Gransnet forums

Chat

Edinburgh

(87 Posts)
Lucca Tue 21-Sep-21 06:34:23

Having a couple of days stay in Edinburgh. I haven’t been for about 40 years!
Any recommendations for “must see, must do “ ?

Bluecat Wed 22-Sep-21 13:01:10

We go to Edinburgh every year for a few days. It's a lovely city.

I would recommend the National Museum of Scotland, the Writers Museum (very small, commemorates Robbie Burns, Walter Scott and R L Stevenson, if I remember rightly), Dynamic Earth, Holyrood Park and Arthur's Seat, and a tour of Mary King's Close. My family have done a couple of the walking tours, the ghost ones, and said they were brilliant. I haven't done them because I have bad arthritis and wouldn't be able to keep up. As an Ian Rankin fan, I think that the Rebus tour would be good, but again I think that you need to be able to walk at a reasonable pace.

My friend toured the Britannia and said it was well worth the money but it has never appealed to me.

The Botanical Gardens are very good, if the weather is kind to you.

helgawills Wed 22-Sep-21 13:12:59

There are escape rooms at the old Vet School, worth a try

Tillymint21 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:22:47

As someone who lives here I can recommend going to either Stockbridge in the New Town or Bruntsfield/Morningside near the Meadows for lovely browsing/shopping and cafes/eateries. Both walkable from the centre or a single fare flat fee one way of £1.80 on a lothian bus from princes street (29 or 24 to Stockbridge and 11 or 16 to Bruntsfield/morningside). Buses here are great and you can get anywhere very easily.

Kate51 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:38:30

Camera obscura is also worth a visit

spyder08 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:38:59

Definitely visit Mary Kings Close. Last time I was there you had to book so might be worth checking.
Also Greyfriars Bobby and the surrounding area is very nice.

Gabrielle56 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:40:11

Botanical gardens/R.Y.Brittania (really good)/ Mary king close(underground nether world from days of old dead good!)/ Castle and armoury museum/ Scottish crown Jewels in castle / just have a super time, it's beautiful!

Sing19 Wed 22-Sep-21 13:50:36

Mary King's Close is facinating, historical and creepy. Part of the city was covered over during the plague, it's like a hidden underground city. Make sure you book.

Leith is lovely for a wander.

HillyN Wed 22-Sep-21 13:57:56

Get on the 'hop on and off' tourist bus. Goes to the Botanic Gardens (we didn't alight as it was raining heavily) and then R.Y.Britannia, which is definitely worth a visit. Stop again at Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament building. We went in to admire the architecture and ended up staying longer than planned listening to a debate.
We had a lovely full Scottish breakfast in the restaurant on the top floor of Debenhams with an amazing view of the castle. I suppose it must be closed now. sad

Oofy Wed 22-Sep-21 14:02:55

Lived in Edinburgh for a couple of years and never did visit the Castle.
I’d add to recommendation for the Botanics (National Botanic Gardens), the Mary King Close, and mooching/browsing. I love Stockbridge, George Street and the side streets (used to love sitting on my own in Henderson’s veggie restaurant, wonder if it’s still there), walk up past the Galleries to Victoria Bow and Cowgate. And found Britannia most interesting, too

usuallyright Wed 22-Sep-21 14:22:15

Recommendations for Edinboro. It is in Scotland, SNP, so the best suggestion is Leave.

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:24:45

Recommendations for Edinboro.

Start by getting its name right. hmm

Always endears you to the natives.

Blondiescot Wed 22-Sep-21 14:25:45

usuallyright - but on this occasion, dead wrong. I smell troll...

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 14:28:51

Let's not derail this lovely thread smile.

The view from the Castle Esplanade on a clear day is fab, hope you get to see that Lucca

4allweknow Wed 22-Sep-21 14:35:16

Mary King's Close is definitely worth a visit. On/off bus tour gives a general view of the city. Royal Observatory on Calton Hill is good as is the National and Scottish museum. If you can manage the climb a trip to the Castle is worthwhile, 1 pm firing of the cannon is quite ceremonial. Hope weather favours you and you enjoy.

Grandmajean Wed 22-Sep-21 14:37:44

Mary King's Close is a must ! First time we visited it was included in a History walk. Then Billy Connolly did a programme about it and , hey presto , it was an attraction all on its own . Still good, though , but you need to book.

LucyW Wed 22-Sep-21 14:49:27

I am planning a couple of days in Edinburgh shortly, first solo holiday since being widowed. Used to have a flat there and can highly recommend Mary King's Close. The museum of childhood also worth a visit to view all the toys and games. I am hoping to visit the Surgeons' Halls when I go up next month - rather gory but I hear it is fascinating. I am a bit apprehensive about eating out alone so if anyone can suggest somewhere nice (near the old town, if possible) I would really appreciate it.

Sadgrandma Wed 22-Sep-21 15:06:18

The camera obscura is fun

www.camera-obscura.co.uk/

Tillymint21 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:24:46

I forgot to mention in my previous post that, especially if it’s mild and sunny, the Three Bridges boat trip from South Queensferry is lovely. It’s 90 minutes long and you go along the Firth of Forth and under the Forth Road bridge, the Forth rail bridge and newQueensferry Crossing , all of which are stunning. You can get off at Inchcolm Island if you want to (or not) and the number 43 bus takes about half an hour to get down there from princes street. Eat fish and chips on the shore afterwards.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:02:45

I can’t wait to pluck up the courage to travel up to Edinburgh again. Perhaps when I’ve had my booster in November. So many places I’ve yet to visit.

MayBee70 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:04:30

LucyW

I am planning a couple of days in Edinburgh shortly, first solo holiday since being widowed. Used to have a flat there and can highly recommend Mary King's Close. The museum of childhood also worth a visit to view all the toys and games. I am hoping to visit the Surgeons' Halls when I go up next month - rather gory but I hear it is fascinating. I am a bit apprehensive about eating out alone so if anyone can suggest somewhere nice (near the old town, if possible) I would really appreciate it.

I wish I was around at that time as I would have loved to visit the Surgeons Hall with you! Sounds like my sort of thing!

hilz Wed 22-Sep-21 16:56:53

Wonderful city, I would book a walking tour, visit Holyrood, stroke Greyfriars Bobby's statue, visit a pub with live music in the evening.Maybe the castle, go to the coast. Listen to the pipers, people watch but most of all have a great time and no peeping under any kilts !

Minibookworm Wed 22-Sep-21 17:00:56

Another vote here for Royal Yacht Britannia. Very well done and enjoyed by al three generations of our family when we visited this summer.

WoodLane7 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:11:05

Royal Yacht Britannia is well worth a visit

Alegrias1 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:19:51

Please, do not stroke Bobby ? It's not good for him!

H1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 18:52:49

The Whisky Tour
Edinburgh Dungeon
Edinburgh museum - this is free entry
The castle
The Royal Yaght Brittania