Gransnet forums

Chat

Dogs on beds

(113 Posts)
Neen Mon 20-Sep-21 22:22:16

I know I shouldn't have when i got her last year but I did and now she's a nearly 18 month old who has more bed than me. She has her three walks a day and I sometimes hire the freedom field so she has of leash time. I talk to her and we play in the garden. She gives me her paw if she wants a treat and barks at the hoover still. She's a strong girlie but trys to sit on my lap or acooss me and loves soft toy play time and I love her.
My friend said she shouldn't be in the bed and I'm too close to her and she should be a dog, not spoken to like a human.
I'm not the only one surely ?

Neen Tue 21-Sep-21 08:17:39

MayBeRaw what a lovely snuggly photo and thank you everyone

Hellogirl1 Tue 21-Sep-21 16:15:58

I don`t have a dog, but my cats have always been allowed on the bed if they so wished. I love the feeling that my company is wanted/

lemongrove Tue 21-Sep-21 19:17:57

Never had pets on the bed, but I would do ( possibly) if I lived alone.
In any case, it’s your life and your pet, so do as you like and take no notice if others in your life comment on it.
On the bed and in the bed are two different things.

Witzend Tue 21-Sep-21 19:28:07

Our last dog always slept on our bed during the 14 years that we had her. Extra warmth in winter!
It did none of us any harm - all this fussing about ‘hygiene’ strikes me as really OTT.

Our previous dog slept on the floor beside my side of the bed - his choice - but as soon as you woke up in the morning he’d be up there with you. Even if you’d barely even opened your eyes, he knew.

Cherylrov Tue 21-Sep-21 19:39:02

Our dog loves to sleep on the landing which is a sun trap from the window daytime and stays warm at night. He does nudge our bedroom door though if he thinks we are sleeping in too late.

foxie48 Tue 21-Sep-21 19:43:54

Just do what you want, it's no-one else's business. I don't have my dog upstairs because I'm a light sleeper, we'd probably keep waking each other up and actually he quite likes his own space. That said, my dog is an important member of my family and I love to have him cuddled on my lap!

Nonogran Tue 21-Sep-21 19:46:24

I worked with a woman whose dog slept on her bed. The lady always smelled doggy & I disliked working physically close to her because at times it was overpowering.
We love dogs, we have a dog. Our dog sleeps in her own bed. End of.

grannylyn65 Tue 21-Sep-21 22:20:57

What does End of mean ?

Callistemon Tue 21-Sep-21 23:09:30

Well, not End of the Bed, obviously.

(Sorry, couldn't resist ?)

twiglet77 Tue 21-Sep-21 23:18:59

Each to their own, my dog and cats are welcome on my bed, but it really isn't anyone else's business.

Eloethan Tue 21-Sep-21 23:47:15

I think it should be entirely your choice. It's got nothing to do with your friend.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a dog on the bed (but not in the bed - as I have seen in some YouTube clips).

I do think owners have to be a little careful of over-cossetting their dogs though because I think it can make the dog possessive and sometimes over-protective of their owner. I think I read somewhere, or heard on TV, that owners of small dogs can sometimes get in the habit of picking them up a lot. The dog interprets this as they are guarding their owner and can develop over-protective behaviour - growling, snapping, etc.

Eloethan Tue 21-Sep-21 23:49:06

I miss our dog very much.

CafeAuLait Wed 22-Sep-21 00:07:48

It's not necessary to smell 'doggy'. The dog smell was one reason I didn't want a dog but now that I have one, I've realised it's not necessary with good hygiene and just keeping the dogs clean and bathed.

She777 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:55:50

My dog passed away last Tuesday. She slept on or bed every night, she was my confidante, I auditioned for X Factor to her and she told me not to bother, she was my whole world. I think each to their own if you want to have your pet as a member of the family you should and don’t let anyone else tell you how to live your life.

greenlady102 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:56:37

your dog, your bed, your choice. I have had dogs who were co sleepers and dogs who just wouldn't.

GraceQuirrel Wed 22-Sep-21 11:57:05

You do what you want, she is your dog and makes you happy.

Lewie Wed 22-Sep-21 11:57:08

Our dogs have always slept in their own beds - when you have several of medium size there is no other option! I too dislike that 'doggy' smell which I mainly associate with longer haired breeds, but our dog quilts and blankets are changed twice per week. We wash them in a Moorland Rider pet wash bag which retains all the hair! grin

greenlady102 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:59:09

Eloethan

I think it should be entirely your choice. It's got nothing to do with your friend.

Personally, I wouldn't mind a dog on the bed (but not in the bed - as I have seen in some YouTube clips).

I do think owners have to be a little careful of over-cossetting their dogs though because I think it can make the dog possessive and sometimes over-protective of their owner. I think I read somewhere, or heard on TV, that owners of small dogs can sometimes get in the habit of picking them up a lot. The dog interprets this as they are guarding their owner and can develop over-protective behaviour - growling, snapping, etc.

its usually caused by stress if they are picked up when they don't want to be...and the owner thinks its cute and encourages it, which further stresses the dog.

greenlady102 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:00:20

grannylyn65

What does End of mean ?

its used by people who want to shut down a discussion. It rarely works and I think its a bit rude

Lewie Wed 22-Sep-21 12:01:22

She777 so sorry to read your sad news. It's a special kind of pain. Just remember the wonderful memories your best friend left you with. flowers

sodapop Wed 22-Sep-21 12:01:55

Sorry to hear you had lost your dog She777 they are such a big part of our lives, you will have so many lovely memories I'm sure thanks

Moggycuddler Wed 22-Sep-21 12:04:40

I have no dogs but 4 cats. They all lie on the bed during the day but at night they are taken out of the bedroom and go to their own cosy beds on the landing outside the bedroom door. They would disturb us too much overnight, young cats who charge around and wrestle! But I see nothing wrong with pets on the bed if it suits.

Iam64 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:08:27

My dogs have always slept in the kitchen or utility. They’re fed there and contained by a child safety gate if toddlers are around. This is necessary because huge 11 month old lab would knock one over from love not aggression.
I don’t choose to sleep with. My dogs but it’s personal choice.

Sheila11 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:09:25

This one sleeps on my bed. ?

Sheila11 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:10:08

So does this one - and she likes being on my subbed too!