Gransnet forums

Chat

Gransnet Day of Direct Action! ✊

(203 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 09:21:14

Hello all!

Further to the rather pointless ‘Hello from GNHQ’ thread, in which we suggested and asked for several things, but nothing was actually addressed.

One particular concern was Iam64’s continuing inability to post.

I wondered aloud on the aforementioned thread whether we should have a ‘Day of Direct Action’, and all email the management about this
([email protected])

What do you all think?
Any ideas, suggestions, anything?
Thank you smile

JackyB Sun 05-Sep-21 14:17:51

I'm in too. They obviously don't read any of the threads on their site (what do they do all day?) so they'll definitely be surprised.

Jaxjacky Sun 05-Sep-21 14:21:01

I too miss EV, whilst not aware of her interaction with another poster I do feel clarification of the justification for such a ban would be very welcome. And a better, clearer list of potential transgressions and penalties.
Similarly, I’m aware Iam64 has technical issues, she’s also much missed, I don’t know the ins and outs of those issues.
I think banning people permanently is overly harsh, many are lonely, sad, seeking help and vulnerable. For most of us, particularly in the last 18 months or so, GN has been a source of warmth, good chats and a welcome outlet for our frustrations. Apart from the odd spats and umbrage it’s a gentle place.

SueDonim Sun 05-Sep-21 14:25:16

Charleygirl5

Ah but SueDonim you are not as rude and nasty and I am!!!!!

Goodness, I’m impressed, Charliegirl! grin There are one or two people in my real life that could do with someone being rude and nasty to them - can you give me lessons, please? wink

Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Sep-21 14:41:21

SueDonim I would find it difficult because I am known for my politeness and caring attitude!

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 14:44:46

Hope no one minds, can’t find any ‘missing posters’ thread, has Ellianne been seen recently?

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 14:45:23

Perhaps we could ask for a bit more clarity?
When we ever do that we get that blessed ‘Here’s a link to our talk guidelines’ message angryenvy

Grandmajean Sun 05-Sep-21 14:46:11

Fanny could you give us a rough idea of what you are planning to post ? I don't mean so that we can copy you and send identical posts but , as a Gransnetter of just a few months, I am not sure of the rules . If it is only about the inability of one poster who is unable to post and simply can't do so I can handle that. Anything else and I'm pretty clueless.

Urmstongran Sun 05-Sep-21 14:53:16

I miss EV on the GM thread. A good few months back I suggested she buy extra crumpets and freeze them as she enjoys them for breakfast and was often running out (Covid restricted her access to shops at times for various reasons). She was delighted as she hadn’t realised they could be frozen!

I tried p.m’ing her last week but got the ‘no can do’ message - which in itself is annoying! You get to set up a message only for it to fail sending. Surely it would be possible to get that message right at the start, when putting a banned poster’s name into the p.m. box? Grr.

I hadn’t regaled she’d been banned to be honest. I just miss her posts. She’s a nice lady in my opinion, northern lass, down to earth and she makes me giggle. No airs or graces. Speaks as she finds (and never rudely from what I see either).

It’s a mystery.

I think posters only get banned if someone (one of us) reports them. Maybe the poster who reported her could contact GNHQ and request her reinstatement? That would hold more sway perhaps.

She is a lady in her 80’s, she lives alone and GN was an integral part of her day. She had family troubles and was keeping strong for them all as the matriarch of the family.

I sincerely hope to see her back with us if at all possible.

Ooh, I might cut & paste this message and join the action group tomorrow!

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 15:01:39

Hello Jean (this post isn’t all just to you btw smile)
Can you find the ‘Hello from GNHQ’ thread?
I’d do a link but I don’t know how to do itblush
If you read that you will get the gist why some of us are so frustrated.

As Smileless has said, it’s prompted by the plight of Iam64

If there is anything that is personally bothering you about GN then mention it.

I know that many will be mentioning banned posters, but that’s up to the individual.

What I’ll be asking for really is clarity and trust.
I’m not even sure what I’ll be saying myself!

But if I could please suggest something, please don’t muddy the waters with things like ‘like’ and ‘edit buttons’.
This is more about customer relations.
I hope that this makes sense!

If anyone else has ideas, please speak up - it not all about me at all!
Thank you flowers

Galaxy Sun 05-Sep-21 15:05:18

Having been through this on MN, well not the tech issues but the banning stuff, I would suggest that people dont slag off the moderators, GN have a duty of care to their staff so they wont let people just have a go at them.

Lillie Sun 05-Sep-21 15:06:23

LauraNorder

Hope no one minds, can’t find any ‘missing posters’ thread, has Ellianne been seen recently?

pm sent about ellianne

Nannagarra Sun 05-Sep-21 15:07:10

I too wondered if EV had been banned and, hoping she was still reading, hinted in a post that her daughter could join and update us on her mother’s situation. Nothing happened. I do hope EV is okay.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Sep-21 15:14:05

Lauraorder it’s not Ellieanne its EllanVannin who appears to have been banned for what reason no one seems to know
And it is concerning, because no one should have that hanging over their heads unless they are very very badly disruptive, impolite, racist, homophobic etc Most of the time it should be completely left to us to sort out own battles out which can be more times than not done with a few words
We are not children, many on here will have had careers far exceeding perhaps the admins

nadateturbe Sun 05-Sep-21 15:14:49

I don't know the details of the protest. I don't join in often enough to know what the problems are. But I will lend my support if someone tells me what to say.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 15:18:05

Excellent point Galaxy

Galaxy Sun 05-Sep-21 15:20:51

Not a chance of that happening though fanny as has just been proved.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 15:20:53

This is starting to make me think of The People’s Front of Judea meetings in The Life of Brian!
(Just don’t mention Stan / Lorettawink)

JaneJudge Sun 05-Sep-21 15:21:45

Seems ridiculous to ban grown women who should be able to take responsibility for their own posts.

FannyCornforth Sun 05-Sep-21 15:24:19

Further to what Galaxy said, they do appear to have staffing issues, so yes, we need to be mindful that things at Mumsnet Towers probably aren’t all wine and roses

Galaxy Sun 05-Sep-21 15:27:25

But how do you take responsibility on the internet. You cant really. If I say something racist or libellous I can say I take responsibility but its GN who have to take the flak and therefore the responsibility. I often feel as if I am a plant from GNHQ on these threadsgrin

BlueBelle Sun 05-Sep-21 15:30:19

Nadateturbe a regular poster under the name of Iam64 has been unable to post for weeks/ months We are told it’s a ‘technical fault’ that was promised to be rectified
There are also issues about regulars decent posters being given life time bans because someone has reported them for whatever? we believe we should be able to sort our own problems out unless really stuck and even then a life time bans unless extremely serious is just nonsense So those are the two main groans

LauraNorder Sun 05-Sep-21 15:40:13

Thank you BlueBelle. I am a supporter of EV as in EllanVannin on the good morning thread, a wonderful, colourful poster and champion of her family in great difficulty.
My enquiry was an aside as I wondered where Ellianne was but I’ve now been reassured that all is well with her.
Thanks again BlueBelle for trying to help. wine cheers

BlueBelle Sun 05-Sep-21 15:44:30

It has been said all along Galaxy if it’s racist, homophobic or an obvious troll of course GN must deal with it but silly spates between adults need to be sorted by the said adults
If someone offends me intentionally or unintentionally I would just call them out and hopefully get an apology and carry on

Pittcity Sun 05-Sep-21 15:44:44

Is anyone willing to write a template email for us to send?
I am another who is happy to support but is not sure what point we are trying to get across.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Sep-21 15:45:36

Spat not spates