Gransnet forums

Chat

Remembrance Service in UK on TV

(59 Posts)
Maywalk Sun 14-Nov-21 16:09:29

Did anyone watch this moving ceremony????

Quite surprised there is no thread on here for people to pay their respects.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Nov-21 16:12:51

It has raised a few comments on another thread, but not seen one on its own until this one.

kittylester Sun 14-Nov-21 16:15:33

You have started one May walk

paddyann54 Sun 14-Nov-21 16:19:05

The service in England was on TV ,there were many other services throught the four nations .

Calistemon Sun 14-Nov-21 16:29:20

Maywalk

Did anyone watch this moving ceremony????

Quite surprised there is no thread on here for people to pay their respects.

I must watch it on catch up as we were at a local service.

Mamie Sun 14-Nov-21 16:29:50

We watched it here in Normandy and yes it was very moving. The ceremonies here are on the 11th November which is a bank holiday. We went to our local churchyard to pay our respects to an English pilot who died in our village in August 1944.

Maywalk Sun 14-Nov-21 16:33:55

Well did you watch your own paddyann54 if you live abroad ?

It still does not stop having a thread for everyone worldwide to pay their respects to kinfolk who died in the many conflicts around the world.

Josianne Sun 14-Nov-21 16:37:07

Some comments on the day are gently couched in a few other threads.

Calistemon Sun 14-Nov-21 16:42:04

paddyann54

The service in England was on TV ,there were many other services throught the four nations .

As far as know, we are still the United Kingdom and London is the capital so the service at The Cenotaph was representative of the whole country.

I know that there was also a service in Cardiff attended by The First Minister.

Well done for starting a thread, Maywalk.

Calistemon Sun 14-Nov-21 16:45:00

Josianne

Some comments on the day are gently couched in a few other threads.

The other thread seems to have dropped off the active list

rubysong Sun 14-Nov-21 16:45:35

I was the wreath layer for our WI at the service at our local War Memorial. We had a band for the parade and lots of Scouts and Cubs. There were several wreaths laid and a lot of people. I always find it very moving when the names of those who died are read out. Lots of names from WW1, quite a few from WW2 and one from Korea.
I was thinking of DH's uncle who was killed in Normandy a few weeks after D day, also my mother's cousin who survived WW1 only to die in the flu epidemic. Doing family history I have discovered a distant cousin who died, along with his wife, in the terrible blitz in Hull in WW2.

Josianne Sun 14-Nov-21 16:47:29

Somehow it certainly seemed even more poignant and sombre this year, even though all deaths in war are tragic at any time.
Maybe due to Covid, the loss of Prince Philip, the Queen's illness, evacuations from Kabul, I can't put a finger on why.

kittylester Sun 14-Nov-21 16:58:03

I watched it with the Dh, DD2, her husband and 2 daughters. I thought it was very moving and the lack of the Queen was very poignant. We all thought that Prince Charles looked close to tears.

Calistemon Sun 14-Nov-21 17:03:12

kittylester

I watched it with the Dh, DD2, her husband and 2 daughters. I thought it was very moving and the lack of the Queen was very poignant. We all thought that Prince Charles looked close to tears.

Oh dear, I didn't realise HM wasn't there as she was determined to be, kittylester.

Anniebach Sun 14-Nov-21 17:07:27

Charles did look upset

NotTooOld Sun 14-Nov-21 17:13:06

I read that the Queen has sprained her back.

Calendargirl Sun 14-Nov-21 17:23:17

Probably Charles, on his 73rd birthday today, was feeling his age, the absence of his mother, father, younger son, younger brother, (the latter two providing plenty for him to worry about) and just the huge responsibilities that await him, no longer a young man in his prime.

No wonder he looked sad.

Grandmadinosaur Sun 14-Nov-21 17:43:24

I agree Calendargirl Charles looked like very emotional.

Camilla,Kate and Sophie looked especially sombre even given the occasion.

Shelflife Sun 14-Nov-21 17:48:54

I watched , it was very moving. I also was aware that Prince Charles looked very emotional. The royal family have had much to contend with and Prince Charles has much before him , and yes not a young man anymore.

Josianne Sun 14-Nov-21 17:51:18

Without speculating, I think we can all agree that if HM were gravely ill there's NO way she would want any announcement to take the focus away from remembrance services up and down the land.

Anniebach Sun 14-Nov-21 17:54:26

Yes I agree

Bellanonna Sun 14-Nov-21 18:03:18

I enjoyed it too, as I do every year. Josianne, I hadn’t thought of it that way. Oh dear. Let’s hope we have some better news about HM soon.

Poppyred Sun 14-Nov-21 18:14:42

Very moving ceremony at the cenataph as usual. Hope the queen is ok. 🙏

Scones Sun 14-Nov-21 18:19:04

We have a new neighbour nearby who only moved in this week. She has today put a small named cross with a poppy in her garden. I found it so very moving that the person she is thinking of has come with her.

As I don't know her I didn't want to intrude on her today but hoped she wasn't alone. I will make a point of speaking to her tomorrow. Today is such a moving day isn't it. So much loss and sacrifice to remember and reflect on. We've so much to be grateful for.

Hellogirl1 Sun 14-Nov-21 18:39:03

I always watch the parade and service. My father was in the RAF in WW2, he was killed 6 months before I was born, they`d only been married for 11 months.
I`ve been moaning a lot about my health and other things lately, seeing people marching with artificial limbs, also blind people, makes me think I should shut up about myself, there are others much worse off.