Gransnet forums

Chat

Best part of the day

(95 Posts)
MayBeMaw Thu 30-Sep-21 07:29:23

I am sitting up in bed with a large mug of tea, I have skimmed GN and am about to read the paper online. The dog is curled up beside me (I know- dreadful!) and although it is wet and windy outside, we are snug and warm.

I found myself telling Rosie that this is the “best part of the day”. (Poor old dear, she talks to the dog too)

What is your “best part of the day” ?

Greenfinch Thu 30-Sep-21 12:16:15

Having twin teenage grandchildren living with us means I am usually quite busy but I try to take an hour out just for myself to read and catch up on emails and GN. It is generally the hour before lunch (11.30 -12.20) I may even have a snooze if I have had a bad night.

DanniRae Thu 30-Sep-21 12:20:46

GagaJo

Curently, just after 7.45/8pm-ish when DGS goes to bed. I have to stay upstairs, while he drops off to sleep, because he doesn't like being up there alone. So I relax on my bed and surf the net.

After that it's all go again. Dishes, tidying up, laundry, feeding the moggies. So those 20 minutes or so are nice.

I used to do that with my daughter when she was little BUT I used to fall asleep too!

LauraNorder Thu 30-Sep-21 12:36:35

My best time is late morning breakfast, doing the crossword (we photocopy too Kitty), planning the day, catching up with what’s happening in the world.
Orlin has just told me that I spend more time on Gransnet these days which allows him to finish the crossword before me.
In winter my favourite time is evening when we retire to the sitting room after dinner, with a glass of something nice, in front of the log burner and snuggle down in front of the tv.

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Sep-21 12:50:55

Mornings when we wake for a brief cuddle before during the week MrJ goes to work, or weekends when we get up later. Or bedtime when we both read before lights out, holding hands. I’m lucky.

Neen Thu 30-Sep-21 13:56:44

For sure the first walk of the day with Rana the dog. Today over the field, the sun was behind distance trees, it was like a painting. Beautiful.

Callistemon Thu 30-Sep-21 14:48:56

Whitewavemark2

I love sitting in the conservatory in the early morning with the necessary tea watching the birds and listening to the peace.

I like doing that in the afternoon.

No chance today, I have an appointment mid-afternoon and it's raining cats and dogs!

Floradora9 Thu 30-Sep-21 21:41:47

Going to bed and listening to an audio book ,usually a biography, then if I waken early I listen to it again in the morning before catching up on my I-Pad . I listen through an Alexa device so just tell her to read my book and she does . I can continue in the kitchen on another device later in the day as I cook . I am an avid reader but just listening is lovely too . I love my bed.

Shirlb Sat 02-Oct-21 10:35:32

Same getting into bed?

Theoddbird Sat 02-Oct-21 10:39:16

When the river birds visit for a snack smile

Missiseff Sat 02-Oct-21 10:41:51

Whenever I'm asleep and don't have to think.

Alioop Sat 02-Oct-21 10:45:33

I like the morning. Up early, get ready and go a long walk along the seafront with the dog, there was a lovely sunrise this morning, although rain on now. Home for breakfast, tidy up and then sit down with a coffee checking emails and of course GN.

CarlyD7 Sat 02-Oct-21 10:48:39

Going out for an early morning walk (just half an hour or more in the summer) after our first cup of tea (before breakfast). Hardly any other people around; no noise of cars, just lots of birdsong. Bliss.

Sooze58 Sat 02-Oct-21 10:48:42

Exactly that!

polnan Sat 02-Oct-21 10:49:39

Missiseff I have read through these, and admit to feeling a tad envious.. since dh died I seem to have lost the plot.

so I was thinking I really cannot add doom and gloom to this lovely thread.. then you put is nicely Missiseff! trying hard to "let go" and stop thinking....
not all bad,, I shall now go and try and emulate some of the posts here,

rowyn Sat 02-Oct-21 10:52:53

12.15pm. Settling down to watch Bargain Hunt with a cup of freshly made 'proper' coffee and a couple of shortbread fingers.

grannyactivist Sat 02-Oct-21 10:57:57

Hmm ?
I’ve enjoyed reading your answers, but it’s made me realise that there is absolutely no routine to any of my days. It’s hard to have a favourite time of the day if every one is different.

All my days unfold with no pattern and there is no regularity to anything, and my husband is the same. Sometimes we meet in the kitchen around lunch time and share a quick cuppa. We both are often still occupied in the evenings too. Last evening, at half past nine, my husband insisted (not that I was arguing) on us going into the sitting room, where we chatted and drank sloe gin for an hour.

Moggycuddler Sat 02-Oct-21 11:02:35

Lying on the bed for an hour or so in the afternoons listening to my audiobooks, usually accompanied by one or more cats.

Joni Sat 02-Oct-21 11:14:20

I too love early mornings, house is nice and peaceful. I have my nice hot cup of lemon and ginger to start the day and catch up with what's been happening in the world usually on my tablet or morning GMB/BBC . lovely ?

GreenGran78 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:15:36

I'm just like you, grannyactivist. I live alone, and just 'go with the flow.' Some days I leap out of bed and get stuck in to chores. Other days I come downstairs, make breakfast, and waste my morning on the sofa, reading or flicking about on the iPad.
Some days my Aussie family come on for a chat, either early or very late in the evening, which is a,ways a delight. Other days I see no-one.....which doesn't bother me at all.
I'm a free agent, and relax, do housework, shop, garden or visit friends when the mood takes me. I have a few regular activities, such as choir and U3A. I definitely can't say that any particular time or pursuit is my favourite though. My bed is purely for sleeping, and I have never been one for spending time there when awake. Once I'm awake I'm up.

sarahcyn Sat 02-Oct-21 11:16:57

6pm, sun over the yardarm. This was when my father (when we visited) would put his hands on the arms of his chair and say “Right! Can I offer any of you a drink?”
Then as he got more frail he’d turn to my husband and say “D., would you buttle?”
Then after he died it was the time I’d call my mum and tell her any funny things that had happened.
She died last year and I miss making that call every say.

Modompodom Sat 02-Oct-21 11:21:02

A Summer’s evening on the patio with a glass of wine or Prosecco in my hand. Absolute bliss!

Camelotclub Sat 02-Oct-21 11:23:58

Getting into bed with my Kindle and sudoku book.

justwokeup Sat 02-Oct-21 11:31:25

Favourite: the whirlwind when dgc arrive, always full of news and joy.
2nd favourite time: when they have gone home and house is peaceful, tidy and ours again. Or is it the other way around? smile

TerriBull Sat 02-Oct-21 11:32:01

Absolutely a morning person, if I ever was an evening/night time person that was years ago.

On a sunny day, not today, I like nothing more than sitting in the kitchen, having a coffee looking at the garden, or during the summer out on the terrace, I enjoy the peace and quiet just the birdsong. I need 3 to 4 cups of coffee during the morning to get me going. After 1 pm I switch to tea.

Kim19 Sat 02-Oct-21 11:34:44

I'm another solo 'go with the flow' person. Think a favourite part of any day is sitting with a hot chocolate in one hand and someone I care for on my phone in the other. Does it for me every time.