Gransnet forums

Chat

Edinburgh

(86 Posts)
Lucca Tue 21-Sep-21 06:34:23

Having a couple of days stay in Edinburgh. I haven’t been for about 40 years!
Any recommendations for “must see, must do “ ?

Humbertbear Tue 21-Sep-21 06:52:29

Take the tourist bus and sit on the top deck.

Nell8 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:18:25

If it's rainy, head for the Scottish National Portrait Gallery. Apart from the paintings the interior is beautiful and the café is airy and inviting.
If you have the energy, climb Calton Hill for a panoramic view.
Have a great time. I wish I was going.

tanith Tue 21-Sep-21 07:35:25

We did a nighttime walk around the city, really enjoyed it, part of it was in the underground tunnels. A very interesting talk and walk seeing a different side of the city.

Mattsmum2 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:40:56

We did a ghost walk around the city on Halloween night, was great fun. Agree with the open top bus tour, gets around. Also a trip to see the Royal Yacht Britannia at Leith. It’s moored at a shopping centre, think we took a bus there. When I went the tram system was just being built, so you may have more options. Have fun x

wildswan16 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:43:26

If you have time Britannia is always a worth a visit. On a nice day the Botanics are lovely (no booking required).

I agree with humbertbear that the tourist bus is a great way to see the city and you can stop off places on the way.

Whatdayisit Tue 21-Sep-21 07:49:10

My youngest is going tomorrow Lucca and for her birthday on Thursday they are going to the Chuahauau Cafe! I'm not sure whether I heard correctly but there might be 7 of the little dogs in the cafe. Not sure how you would feel about that one!????

They are also going to the Scottish National Portrait Gallery and te Botanics as previously mentioned.
Hope you havea fab break.

Alegrias1 Tue 21-Sep-21 07:55:06

Nobody's mentioned the Castle! Followed by a walk down the Royal Mile.

Another vote here for the National Portrait Gallery. Also the National Museum of Scotland.

Me, I'd give the Britannia a miss. smile

Grammaretto Tue 21-Sep-21 08:43:38

I was in Edinburgh yesterday and I hope this isn't relevant but there was a bomb scare and Princes st was closed off for several hours. It was a public holiday so loads of children. I got talking to a family on the bus. The 8yr old child said they had been to the zoo but she hadn't liked it much. No snow leopards! but there are now 2 giraffes and the pandas of course.
A tourist bus is a good idea, from Waverley Bridge and you can get on and off to save a lot of walking.
The Gallery of Modern art also has a nice cafe with an outside garden.
Did someone mention the Botanics?
The great thing is that the museums and galleries are free!
The castle is not and to do it justice you would need to devote a few hours but a walk from there down the Royal Mile is a must..
Leith walk is disrupted by tram works so getting to Britannia could be tricky.
www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/

Have a lovely time. There is a LOT to see.

Kim19 Tue 21-Sep-21 16:41:59

Consider Dynamic Earth? Just round the corner from Holyrood Palace and the Parliament building (which I would also recommend entering)

baubles Tue 21-Sep-21 18:11:24

If you walk down the Royal Mile from the castle to Holyrood Palace and find yourself in need of a cup of tea there’s a nice cafe in the courtyard so no need to pay for entry to the Palace unless you want to see it. I’m there so often I’ve got a loyalty card grin. Leave by the garden exit and take a wander into Holyrood Park. The tourist bus stops there I’m sure.

Have a lovely time.

MayBee70 Tue 21-Sep-21 18:24:49

Alegrias1

Another vote here for the National Portrait Gallery. Also the National Museum of Scotland.

I second the museum. One of the most amazing museums I’ve ever been to and I’ve been to lots. Quite difficult to find initially, though, although I’ve worked out where it is now. However it will take up a whole day of a two day visit: there’s so much to see! I also have to make a pilgrimage to Greyfriars Bobbies statue and the Kirk yard and cry every time I get there! And I went to the modern art gallery last time I was there and loved it. I think there’s a shuttle bus that takes you to all the different art galleries. However, if you’re only there for a couple of days I guess it’s best to do the bus and get a feel for the place. I’ve yet to see the sea at Edinburgh and forget it’s actually on the coast. The train ride from Berwick to Edinburgh is wonderful, too. And Edinburgh Zoo.

Lucca Tue 21-Sep-21 18:26:04

Done the tourist bus thing ! Nipped into the national Gallery (and liked the Raeburn paintings.) Doing the other galleries tomorrow. Booked dinner in a French restaurant in Grassmarket……

Had honestly forgotten what beautiful city it is.

Lucca Tue 21-Sep-21 18:27:20

MayBee70

Alegrias1

I second the museum. One of the most amazing museums I’ve ever been to and I’ve been to lots. Quite difficult to find initially, though, although I’ve worked out where it is now. However it will take up a whole day of a two day visit: there’s so much to see! I also have to make a pilgrimage to Greyfriars Bobbies statue and the Kirk yard and cry every time I get there! And I went to the modern art gallery last time I was there and loved it. I think there’s a shuttle bus that takes you to all the different art galleries. However, if you’re only there for a couple of days I guess it’s best to do the bus and get a feel for the place. I’ve yet to see the sea at Edinburgh and forget it’s actually on the coast. The train ride from Berwick to Edinburgh is wonderful, too. And Edinburgh Zoo.

I lived in Portobello for a few years many moons ago.

Grannyben Tue 21-Sep-21 20:58:28

Don't forget to stop by Greyfriers Bobby. I do miss Edinburgh

Blondiescot Tue 21-Sep-21 21:08:39

Yes, stop by Greyfriars Bobby, but remember 'nae touching the boaby'! So much to see and do in Edinburgh that it's hard to pack it all into just a couple of days. If you like whisky, the new Johnnie Walker Experience at the west end of Princes Street (used to be Frasers department store) might well be worth a stop.

Alegrias1 Tue 21-Sep-21 21:11:03

Oh, the new St James's centre! Very controversial. ?

ELLAMAR Wed 22-Sep-21 11:49:00

The covenant jail tour with greyfriars bobby mention, also the underground tours. We checked out the castle very friendly city would love to go back sometime.

marq66 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:52:10

A further recommendation for Dynamic Earth. We attended a wedding there and went back the next day. Really engaged our inner child and loved it. The Botanical gardens are lovely particularly the Queen Mum's garden. If you feel energetic Arthur's seat is worth the climb. We also enjoy mouching about - its lovely city to walk about and enjoy the buzz.

Llamedos13 Wed 22-Sep-21 11:52:20

Ooohh this thread is making me wish I was there. I used to go there regularly to visit my sister until covid thwarted travel plans across the Atlantic. ?for next year.Love all the places recommended, it’s a wonderful city.

dogsmother Wed 22-Sep-21 11:56:02

Britannia and the underground ghost vault walks.
In no particular order.
I’d also recommend the small pubs with live music.

Dorado Wed 22-Sep-21 12:03:21

Dynamic Earth!

Lindylou23 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:19:11

Mary King Street on the Royal Mike streets under ground, also the Dungeon is very good, a good laugh

grandtanteJE65 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:36:41

If the Royal Family are not in residence, which they usually are in July, you can visit Holyrood House as well as the Castle.

Stephania1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:48:29

There are medical museums with many fascinating exhibits. Also the zoo is good for a day out. There is a daily bus pass which is cheaper than the tourist bus and you can go everywhere.