Gransnet forums

Chat

We’re you ever head girl / boy at school?

(98 Posts)
Atqui Tue 23-Nov-21 20:17:16

Or is that too personal a question?

JackyB Fri 26-Nov-21 14:56:31

I was astonished to be made a prefect but we didn't really have any duties, as far as I remember. The boy prefects were better at disciplining the little ones in the corridors and whilst waiting outside the classrooms after break. I was made House Captain and prided myself on knowing the Christian names of all the girls in the House, even though only the surnames were on the list when it came to calling in house points.

By virtue of her living near where my mother used to live, I am still good friends with our Head Girl.

My mother was an exemplary pupil and very sporty. She was Captain of the netball team and represented the school in several sports, particularly swimming, diving and tennis. I'm not sure if they had prefects in the 1930s though. I was useless at all sports and gym.

Elvis58 Thu 25-Nov-21 20:14:56

Prefect that was it.

nadateturbe Thu 25-Nov-21 17:55:33

Boyzone

I love all these responses from those who were a tad naughty at school. It makes for fun reading. There have been threads where I think the majority of GNs are all goody goodies.

yes it's been a revelation!

lilydily9 Thu 25-Nov-21 17:48:39

Our year was split into 4 houses and I did get to be House Captain of one of these. Never made head girl but the girl who did was really lovely.

Brocky Thu 25-Nov-21 17:22:53

I was made a prefect, then House Captain of St. Andrews House. This was in the early fifties, I still have the badges.

Lyndie Thu 25-Nov-21 16:36:14

Prefect.

BlueSapphire Thu 25-Nov-21 16:22:56

No! I was quite a shy quiet girl and must have been thought not suitable. But DH was head boy in his secondary school.

Yammy Thu 25-Nov-21 16:12:40

I was in the worst class in the Grammar school for behaviour until the sixth form ,the boys lead from the front and the girls followed we were horrors, all whole class detentions etc.
When it came to prefects it was deemed bad for UCCA forms if you were not a prefect so we were all school officers, the girl who was chosen as head had no gravitas but spoke very nicely and I can't remember the boy.
Always on the edge of mischief and yes I did became a teacher along with a lot of other detention candidates. I was told by the Careers master I told the truth too bluntly and too often. I never Kow Towed to anyone.hmm

Sheilasue Thu 25-Nov-21 16:12:06

Nope comprehensive schools didn’t go in for that sort of thing in the 50s. It was all new and exciting. The girls who were very bright Grammer school wore a kind of bowler..

Destin Thu 25-Nov-21 16:09:12

I was netball captain .....and head girl was on our team. At that formative time in my life I believed that netball captain was considerably more influential on my peer group than being head girl!

LuckyFour Thu 25-Nov-21 15:52:46

I was never head girl or head anything, not even a prefect. It never occurred to me to want to be in charge of anyone else, or anyone's behaviour.
I don't even like being in charge of any of the local groups I attend. I prefer to let others take the responsibility. Am I just lazy I wonder.

AMF123 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:40:11

Yep, head girl at school...sorry!

Gabrielle56 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:31:39

Well yes I was..... Er nope I lied!? I barely went to school past the age of 13! Mixed teen years of bunking off and reading LOADS . Result? Ended career as ex cop ex accountant and ex senior civil servant! Pity really that my wealth of life experiences skill of problem solving /organisation quick mind stratospheric I.Q. ( unknown until I was in 30s !) Would today not be taken into account.....because I don't have a scrufy piece of paper saying I spent 3-5 years getting pissed at " Uni" and came out with a mediocre qual in stupidity studies....ha haaaa! I don't care, I'm the one with the big pension now and all the snobs I knew are struggling.

Bea65 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:23:32

In Junior school another girl and I ran the tuck shop..we ate the cracked teacakes and smashed jammie dodgers...could only sell undamaged ones...yep look at me now?

Boyzone Thu 25-Nov-21 15:20:18

I love all these responses from those who were a tad naughty at school. It makes for fun reading. There have been threads where I think the majority of GNs are all goody goodies.

Caro57 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:15:24

I was in a boarding school and was Head of House

Sardinia2020 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:22:34

Yes I was Head Girl in the Sixth Form. The person who everyone thought was going to get the job got pregnant and left school. We were all shocked to our soul.

H1954 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:21:32

Oh no! That privilege was reserved for the clever kids in the upper stream. The Head Boy one year was ok but the Head Girl developed a sense of self entitlement way beyond her station. Saving grace was, she made loads of enemies by dobbing other pupils in for the most minor misdemeanours and only stayed in post for one year. Life was a bit tough for her the following year. Shame....,,not!

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 25-Nov-21 13:15:03

No chance - far too contrary ! However my daughter is a former HG and is about to marry (25 years on!)the former HB from the same school. As you can see we don't rush into things in our family....

Kalu Thu 25-Nov-21 13:00:41

Hockey Captain which was more my thing.

As I was good at calligraphy, the art mistress chose me to come up with a slogan, and write it in italics.

- Remember to Wash Your Hands -
I had to write out many which were then tacked on behind every toilet cubicle throughout school. Such an honour!

Katie59 Thu 25-Nov-21 12:54:28

I did make Prefect, as for Head Girl the only one I recall, we all knew was receiving extra tuition from the science master in the storeroom at break times.
Very unusual in those days!.

sodapop Thu 25-Nov-21 12:28:46

I remember mixing ink powder as well Happysexagenarian how times have changed. I feel sooo old now smile

62Granny Thu 25-Nov-21 12:24:26

No I left school before 6 form , I have often wondered who was made HG & HB out of my year.

nadateturbe Thu 25-Nov-21 11:57:49

Interesting thread
I do wonder how you ended up dating someone who was mean to you Katy!

Annaram1 Thu 25-Nov-21 11:56:13

I was Head girl at my school. Enjoyed the title and got respect from the teachers!