Gransnet forums

Chat

We’re you ever head girl / boy at school?

(97 Posts)
Atqui Tue 23-Nov-21 20:17:16

Or is that too personal a question?

Mollygo Tue 23-Nov-21 20:28:49

No. I made prefect but that was as far as I got.

sodapop Tue 23-Nov-21 20:30:32

I was milk monitor once grin

Deedaa Tue 23-Nov-21 20:32:07

Oh dear no grin My friends and I did pretty well academically and weren't badly behaved, but we had a subversive side which I think didn't go un noticed!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 23-Nov-21 20:33:34

I was a Prefect in 6th Form.

Calistemon Tue 23-Nov-21 20:34:14

sodapop

I was milk monitor once grin

Me too, and I was a prefect.

The Head Girl was someone who always pipped me to the post on everything (except once).

Urmstongran Tue 23-Nov-21 20:38:08

At junior school I was made Deputy H. For a term. The HG and HB held the post for the full school year but each term of 3 the deputies were selected.

I found out years later from mum she had been told at parents’ evening it was to build up confidence in myself. I am an end of August birthday. Aw.

It worked! ?
What a kind school/staff to recognise my needs.

Chewbacca Tue 23-Nov-21 20:39:33

A vice prefect in 5th form and then, in 6th form l got promotion to prefect. I always wanted to be a milk monitor sad

aggie Tue 23-Nov-21 20:39:40

I was our version of prefect , I had a green ribbon /sash to wear over my uniform , it’s all so long ago , but I have vague memories of not being up to the mark and being removed from the rarified ranks and being demoted ?

Josianne Tue 23-Nov-21 20:46:05

Yes, but no idea why. I wasn't the cleverest, nor the sportiest. I was told it was just that I got on well with everyone!
I must find my badge, I still have it somewhere.

Aldom Tue 23-Nov-21 20:52:33

I was Head Girl and House Captain. I passed on my badges to my granddaughter recently. I share a close friendship with the 'girl' who was my deputy so very many years ago. Sadly we were both bereaved of our first born, adult sons' a few years ago. Who would have thought this would happen to those two young girls.

Mamissimo Tue 23-Nov-21 20:55:25

Yup

Urmstongran Tue 23-Nov-21 20:57:05

Aldom that is a very poignant tale. ?

Trisha57 Tue 23-Nov-21 21:07:52

I was milk monitor and ink well monitor in Primary School. At secondary school, I wasn't anything muchv- hated the girls' grammar that I went to and was bullied by both staff and other pupils. One of the worst bullies was made Head Girl after I left in the middle of Lower Sixth......she probably bullied everyone to vote for her sad

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Nov-21 21:11:32

Too naughty!
But I got to clean the blackboard and sort the windows in juniors as I was the tallest.

Chewbacca Tue 23-Nov-21 21:12:14

Ink monitor! Now that's a blast from the past! If you were to ask a school child today what an ink monitor was, they'd look at you like this confused

Shinamae Tue 23-Nov-21 21:17:28

I got a lot of detention…?

Grandma70s Tue 23-Nov-21 21:20:58

No, I didn’t conform and was far too sympathetic to girls who broke the rules. I was vice captain of my form once, and editor of the school magazine. That’s it.

dragonfly46 Tue 23-Nov-21 21:22:40

I was the only upper sixth member who was not made a prefect. My lovely head told me she was sorry but it was down to my previous behaviour (talking to boys over the ginnel wall in break time) among other things!

Trisha57 Tue 23-Nov-21 21:24:38

Chewbacca that made me laugh! Lots of the naughty boys used to stuff their ink wells with paper so you had to scoop out all the gunge first before you could fill them up! I always went home with ink-stained fingers grin

Framilode Tue 23-Nov-21 21:25:00

We had a new form mistress one year and when it came to voting for form captain and games captain I was voted form captain. The poor girl who was the worst at games was voted games captain.

The Head Mistress heard about it and came and gave the class a dressing down. In her words I was the naughtiest girl in the class and summarily dismissed.

Atqui Tue 23-Nov-21 21:35:45

“ One of the worst bullies was made Head Girl after I left in the middle of Lower Sixth.....”
That must have been a slap in the face Trisha
I didn’t reach those dizzy heights , but the head girl in my year was the kindest, unassuming person, so perhaps the staff were more intuitive than I realised.

BigBertha1 Tue 23-Nov-21 21:59:03

No I was pregnant in the fifth form so in disgrace.

MerylStreep Tue 23-Nov-21 22:13:52

Oh god no ?
But I was captain of the Hockey and Swimming team. And we were good ?

annodomini Tue 23-Nov-21 22:35:13

We didn't have head girls and boys, but prefects were appointed in 6th year. There were only twelve girls in our year (a lot left after 5th year) so they made all of us prefects. There were more boys, so not all of them were made prefects. I only made it to Hockey 2nd XI and was highly indignant when another girl was made captain!