Gransnet forums

Chat

Household things I’m glad I bought

(93 Posts)
grannyactivist Sat 25-Sep-21 14:20:34

Having seen and commented on the thread where people are commenting on things they regret buying I couldn’t resist commenting on the things I’m glad I bought.

Mandolin (in use almost every day)
Bread maker (ditto)
Yoghurt maker (weekly)
Electric waffle maker (I have two for when family visit)
Stick blender
Zester
Ginger grater (makes the job so much easier)
Stand mixer
Steam mop
Carpet washer
Dishwasher (how did I manage without for so long?)
Popcorn maker (not just for the children)
Maslin pan, jam funnel and thermometer

I realise there are few things that I’ve bought and have regretted. ?

mokryna Sun 26-Sep-21 00:43:10

It all depends whether the family is visiting as the normal kitchen devices are all redundant if they are not here.
When I am by myself I daily use in winter an electric under blanket and an electric throw.
I wouldn’t be without, since covid, my ipad, iPhone, laptop, the new radio, electric and tv.

BigBertha1 Sun 26-Sep-21 06:30:38

Power Buggy golf trolley
Panasonic hairdryer
Pastry mat
Kitchen Aid food mixer

Pammie1 Sun 26-Sep-21 06:57:15

iRobot Roomba vacuum cleaner. Expensive bit of kit but couldn’t be without it now.
Karcher steam cleaner - I’ve had a few duds, but this is the bees knees.

nanna8 Sun 26-Sep-21 07:04:35

I just got this mop thing from Aldis that you fill with soapy water and then press a trigger to squirt and clean your wooden floors. Very pleased with it and it was very cheap. Dishwasher and microwave are good and I also like my lint remover that ‘shaves’ pills off jumpers.

harrigran Sun 26-Sep-21 08:14:22

The one thing I find invaluable is the gadget for getting lids off jars, I do not have the strength in my wrist to loosen tight lids.

Franbern Sun 26-Sep-21 09:54:50

Admit to loving my Tv. Never feel alone with that
Humax - which records what I want to watch, to be able to view when I want to watch them.
Washing machine, how on earth did women manage before them?
Combi-microwave. I no longer have a normal oven, and can do everything in this lovely machine, which takes up so much less room in my kitchen and so much less leccie to use.
Mobility scooter - which enables me to get around to all my social groups, wander round the shops, go along the promenade, etc. etc. Without this I would be virtually house-bound. With it , I am out and about most days.
Riser-Recliner Chair - giving me totally comfort every day.
Adjustable bed - bought this as a pressie to myself for my 70th birthday - ten years on I have never regretted what I spent on it.
Air-ram GTech cordless upright and handheld vacuums. Everything I ever wanted and need in vacuum cleaner.
Those little washable covers to put over bowls, etc and pr
event use of throwaway clingfilm.
Hot water dispenser - can have mug of tea, etc without having faff of waiting for kettle to boil.
My easy to use floor cleaner. Touch on trigger to spray and then wipe over floor, The easily exchanged mop parts just goes into washing machine ready for re-use.
Fridge - where would we be these days without that?? Mind you - only the self-defrosting ones.

Witzend Sun 26-Sep-21 10:04:07

I’m not generally into gadgets, but my little citrus zester was a brilliant buy at £7 - for some reason I hadn’t realised such a thing existed.

I’m especially glad of it at this time of year - no more grating orange and lemon zest for puds and mincemeat with the box grater, not to mention a big lemon meringue pie I made last week.

Bigger items, combi microwave, but we’ve had it for decades. Microwave and oven together make 2 big jacket potatoes with crispy skins in 14 minutes.

Dishwasher, had one for decades, would never be without it.

Carpet shampooer, don’t use it often enough but v glad of it when I do.

Witzend Sun 26-Sep-21 14:07:17

Forgot the good old-fashioned Ewbank carpet sweeper!

I didn’t buy it - got it from a friend who was going to chuck it.
Brilliant for getting bits off the carpet without the faff of getting the vacuum cleaner out.,

Amberone Sun 26-Sep-21 14:34:55

Third is the cordless hedge trimmer, which saves hours and is very satisfying to use.

Casdon which one do you have please? Would really like to have one.

Amberone Sun 26-Sep-21 14:39:11

Cherrytree59 Ours is a Ryobi - our lawns aren't that big and I can cut the front in 5 minutes, wheel it out the back and do that one in 15 minutes. We already had the batteries as my sanders are Ryobi, plus we got a free strimmer with it at the time from Homebase, so it was relatively cheap.

Casdon Sun 26-Sep-21 14:48:03

Amberone mine is a Bosch Easyhedgecut, it lasts 4 hours, I use it on shrubs as well.

JaneJudge Sun 26-Sep-21 14:57:48

I love my slow cooker, especially when everyone has moved back home as I can just make a vat of food in it and people can help themselves as and when they want to.

I love my dishwasher for obvious reasons

Kaggi60 Mon 27-Sep-21 11:46:26

Front Loader washing machine instead of my twin tub and spinner that used to dance all over the room. The new best things is a gadget that open jars and bottles and other one for tin puller.

polnan Mon 27-Sep-21 11:57:18

I thought the first item. Mandolin was a musical instrument. I envied you that you use it a lot!

Theoddbird Mon 27-Sep-21 11:59:10

I am not one for kitchen gadgets. I don't have a microwave. I recently bought an air fryer as I was having problems getting calor gas for my cooker and was not going to light the multifuel burner in the warm weather...often cook in the coals in winter. I have a little used Vitamix...does make wonderful soup in the Winter though. I of course have a smart phone and laptop. Never used my tablet.

Alioop Mon 27-Sep-21 12:02:06

Air fryer( no need to keep using oven)
Slow cooker
Soup maker
A sun awning over my patio doors in my kitchen so I don't need to keep the blinds closed all day when it's sunny just in case it fades my sofa and floor.
Best one though is an electric door on my integral garage so I can bring the dog straight into it after her walk to get her dried to save her shaking mud over hallway when I had to come in the front door. My friends also have started coming in that way too and I should really put a doorbell there too as the one at the front door is hardly ever used.

mrswoo Mon 27-Sep-21 12:04:48

My most recent best buy is a "rose" for the end of the garden hose pipe. It has lots of different settings e.g Mist, Jet, Flat, Spray and so on. It was under a fiver from Asda. Its brilliant and I love it.

Shelbel Mon 27-Sep-21 12:08:01

Bose Bluetooth speaker. I take it all over the house and garden with me whilst listening to Internet radio, podcasts and audio books. Lovely rich sound and I wouldn't be without it.

Bijou Mon 27-Sep-21 12:13:42

Microwave
Bread maker.
Minioven
Electric can opener
Jar opener
Water filter
Trolley to transfer stuff from room to room as well as giving me support.

GardenofEngland Mon 27-Sep-21 12:19:56

I love my zyliss even take it on holidaygrin also my ninja grill and airfryer hardly ever use my cooker and oven now. And my slow cooker...and a pull along shopping trolley. I can walk 4 miles to the shop and back with a cool bag inside it. A great workout!

Annanan Mon 27-Sep-21 12:22:25

No contest….my Quaker boiling water tap. So convinced it is wonderful that I bought one each for my daughters. They love them too.

EkwaNimitee Mon 27-Sep-21 12:26:20

My Remoska table top oven. Used most days and only 500 watts and so easy to clean unlike the main ovens.
A stick blender, citrus zester and handheld mixer were also good kitchen buys.
A Vacu-vin stopper for preserving an unfinished bottle of wine in good condition for next day

pce612 Mon 27-Sep-21 12:27:50

Best buys:
Masha from Lakeland - smoothest non gloopy mash, best buy ever.
Ninja Tendercrisp - perfect crispy bacon, steaks and burgers, no smoke when grilling.
Kuhn Rikon tin opener - no sharp edges (de-bonds the lid) and the blade never touches the food. Totally hygienic.
Pressure cooker.
Bamix stick blender.
Ninja coffee maker.

Why did I......
Popcorn maker.
George Foreman grill. So much smoke and awful to clean.
Laser hair remover.

chrissyh Mon 27-Sep-21 12:36:03

An Actify
Tool that helps me open ring-pull cans, open jars and the little plastic bit that seals the top of a milk carton.

MaggsMcG Mon 27-Sep-21 12:37:21

Air Fryer so glad I bought it. Its so much easier than lighting the big oven just for one person.