Gransnet forums

Chat

Being a Nanna

(83 Posts)
Barberty Sat 17-Jul-21 19:28:59

Can any one tell me, why I feel that I have given birth to my grandsons? I feel that they are mine, I have overwhelming and I mean overwhelming love for them .. I know that I haven't slept with my son-in-law lol .. When I look at pictures of them when they were as a babies tears just roll down face and I want to scoop them up and never let go!! My daughter know all this and she thinks I'm a silly old Nanna .. Does anyone else feel this way?

Cherrytree59 Mon 19-Jul-21 20:56:49

My daughter had a difficult pregnancy and as her partner worked away, I accompanied to maternity appointments and emergency appointments
Every time I saw my grandson on the monitors, I felt the rush of love for a child that was my flesh and blood.

I was extremely lucky to be at the birth of my first grandson.
When I held him an arrow pierced my heart.
It took me by complete surprise.

My love for my maternal grandmother was almost the same.
We shared an unbreakable bond.

Invisible umbilical cord that runs from my grandmother right down the generations to grandsons..

DillytheGardener Mon 19-Jul-21 21:59:39

That’s so beautiful Cherrytree59

SophiaCharm1 Tue 20-Jul-21 01:55:47

Agree with srn63. I am overjoyed to watch my son parent our granddaughter. We pass on a heritage to our children, and they do the same for their children. I am blessed to be a new "nanna".

Mistyfluff8 Thu 22-Jul-21 06:26:33

NanKate so sorry you had postnatal depression a d I expect in those days you did not get help from the doctor health visitor etc So you didn’t enjoy being a new mum You are not alone I have met many mums like you some with the baby blues some with postnatal psychosis and now you enjoy your grandchildren as much as you can .In those days we were expected to give up work once we had a baby and stay at home .I remember being told off by a Health Visitor why do you want to go back to work for and I said I was bored (answer from her nice house etc)but for me mentally bored My in-laws couldn’t understand it either but they were very old fashioned Yes I have grandchildren and enjoy them and one set look after for childcare every week .

Moth62 Thu 22-Jul-21 18:22:53

I’m with the OP on this one. I held my granddaughter when she was just a few hours old and felt such an overwhelming love for her that has never changed. I love my three sons to the very depths of my being, but the love I have for this wee girl is very special.

Kandinsky Thu 22-Jul-21 18:30:04

I must be a bit odd, because whilst I love my grandchildren it’s nothing like the love I felt for my own kids.

NanKate Thu 22-Jul-21 21:48:04

Thank you Misty for being so understanding. I hid my depression from my friends. I always felt such a failure as a mother but my DS and I are now very close. I love being a Nan.