Gransnet forums

Chat

Best part of the day

(95 Posts)
MayBeMaw Thu 30-Sep-21 07:29:23

I am sitting up in bed with a large mug of tea, I have skimmed GN and am about to read the paper online. The dog is curled up beside me (I know- dreadful!) and although it is wet and windy outside, we are snug and warm.

I found myself telling Rosie that this is the “best part of the day”. (Poor old dear, she talks to the dog too)

What is your “best part of the day” ?

icanhandthemback Sat 02-Oct-21 11:34:45

I think it is coming down the stairs in the morning to a fresh coffee and the dog prancing around me with such pleasure to see me. He will stay on his bed whilst my husband gets the coffee even though he knows that he gets his breakfast the moment he goes out the back door but he won't move until he's seen me.
Sadly, this bit of the day is going to leave us soon as our beautiful boy has Degenerative myelopathy and has been given less than 6 months before he has lost the use of both back legs. I am afraid I am going to have to find more joy in the line up of cats who accompany me for the early morning wee!

Shaunwool Sat 02-Oct-21 11:43:24

It has been fab reading all your remarks. I have only just found this group so dip in an out through the day. Really interesting

Rosina Sat 02-Oct-21 11:46:19

The early evening in autumn; looking out at a beautiful sunset, and enjoying that moment before starting dinner, to be followed by a quiet evening with a book or TV, my loving little spaniel, cats, and OH.

Knittynatter Sat 02-Oct-21 11:50:06

I love first thing in the morning when I can unlock the back door, stand in the garden (whatever the weather!) and say good morning to a new day on planet Earth ?

GrannySomerset Sat 02-Oct-21 11:53:24

Finally getting into bed with DH settled and comfortable and a day of no drama behind me. Current book and World Service send me to sleep.

Daisydaisydaisy Sat 02-Oct-21 11:59:49

What a lovely post...I like the early mornings when I do My Body project workout...never "worked out before" but I absolutely love sitting on the sofa in the evening with My partner watching T.v with My Mummy blanket over Me (Comfort from being childsmile

TheMaggiejane1 Sat 02-Oct-21 12:08:58

Oh gosh, lots of you are morning people! I’m definitely not. My favourite time is dinner time, we usually eat at around 8.00pm. Always at the table and generally a meal I have planned and thought about during the day. We usually have a couple of glasses of wine. It feels ‘civilised’ somehow. Although, tonight we’ve got 3 young grandchildren staying with us and I’ve promised them take away pizza so it will be somewhat less civilised but still fun.

Lillian40 Sat 02-Oct-21 12:10:34

My best part of the day is like so many people, the first cup of tea in the morning with 2 Ginger biscuits and watching Murdock Mysteries, his handsome face starts the day of just right... But I also enjoy reading in bed at night with my soft orange salt lamp on beside me, its so cosy. Even more so if it is blowing a gale outside, it makes me feel so warm and safe.

GrandmaCornwall Sat 02-Oct-21 12:16:47

Like many Gransnetters in bed first thing in the morning is my favourite time of day, very occasionally it is made even better by the addition of our grandchildren.
I asked my grandson what his favourite part of staying at our house had been and he replied
“All of us together cosy in bed”.

AuntieEleanorsCat Sat 02-Oct-21 12:26:02

I worked night for years. Twelve hour shifts…7 on 7 off. It wasn’t til I stopped that I realised how draining it was.

Now, I leave DH to watch Newsnight and go up to bed, with a good book. Being warm and cosy and relaxing and occasionally thinking of my shift work, makes realise how lucky I am now.

GrauntyHelen Sat 02-Oct-21 12:27:40

When my husband who I am carer to goes to bed and I have a couple of hours of uninterrupted time to myself

Oofy Sat 02-Oct-21 12:36:09

Thank goodness, MaggieJane1, I was beginning to think I was the only person reading Gransnet who wasn’t getting up at the crack of dawn (aka middle of the night), though I might function best even later than you, as we will often be eating supper when the 10 o’clock news is on tv. I have never been a morning person. Even when I was working, I used to try not to arrange critical tasks until after mid-morning if at all possible.
My best time of the day is definitely from about 11pm, when I will read, or sit at my desk doing a bit of writing. DH will usually have gone to bed, the house is perfectly quiet, there is no traffic noise from the road outside our house, and I will often hear foxes howling from outside. The dog will often come and sit on my feet. There are no interruptions, no one coming to the door or phoning, and the messaging alert on my phone is on night-time, so doesn’t go off. I’ll often be up till 3am. As long as I then get my 8hours’ sleep in, which I can now I’ve retired, I’m fine. Unless some early bird thinks they are entitled to contact me at 8am, which really puts my back up! How would they like it if I rang them at midnight??

jocork Sat 02-Oct-21 12:51:06

I like my mid to late morning coffee and snack. When I was working it was about the only time of day when we had a relaxed time with colleagues as the rest of the time we were flat out busy. Since retiring I still try to have that as part of my routine even if the company is daytime TV, though some days I enjoy coffee with friends which is always nice.

albertina Sat 02-Oct-21 12:54:03

What a lovely question.

For me it's 5pm when I prepare my tea, give my dog his and watch the Chase while I am doing it. Sometimes I have a glass of red.

Like you, I love to cuddle up in bed but my pooch sits on his blankets by the bed. I think I will have to give in soon and let him up as he looks so forlorn.

Mollygo Sat 02-Oct-21 13:28:31

Best time first welcome from our dog, around 6.am, who still tries to trip me up going downstairs, then early gym for a swim. Love the warm welcome when I get back too.

Marg75 Sat 02-Oct-21 13:31:31

Like a lot of you, its got to be getting into bed at night, which these days is around 9pm as I up early in the morning (usually around 7.30) so by then I'm really tired, and just love to settle in bed with my book. After my husband has gone to sleep, which he does earlier than me, I read on 'til at around 10.30/11.00, the quiet of the house, bliss!

Joesoap Sat 02-Oct-21 13:41:37

Best cup of tea in the morning, but not in bed.
Best time, the evening to relax and watch good programmes on tv if there are any, or read a good book.Next best time in bed, relaxing under the duvet and thinking of the days events or thinking of future events, not the best sleeping advice but its the one time in the day I can really have to myself.

Damdee Sat 02-Oct-21 13:57:36

For me it's about 3-4pm when I make a little pot of tea for one in my old teddy-bear teapot, and sit and read, eating biscuits - and pouring out another fresh cup.

aonk Sat 02-Oct-21 14:00:57

I like a mid morning coffee break. Coffee made with the excellent machine given to us the Christmas before lockdown accompanied by a toasted teacake or bun. Depending on the weather I will be in the garden or in the sitting room. Much better than a glass of wine.

VANECAM Sat 02-Oct-21 14:18:27

Mattsmum2

I love night times and look forward to snuggling under the duvet and falling asleep. I’ve on the most part been a good sleeper but boy do I know it if I don’t get enough, feel jet Lagged!

How to you keep the bath hot “for an hour or two”?

sharon103 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:28:26

Being a night owl, I don't do early mornings.
I love the evenings, feet up on the settee watching my favourite tv programmes. I can't wait to watch a new series of 'Our Yorkshire Farm' next Tuesday night.

AGAA4 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:46:01

8pm through to 10 when I go to bed. I love cosy
evenings when I can curl up on the sofa and read or watch a film especially now it's dark at that time

JONEStina Sat 02-Oct-21 14:48:30

Getting into bed; writing my diary & reading a good book waiting for my eye lids to start closing.

Trisher123 Sat 02-Oct-21 14:51:51

My best time is when I've changed my sheets, had a hot shower and put my night clothes on. smile

HillyN Sat 02-Oct-21 15:18:37

I'm with Oofy, my favourite time is late at night after my DH has gone to bed. I turn off the TV (DH has it on from first thing in the morning practically non-stop), make a hot chocolate and enjoy the silence.
I give him a chance to drop off before I join him, as my snoring stops him getting to sleep. Then I turn off the TV in the bedroom so I can get to sleep!
If the weather is nice I also enjoy an hour reading in the summer house around 4-5pm.