Gransnet forums

Chat

John Lewis Ad. Is all publicity really good publicity?

(108 Posts)
grannyactivist Fri 15-Oct-21 11:28:07

The ad is called Let Life Happen and shows a little boy vandalising his (very nice) home: emptying out drawers and strewing his mother’s clothing all over her bedroom, deliberately spilling his little sisters paints whilst she is using them, smearing the paint on himself and walls, throwing things around a room causing breakages, standing (strutting) on the furniture - and all watched by his mum who sits passively without intervening.

It’s an ad for JL Home Insurance, which they have described as ‘playful’.

Without watching the ad - and just on my description - I wonder what your reaction would be?

Boz Thu 28-Oct-21 11:54:45

They really have to put out a corker Xmas ad. But it will already have been done and probably by the same Agency! I have this vision of kids dressed as elves spraying graffiti messages of good cheer on house walls. Nightmare before Christmas.

Beswitched Thu 28-Oct-21 12:04:37

Awful ad encouraging the idea that parents who are too lazy to control their children are raising creative free spirits and not troublesome annoying brats who haven't been taught right from wrong.

I can imagine the parents of the boy being portrayed saying weakly "Jeremiah darling , do you really think you ought to be doing that".

Beswitched Thu 28-Oct-21 12:24:12

The advert with the little girl had charm and humour. This one lacks both and is just crass and annoying.

Visgir1 Thu 28-Oct-21 13:52:35

JenniferEccles

I find it extraordinary that presumably, no one involved in the advert could foresee the problem with it.
I mean, John Lewis of all shops.

The whole theme was wilful damage, and as far as I am aware that’s never been covered by insurance.

How on earth did they get it so wrong?

But they did. I was one of the people sent this in a survey for my opinion.
I was obviously in the minority as I couldn't believe what I was seeing.
I was not particularly aware of the little boy in dressing up clothes but the willful vandalism! And the two females just watching him. If it was one of mine, well?
I was probably in the minority that thought this was a bonkers advert, really would Insurance companies pay up for this damage?
Or perhaps if your Child was to do this in there Store they would just laugh and claim on their Insurance..??

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 28-Oct-21 14:16:14

You are saying they actually canvassed opinions before putting that ludicrous (and totally misleading) ad out? It gets worse …

Rosie51 Thu 28-Oct-21 14:19:32

Or perhaps if your Child was to do this in there Store they would just laugh and claim on their Insurance..?? I'm sure they would see it as "Life happening" if someone let their child dance around with gay abandon in the fine china and crystal ware section......the category of goods excluded from claims according to their t&cs. wink

Visgir1 Thu 28-Oct-21 15:17:10

Germanshepherdsmum

You are saying they actually canvassed opinions before putting that ludicrous (and totally misleading) ad out? It gets worse …

Yes.. It was in the summer, really unbelievable to see on TV. grin