Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this the norm now?

(63 Posts)
MeowWow Sat 16-Oct-21 11:10:35

Greetings to all GNs ☺️ I’m new on here and would like your views on the following……

I recently received a birthday invitation for my great niece’s 1st birthday. I’ve seen her once since she was born and to be fair, I don’t really have much contact with my nephew and his wife (niece), but that’s beside the point.

On the invitation is a paragraph saying “for those that want to gift money, ABC has her own bank account so please put your name on the deposit so it will appear on her statement and she can see who it’s from when she’s old enough”.

Is this the norm now? I’ve never seen anything like this before, have any of you? ☺️

Franbern Sat 16-Oct-21 14:07:56

Why are people so quick to try to take offence? Nothing in the invite says anyone HAS to give money, it states that for those would like to do so, a method has been put in place for them tomake this pleasant and easy.

If you wish to purchase a small gift - and take the chance that it something tney will want and use or keep, then do so.

Nannarose Sat 16-Oct-21 14:24:58

I personally would be pleased to do as the parents suggest.
However, if it makes you uncomfortable, then don't.

All families have different expectations of the slightly more distant relatives.

In our non-Christian family, there are no 'christenings' so the 'greats' mostly have a 'gathering' for the 1st birthday at which gifts are given. I then don't normally give any more birthday gifts.

If you want to be polite, but not get 'sucked in', I would suggest writing / saying "It is lovely to get the invitation. Although we won't normally be buying gifts for Jemima, we are pleased to celebrate her first birthday by contributing to her savings"

wildswan16 Sat 16-Oct-21 14:40:23

I think it is sensible to suggest people give money rather than gifts - most babies are overloaded with stuff already. By adding your name it lets them know you have given a gift to your niece and they can thank you for it. (Hopefully they are polite enough to do so).

Just give £5 or £10, whatever you feel comfortable with. Don't feel you have to do it for every birthday though. Maybe a 1st birthday is a little special. You can ignore the others, or even this one, if you wish.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Oct-21 16:06:20

I find suggesting money mercenary if I chose to give money thats one thing but for it to be suggested I don’t like that at all
I don’t even like the idea of weddings asking for money My friend suggested people gave money so they could have a nice honeymoon, then they divorced a year later.

I have to send money to my older grandkids living overseas and although it’s the sensible thing to do I find it so impersonal and nothing of ‘me’ is in it It’s just a transaction

Nannarose Sat 16-Oct-21 16:12:32

It really does depend on individuals and, to a certain extent, cultures. In some cultures, and some families, giving money is regarded as sensible and helpful.

I was, in common with many young children in working class families, given money by family & friends at my birth and christening, put into an account with the local Building Society. It was added to at birthdays & Christmas. It was very clear to me that this was an act of kindness and love - it was talked of as being for my future.
When we bought our first home, I withdrew that money to form part of the deposit, and the Building Society took my savings history into account when granting us a mortgage.

I feel that every house we have ever owned has a little bit of those savings in it.

Allsorts Sat 16-Oct-21 16:16:01

I consider it mercenary and rude.

62Granny Sat 16-Oct-21 16:19:19

Seems a brilliant idea to me saves the house getting over run with plastic rubbish and at least they are planning ahead for her. I don't see that this is any different to putting £10.00 in a card. They would know who has given what then to.

GrannyMacawell Sat 16-Oct-21 16:25:31

62Granny

Seems a brilliant idea to me saves the house getting over run with plastic rubbish and at least they are planning ahead for her. I don't see that this is any different to putting £10.00 in a card. They would know who has given what then to.

This exactly! Imagine the amount of tat they already have. Saving for the children is way better. Also it is just a suggestion!

62Granny Sat 16-Oct-21 16:25:50

Also it does say "for those wanting to gift money" it isn't asking for a specific amount you could buy something if you prefer but you have said yourself you haven't seen them often so you won't know what the child has.

Beswitched Sat 16-Oct-21 17:07:39

Surely, if they don't want a load of 'tat' the polite thing is to state on the invitation that no presents are required.

By giving details of a bank account you are hinting, none to subtly, that you want guests to hand over cash. It's extremely rude and vulgar in my opinion.

Yes, some people will decide for themselves to give money. That is their choice and totally different.

GrannyMacawell Sat 16-Oct-21 17:14:52

Wow people are really over thinking this. Key word is "if". people like to give..even if you tell them not to. All they have done is suggest the best way..i doubt they even considered for a moment it would be offensive

JackyB Sat 16-Oct-21 18:14:01

We actually asked our AC to set up an account for their children so that we could pay money in for them for bigger presents rather than getting stuff -toys, books, games - which will only collect dust. Together with money paid in by the other grandparents they can put it towards a new bike, or, when they are bigger, maybe a computer or a trip abroad.

Don't see anything wrong with it.

Kali2 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:18:24

Hugely different Jacky, you did this yourself- it was not 'imposed' on you.

ayse Sat 16-Oct-21 18:20:54

I’m happy either way. For abroad family I send money and for the older grandchildren here. I see the younger ones twice every week so know their interests and consult with parents about their presents.

As I’m on a limited budget £20 each is the amount for Christmas and birthdays. They have so much stuff unused that if in doubt I buy craft stuff. I don’t like to buy plastic tat so I leave that for others to buy.

GagaJo Sat 16-Oct-21 18:20:58

I think it depends on the relationship. If my DD said, 'DGS is swimming in toys, he really doesn't need more, IF you want to give, can you do this?' I'd be fine with it.

But from someone you barely know or have a tenuous relationship with it smacks of greed, frankly.

grannyactivist Sat 16-Oct-21 18:27:28

The baby is going to be one - for some new parents that’s a significant birthday and, to me, it’s natural that they want all their extended family to share it. However, at that age babies have literally everything they need and so from a purely pragmatic point of view it seems eminently sensible to enable a direct monetary gift, for those who want to do this.

I would be at the front of the queue to gift in this way. It would save me both time and effort and ten gifts at an average spend of £10 would be a nice little sum for the baby, and preferable to risking buying something duplicated or unnecessary.

Riverwalk Sat 16-Oct-21 18:35:04

Sending out bank details with an invitation is grasping in my opinion, particularly to a distant relative that you hardly know.

BlueBelle Sat 16-Oct-21 18:36:03

But the baby would nt smile and chuckle and be happy with something in its hands, to me it’s so impersonal and cold

PaperMonster Sat 16-Oct-21 18:36:32

I think that is so sensible! Contribute to the child’s future rather than buying some tat!

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 19:29:27

What a sensible idea. A one year old need so little and is so often inundated with toys. You do not have to put your money on the slip, so it can always appear as an anonymous donation.

M0nica Sat 16-Oct-21 19:30:16

How does it differ from giving an older child cash in hand or a voucher, which will have the value on it.

Beswitched Sat 16-Oct-21 19:45:57

JackyB

We actually asked our AC to set up an account for their children so that we could pay money in for them for bigger presents rather than getting stuff -toys, books, games - which will only collect dust. Together with money paid in by the other grandparents they can put it towards a new bike, or, when they are bigger, maybe a computer or a trip abroad.

Don't see anything wrong with it.

But did you expect this to be passed on to more distant relatives with suggestions that they might also like to contribute?

Beswitched Sat 16-Oct-21 19:56:46

Beginning to wonder how many posters on here have had AC doing something similar and are therefore defending it. I cannot imagine any of my friends or family doing anything like that. It would just be considered so odd and rude

V3ra Sat 16-Oct-21 20:51:43

I think we need to remember that MeowWow has actually been invited to the birthday party, in which case surely she would be taking a present of some description anyway?
If she prefers not to go she could just send a card.

Amberone Sat 16-Oct-21 21:19:12

Not actually seen a message like that for a child's gift but I wouldn't get upset about it. They're not asking you to do it - they may be responding to requests from other family members. They don't necessarily expect everyone to do it, especially those who are not immediate family. It's been the norm for years for weddings/engagements to tell people where to buy gifts, or where to send money.

For a child that young that I don't expect to see much of I would probably be more inclined to just buy a lovely teddy or something anyway. But then I wouldn't have invited all and sundry to a first birthday either.