Gransnet forums

Chat

I have never been drunk in my life, is this unusual?

(138 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 25-Sep-21 16:14:01

Just a random question for a Saturday.

Have you ever had one too many? grin

Kate1949 Sat 25-Sep-21 17:32:43

Jane grin I love your honesty!

Visgir1 Sat 25-Sep-21 17:38:55

JaneJudge

yes I am dreadful pisshead on occasion

So am I....

Cabbie21 Sat 25-Sep-21 17:40:58

I am not much of a drinker. I once got a little bit tipsy but that was years ago. I would hate not to be in control of myself. Red wine sends me to sleep. However I am looking forward to a glass of chilled white this evening.

Amberone Sat 25-Sep-21 18:22:29

More often than I care to remember when I was much younger (late teens/early twenties). Stopped drinking totally when I was 25, but over the last ten years or so have a glass of wine now and again. To be honest really don't like most alcohol except in food.

Found a bottle of Glenmorangie single malt whisky in the cupboard the other day and put some in the Chicken a la King. Can't remember where it came from, or how long we've had it, we would never have bought it - OH discovered later it costs over £35 a bottle. Still, might as well use it - all part of the decluttering scheme.

Septimia Sat 25-Sep-21 18:24:43

When I was in my teens someone, not maleficently, gave me a pint glass of Dubonnet and lemonade. I lay awake all night trying not to be sick - terrified that my mum would find out!

I haven't done it again, but wine does go straight to my head. Fortunately the effect is very shortlived! But I'm not keen on wine, so avoiding it isn't a problem.

Lucca Sat 25-Sep-21 18:32:45

JaneJudge

??

Kate1949 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:40:46

I thought all the replies would be 'No I've never been drunk' for some reason. I'm glad there are some like me who have over indulged blush

Kim19 Sat 25-Sep-21 18:40:46

Once. Age 19. Scrumpy combined with ignorance. Lethal cocktail. Fortunately I had some very lovely matelots looking out for me. A whole life of abstinence started that night but I now have an occasional small red wine when I'm lunching out. Perfect.

Nannylovesshopping Sat 25-Sep-21 18:42:35

Oh ye gods, yes, play for the pissed as a fart team!

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 18:45:35

The honest answer is no.
There is a world of difference between feeling mellow after a couple of G&T’s and reeling about the place. Just never felt the need.I don’t smoke either and have never been remotely tempted to try recreational drugs.

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 18:46:22

Kim19

Once. Age 19. Scrumpy combined with ignorance. Lethal cocktail. Fortunately I had some very lovely matelots looking out for me. A whole life of abstinence started that night but I now have an occasional small red wine when I'm lunching out. Perfect.

Ah! You were out on the town with the Navy.wink

ginny Sat 25-Sep-21 18:50:26

I’ve never been drunk or even tipsy. I am Tee total because I have never liked the taste of anything with alcohol in it.
Can’t say it’s ever been a problem as far a social events are concerned.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Sep-21 19:06:16

Too many times, always sick,
Gave it up at 26,

Now I keep to one glass, (or two, if it’s Christmas or my birthday,).

GrannyGravy13 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:05:18

Oh dear confession, yes I have been drunk many times. Nowadays I know my limit and stop at tipsy mostly.

I have a weakness for good champagne and mellow white wine.

Alima Sat 25-Sep-21 20:20:56

Oh yes, many, many times. Was in the Wrens see, always somewhere to go, always with friends, life was a ball and I ended up absolutely rat a.sed on many occasions. Wonderful, wonderful times. Hardly touch alcohol now though, one of the reasons being I just don’t like the stuff any more. Nice strong cup of black coffee for me now.

Galaxy Sat 25-Sep-21 20:23:27

For those saying it was always good, is that true? I am just curious because some of my drunk times were excellent but some really werent.

BigBertha1 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:28:07

Me too. The best of times the worst of times. Now nice wine max 3 glasses on a celebration. Party girl long gone?

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:28:27

Twice that I remember - once had too much with a friend when we were drowning our sorrows.
Another , more recent, time at a neighbours' when none of us realised just how strong the punch was.

Scones Sat 25-Sep-21 20:29:07

JaneJudge

JaneJudge Oh my goodness lady, you make me laugh.

GillT57 Sat 25-Sep-21 20:40:17

I can understand how anyone who has grown up in a household where alcohol was abused would feel very differently, but I love a glass of crisp white wine with dinner (weekends only), love a long G & T in the garden in a summer evening, and generally love the way that a couple of glasses of wine makes me relax. Remember JaneJudge, the first couple of glasses of wine are to make us relax, and the rest are to improve our stunning dance moves.

3dognight Sat 25-Sep-21 20:42:12

Yes many times as a teenager with my sister who was a real party animal.
Have had to be carried home, from being asleep in the guttershock

Still love a drink but stick to a small bottle of homemade cider of an evening. Just one.

watermeadow Sat 25-Sep-21 20:47:52

I’ve never been drunk. I occasionally have gin or a beer but can’t bear anything acidic. Wine just tastes like vinegar.
I’m very greedy for cheese or cake but not interested in drinks.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 20:51:10

Remember JaneJudge, the first couple of glasses of wine are to make us relax, and the rest are to improve our stunning dance moves.

Nota Bene everyone: Do be careful what you post on Gransnet after a glass or three!
???

Hellogirl1 Sat 25-Sep-21 21:57:57

Never been drunk, or even tipsy. I like a drink, but never too much.

Neen Sat 25-Sep-21 22:29:41

I wish I was you and had never been intoxicated either. But I have to the point of ringing my mobile from the house phone and it was ringing in the hedge outside shock
That said those times were in my past and I have learnt a lot of lessons about all sorts really which wouldn't make me into the balanced, self aware person I am now.
But I do admire anyone whose never been inebriatedsmile