad^ hmm

I knew David Attenborough was in favour. He only has two children and - oops - six! grandchildren.

We're doing better so far.

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 20:08:50

Sorry, that should be in ^ ^ as it quoted another post

Population Matters is a charity that promotes the idea that a smaller population would be good for the world. Their patron is David Attenborough so they can't be all bad

LauraNorder Sat 10-Jul-21 20:52:54

I have four children, do I win a tiara?

Callistemon Sat 10-Jul-21 20:55:04

You're very norty, LauraNorder.

No, there is no £500 for you!!
Nor me.

Although does it depend on the number of DGC you have?