Gransnet forums

Chat

have you got your heating on yet?

(140 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 05-Oct-21 14:20:17

I have resisted the temptation to put mine on. I find that when i am doing things round the house and garden that layers are keeping me warm enough. Thicker PJ's at night keep me warm in bed, wool socks and fur lined slippers keep my feet cosy. When i sit down in the afternoon/evenings, i make a hot water bottle which i put in the small of my back and with a throw and the sitting room door closed i feel quite cosy and warm enough. I am scared of running up a large bill and as there is only me in the house i can complete these economies without affecting anyone else. I will feel easier once i have my winter fuel allowance as i will set that aside to pay towards my gas bills.

Sara1954 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:11:44

No, but I’ve started lighting fires in the evenings, best part of winter.

edith55 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:21:30

There is some maritime tropical weather blowing in from the south west this week, so the answer is-:
no, of course not, its october.

AGAA4 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:23:27

As it was only 13 degrees in my living room I had to give in and put the heating on at lunchtime.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Oct-21 16:25:23

No I don’t have central heating but I haven’t got the gas fire on yet I do have a hot water bottle at my back in the evenings when I m sitting still

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 16:26:02

BigBertha1

Yes of course its on its October

But it's not cold yet, not here anyway.

DH tried it out the other morning and I had to ask him to turn it off again!

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 16:27:01

Hetty58

I spent £30 on new throws and blankets - so the dog and cat can have 'newer' old ones now. I got them from:

www.onlinehomeshop.com/blankets-throws

and I'm still saving if it means another few weeks without the heating on!

I've been crocheting them!

Chestnut Tue 05-Oct-21 16:29:10

Mine is set at 19C in the day and 19.5C in the evenings and it comes on when it feels the need to! That is not extravagant, but I don't want it getting any colder. It's digital and very accurate, and also works on a cycle which saves energy by switching off before it reaches the required temperature. My heating bill went down when I started using it. The Honeywell CM901 has now been replaced by a different model but some are still on eBay.

SueDonim Tue 05-Oct-21 16:51:29

Yes, and it’s been on and off for a few weeks now. It was 4deg the other morning! Today, it’s 9deg and heavy rain so it’s been on most of the day. I’d rather cut back on other things than heating, esp as Dh has an autoimmune arthritis.

grannyrebel7 Tue 05-Oct-21 16:56:32

We try to stick it out until November. I'm dreading when we do have it on as DH always wants to turn it off or turn it down. It's a constant battle between us every winter! He'll be even worse this year with the prices going up. ?

annsixty Tue 05-Oct-21 16:58:03

I have mine on for an hour in the morning and about 4 hours in the evening.
It is regulated by the thermostat though and isn’t on much in the evening, as an old lady I do feel the cold now but am very mindful of the price hikes coming in.

Esspee Tue 05-Oct-21 17:01:43

Our's is never off. Like most central heating it is controlled by a timer and thermostat. This is the 21st century.
Just work out what times and temperatures suit your life and the system does it for you.
The only time I change it is when I'm away from home then 24 hours before we return I put it back to our usual settings.

Oldbat1 Tue 05-Oct-21 17:05:55

Ours was on but unfortunately it has stopped working! We hope it will be repaired next week. Luckily we have an open fire and a gas fire.

Mapleleaf Tue 05-Oct-21 17:06:47

Ours comes on automatically if the temperature falls below a set level, so it has clicked on a few times this last couple of weeks.

Shelbel Tue 05-Oct-21 17:08:44

Ours is on but only low. We tend to only need a bit of warmth in the evenings sitting watching TV. I never want it on overnight in the bedroom and I even have the window open at night. Even when it's frosty. I cant stand being hot at night. Bathroom radiator is on to dry towels.

lemongrove Tue 05-Oct-21 17:10:18

Controlled by the thermostat ( like Esspee says) so at the moment the heating is coming on about 6a.m to get the temp up to 20, our normal setting. If it drops below that then the heating kicks in.

grannyactivist Tue 05-Oct-21 17:11:52

Not yet - but we did get notification from our energy company regarding the hike in bills. We’re in the fortunate position of being able to pay the extra, but I am very worried about those of my clients who are having to use pre-payment meters and already pay over the odds for their energy use. Our local Food Bank is gearing up for an increase of clients throughout the autumn and winter - when the choice for many is to have heat or food I’m so glad FoodBanks are available to help out.

Chestnut Tue 05-Oct-21 17:17:42

grannyrebel7

We try to stick it out until November. I'm dreading when we do have it on as DH always wants to turn it off or turn it down. It's a constant battle between us every winter! He'll be even worse this year with the prices going up. ?

A digital thermostat will accurately set your temperature and you can leave it to decide whether it's cold and needs to come on. All you need to do is decide on the temperatures you require at different times of the day. No more arguing and no more touching the heating!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Oct-21 17:29:40

Jaxjacky

I don’t think it was insensitive Germanshepherdsmum. The question is ‘have you got your heating on yet?’ It was being answered.

Yes it was but I felt the ‘of course’ was insensitive.

rafichagran Tue 05-Oct-21 17:31:35

Yes I have mine on. I put it on 1/10. I know there is a price hike, but I like to be comfortable. I dont get heating allowance, but my partner will get it for the 1st time this year.

crazyH Tue 05-Oct-21 17:32:26

I don’t understand this - and I doubt anyone knows the answer. I put my thermostat on at 15 degrees so it never gets really cold. And then low and behold, I come down in the morning and the thermostat has turned itself up to 20. ???? Is it a poltergeist ? My heating engineer doesn’t have an answer. Oh I must ask Mr Google - he has an answer for everything ?

grannydarkhair Tue 05-Oct-21 17:34:31

No, but I was very tempted to put it on this morning. When I went out, it was perishing, really windy and wet (east coast of Scotland). Because of the windows having to be kept open, the bus was also cold. Methinks it’s time to look out the gloves and woolly hat.

Hetty58 Tue 05-Oct-21 17:38:15

Some people feel the chill much more than others. I can afford to run the boiler - but old habits die hard and I'm used to lower temperatures.

I do like to open windows and don't like stuffy air. I've stopped leaving them open all day now, just a few hours midday. I think the average household fuel bill is about £100 a month. I'd rather spend on something else - and sit under a blanket (though my kids say I'm a miser).

annsixty Tue 05-Oct-21 17:47:03

My dual fuel bill is £157 a month and I don’t think that will cover this winter even without a price rise.
I am with EDF.

Blondiescot Tue 05-Oct-21 17:54:08

Wow, that's a lot. Ours is about half of that and I think even that's a lot!

MissAdventure Tue 05-Oct-21 17:58:59

Not yet, but I don't think I need to.
I'm often hot when others are shivering, and I enjoy feeling slightly chilly.