Gransnet forums

Chat

Can you “fall in love” with a voice?

(132 Posts)
MawBe Sat 07-Aug-21 22:26:39

Or at least go all gooey over one?
My mum used to love listening to the actor Alan Badel on the radio - his smooth tones absolutely “sent” her grin
I was dozing in bed last night to last weekend’s “Golden Age of Broadway” Prom on BBC Sounds - songs from all my favourite musicals but woke up to hear Clarke Peters (the actor) singing This Nearly Was Mine from South Pacific. What a beautiful rich, smooth deep voice he has, like a mug of Hôtel Chocolat cocoa, and I was well away!
If you are interested it’s about 38 minutes or so in, on last Saturdays Prom on BBC Sounds
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ypjn

CBBL Tue 10-Aug-21 18:39:11

Yes, I have loved a number of "voices" and , as has already been commented - found the owner of the voice was a disappointment, in person.
Yul Brynner was an early "love" for me, as was Richard Burton - and certainly Sean Connery and Alan Rickman, as well.
There are too many singers to name, whose voices I love to listen to!

Forestflame Tue 10-Aug-21 13:06:10

Richard Burton.
Sean Connery.
Hugh Quarshie (from Holby City).
And actor Steve Touissant.

MayBee70 Tue 10-Aug-21 12:02:28

Jillybird

Alan Rickman, Peter Ustinov and... Gilbert Harding! If you can't remember Gilbert Harding, you are younger than I am...

Apparently he was quite an unpleasant man, but how was I to know that? Apparently, at age 3, I used to tell my parents to 'Shush!' When he came on the radio.

No-one has mentioned Rene-John Paige from Bridgerton. Yes, I know he's younger than my sons, but he has a voice like treacle... Heaven

Rumoured to be the next James Bond I believe….

Hatcham Tue 10-Aug-21 11:34:20

Two words: Alan Rickman

Nvella Tue 10-Aug-21 11:10:37

Richard Burton for me too

JessK Tue 10-Aug-21 10:05:21

Cary Grant used to make me swoon with his lovely voice and now it's George Clooney, Antony Hopkins and Idris Elba.

Jillybird Tue 10-Aug-21 09:51:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shropshirelass Tue 10-Aug-21 08:31:39

When I was at work, my friend was on the switchboard, she used to go all unnecessary when my DH (then my boyfriend) phoned, he has a very deep voice!

MayBee70 Mon 09-Aug-21 23:42:58

MayBee70

Dee1012

Andrew Scott...sheer perfection!

youtu.be/kfjYhje2zrE

What about him reading The Tale of Peter Rabbit further down that utube page…..that’ll do for my bedtime story tonight!

And I’ve just remembered when Tom Hardy did Jackanory on Valentine’s Day….

MayBee70 Mon 09-Aug-21 23:42:05

Dee1012

Andrew Scott...sheer perfection!

youtu.be/kfjYhje2zrE

What about him reading The Tale of Peter Rabbit further down that utube page…..that’ll do for my bedtime story tonight!

Joesoap Mon 09-Aug-21 22:23:56

I was flying to the UK one time and the pilot had a lovely friendly voice sayin " Hi I am Simon and am flying you to Heathrow today I hope you enjoy your flight! it was a nice soothing voice, and when I saw him as we were getting off the plane I wasnt disappointed.Havent heard him since, maybe I should check who the pilot is next time.

Anniel Mon 09-Aug-21 20:50:16

Mawbee, thanks for the link! I loved every minute of those Broadway Hits!

Riggie Mon 09-Aug-21 20:43:20

BlueBelle

A long time ago I was volunteering for a women’s d v group and had to ring the landlord of the building
His voice was pure velvet and I fell in love, my deputy had to speak to him, again on the phone and she commented that she was weak kneed We had a giggle and then some weeks later we met him in person, he was a very nice man but quite old, very paunchy with a rather large bulbous reddish nose, and very married
We couldn’t help laughing after he had gone

Very similar. My first job after uni, used to speak to someone on the phone who sounded so sexy. Later I met him at his retirement party!!

Eloethan Mon 09-Aug-21 20:17:21

I love Roger Allam's voice (Fred Thursday in Endeavour) and Peter Egan's.

Calendargirl Mon 09-Aug-21 18:42:47

Andre Bocelli has a lovely singing voice. I once read that if God sang, that is what he would sound like.

Happysexagenarian Mon 09-Aug-21 18:33:20

I was 16 and had just started my first job. Every morning a man in another department would phone me with instructions for the day. His voice was heavenly - deep, rich, smooth with a hint of humour. I sometimes didn't take in what he was telling me, which of course meant I had to ask him to repeat it. I was absolutely smitten! I wondered what he looked like. I thought he'd probably be old, fat and bald. It was several weeks before I met him, and then I fell in love with the man too! He was tall, handsome, pleasant, interesting and an acceptable age - but best of all he liked me too and asked me out. We had a lot of good times together (still warmly remembered) but eventually went our separate ways, though we remained friends for many years. I can still hear that heart-melting voice when I think of him.

Years later when I met my husband he also had (still has) a lovely voice that I never tire of hearing even when he's repeating something he's told me countless times before!

tictacnana Mon 09-Aug-21 18:03:47

In the early 70s , the man who reminded people to turn their telly off from Granada Television had a lovely voice. His first name was Charles. My Mum and I would reply to his “ If you’re still there , don’t forget to turn off your set. Good night and sleep well.”

Dancinggran Mon 09-Aug-21 17:46:45

Yes, fell in love with a voice on the phone, 6 weeks of conversations before we met, he moved in 6 months later, we had 16 happy years together before he passed away suddenly and this year would have celebrated our Silver Wedding Anniversary.

Elvis58 Mon 09-Aug-21 17:40:03

Alan Rickman lush.

Brocky Mon 09-Aug-21 16:49:44

The three tenors, and Richard Burton. Four voices to listen to, they can go on and on and on.

seadragon Mon 09-Aug-21 16:19:32

Chestnut

I loved Scott Walker's voice even as a teenager.

Me too,Chestnut; me too.....

Bluecat Mon 09-Aug-21 16:01:47

Benedict, not Be edict. Stupid predictive text!

Bluecat Mon 09-Aug-21 16:00:22

Be edict Cumberbatch has the most gorgeous, silky voice. (Very handsome too, in my opinion! ) Listening to him read "Ode To A Nightingale" sends shivers down my spine.

Supergran1946 Mon 09-Aug-21 15:50:09

Richard Burton’s voice was the one for me

MaggsMcG Mon 09-Aug-21 15:36:20

Alan Rickman for me too but mostly I just love listening to David Tennants natural accent I could listen to it for years.