Gransnet forums

Chat

First C-word catalogue arrived this morning! - 4th August

(50 Posts)
Witzend Wed 04-Aug-21 12:58:34

From the Dogs’ Trust - is that the earliest or can anyone beat it?

Whatdayisit Mon 09-Aug-21 15:59:56

Thankyou CalendarGirl for your kindness. I am going to plan for the grandchildren to get in the spirit and we will just go with the flow. Poor husband has had the stuffing knocked out of him - in his own world most of the time.
So many people must be looking forward or dreading this Christmas more than usual after last year.

LauraNorder Fri 06-Aug-21 16:09:37

Sorry flowerofthewesr, didn’t mean to be insensitive. Came straight to post when I saw the title.
I’m so sorry about your sadness, my deepest sympathy.

LauraNorder Fri 06-Aug-21 16:05:31

Noooooooooo, running away with fingers in ears

Smurf52 Fri 06-Aug-21 16:01:55

Please do mention the C word. I’m laid up with a fractured ankle 3 weeks post op and thinking of C brightens my day as I hope to be back to normal by then!

Witzend Fri 06-Aug-21 08:37:38

Mods, can you pls move my last post to flowerofthewestx2’s new thread. Thank you.,

Witzend Fri 06-Aug-21 08:36:19

flowerofthewestx2, please don’t let anyone upset you about this. ?

A very old friend’s husband died just before the first lockdown. It’s a long drive away, but we’d certainly have gone to the funeral if it had been allowed. As it was, there could only be 5 or 6 at the service, so she had always planned a good send-off for him later.

The first she planned had to be cancelled because of restrictions, but the 2nd took place last week. There was a lovely church service with lots of friends and relatives, and a very nice ‘do’ afterwards. It all went so well and despite the sad reason, was a very enjoyable affair which we were all sure he’d have enjoyed and thoroughly approved of.
All best wishes.

Calendargirl Fri 06-Aug-21 07:00:40

What a sad year for you and your husband Whatdayisit.

Must be hard to plan for Christmas, knowing what to do for the best.

flowers

BigBertha1 Fri 06-Aug-21 06:53:00

I notice the Christmas films have appeared on Gransnet. I quite enjoy starting all the Christmas stuff but don't start until October. This year I shall definitely push the boat out.

Sawsage2 Thu 05-Aug-21 23:12:26

OMG. Let's get over the last few horrible years before we have to worry
about owt else ?

flowerofthewestx2 Thu 05-Aug-21 21:32:21

Sorry I posted on wrong page. Ill start my own thread.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 05-Aug-21 20:50:07

Urgh! Christmas has no place intruding on the summer. I have before now seen Christmas cards on sale in charity shops but haven't gone out shopping much for some months so have been spared that. I do buy an occasional item to put away for Christmas or birthday presents if I see something I think family members would like but that's not a planned thing. No, I don't start on any planned Christmas shopping until our caravan site has closed for the winter at the end of October, then being cooped up and fidgety, (I hate the winter), I start on Christmas stuff to tide me over until the I can start looking forward to the spring again.

Unigran4 Thu 05-Aug-21 19:29:12

I was a postie for 20 years and it was not unusual to have C catalogues to deliver in June.

Whatdayisit Thu 05-Aug-21 18:34:03

Flowerofthewestx2

Sorry that you lost your husband. I can understand both sides and both sides have a right to do what is right for them.
Many people are having memorial services and life celebrations.
Maybe she didnt mean for you to take it personally. Have you family to discuss your wishes.
Try and not take it to heart. You are mulling it over because you are on your own. Go ahead as planned or have another think it is your decision not hers.

flowerofthewestx2 Thu 05-Aug-21 18:13:53

Opinions please

My DH died in Nov.
I had a distant unattended cremation for him
(Our immediate family is quite large so didn't want to leave people out of a funeral)
I thought I would have a Celebration of his life at a later date.
His good friend and colleague died in June 2020 just before him.

I was planning to have the gathering in Feb 2022 near his birthday.

His colleges wife has made me feel that I'm being foolish. Sawing that she has decided against her planned memorial service as her husband "being a modest chap" would have been satisfied with the simple Christian Service with close long term friends and colleagues
And no 'hangers on.

It shook me a bit. Obviously I couldn't read her face in an email but I wonder if I should forget the whole thing

I feel quite shaken and tearful.

Whatdayisit Thu 05-Aug-21 16:50:20

I never usually think about xmas till November but this week i have started making little plans to have BIG family dinners.
I think because it was such a disappointment last year and we haven't had the whole family one yet and the year hasn't really gone to plan i am - for the first time in my life - thinking about getting excited for it!
My husband's son took his own life this year and i was thinking about doing everything we can to make Christmas extra special rather than not wanting to face it. Then you think about his daughter's mum who will have all the expense to burden but no longer receives any maintenance payments.
I have forever hated Christmas but over the last 5 years we have gone all out to make the decorations gobsmacking for the grandchildren and make special family meals and avoid as much tack as possible.
I think this year charities can be forgiven for being so early as they need the money more than ever.
I really hope we don't have the same let down as last year but heyho!

DanniRae Thu 05-Aug-21 16:38:54

I received the Dogs Trust catalogue a few days ago too. Put it away till, maybe, November.

grannypiper Thu 05-Aug-21 16:36:44

Stir-up Sunday is not far away.

CBBL Thu 05-Aug-21 16:31:21

I received an Owl Barn (Charity) Catalogue in APRIL which had Christmas Cards in it!

Personally, I don't mind - though I have not yet ordered Christmas Cards, I probably will do so, quite soon!

Edith81 Thu 05-Aug-21 16:21:39

Maddyone did you say summer? I’m still waiting for it to arrive. Too soon for Christmas thoughts.

Happysexagenarian Thu 05-Aug-21 15:31:28

Far too early! I hate to see Christmas things in the shops and catalogues before October, for me summer isn't over until the beginning of September. If I buy Christmas cards or gifts too early I usually lose them! The only thing I do throughout the year is sew christmassy things: stockings, table runners, cutlery holders, advent calendars, quilts etc. which I sell from October onwards.

As a child Christmas was never mentioned in our house until November. After the summer hols there was Harvest Festival to break up the long wait for Christmas.

I notice shops were advertising 'Back to School' products a couple of weeks ago when the kids have only just started their holidays! I appreciate that uniform may need to be ordered early but it seems such a shame to keep reminding children that their summer break is slipping away day by day.

sharon103 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:11:19

Keeper1

Is it too early to put the sprouts on?

Ha Ha! Keeperl That make me laugh.
Nothing C related been sent here.......yet.

Keeper1 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:06:50

Is it too early to put the sprouts on?

Paperbackwriter Thu 05-Aug-21 14:27:22

In order to avoid embarrassing confusion, I tend to refer to it as the X-word, not the C word!

TonysBride Thu 05-Aug-21 13:45:44

I've been having Christmas Advent Calendars coming up on my Amazon suggestions since March!!! I mean I love Christmas as much as anyone but seriously - March!!!!!
When my kids were young I used to start doing my Christmas shopping in July as Woollies always had a really good toy sale in July lol

Tattooedfidelma Thu 05-Aug-21 13:34:59

I received a catalogue from The Leprosy Mission, about a week ago. I like to start early so was quite excited and have already placed an order although many items are not available until October.