Gransnet forums

Chat

What qualities do you most admire in your friends

(108 Posts)
LauraNorderr Fri 26-Nov-21 12:22:50

Like most I have a large circle of friends and an inner circle of closer friends.
We would often lunch together, have fun, support each other and put the world to rights.
Since covid our communication has been mainly by phone so much more one to one. This has made me appreciate their individual qualities more and got me thinking about the things I love most about each one.
Some listen to detail and show great care, some have a great sense of humour and lift my spirits, some are brutally honest but in a good way. I hope I give some of these things to my friends.
What do you admire most in a friend?

freedomfromthepast Mon 29-Nov-21 01:39:10

I know this will sound strange, but I value having a friend on an equal emotional footing as me. Let me explain.

Due to my upbringing, I am very competent in life. Great for me, obviously, but I am this way because I was forced to be this way as a child. A double edged sword really. Because of this, I tend to attract friends who are needy. I had one that only called me when she needed something. She would text me to do something for her despite it being less effort for her to type what she wanted into Google. I got very tired with having to fix things for my friends.

My now best friend never needs to be fixed. Not that we do not help each other out, cry on each other shoulders, but I am not constantly cleaning up after her life because she takes care of it herself. We are able to exist as equals emotionally.

I take care of my kids, my pets and my husband. I want someone in my life who I can enjoy to be around, but that I do not have to take care of.

I also value humor. I love to laugh and like to do silly things.

Mamma66 Mon 29-Nov-21 05:29:42

Kindness, loyalty and trust. My best friend is really more of a sister than anything. She is two years younger than me and our parents were friends. I cannot remember her not being part of my life as we have played together since being babies. She lived at the end of our road and has been a constant in my life. I have never known her do a mean thing either as a child, teen or adult and our mutual trust is absolute. We have been there for each other through thick and thin. She had a terrible tragedy in her life and showed equanimity throughout. I love her dearly and know that she feels the same way about me. I am blessed to have such a friend

LucyW Mon 29-Nov-21 18:36:06

Different things from different friends I think. Since losing my husband a lady I knew but didn't think of as a friend has become a really good friend. My best friend, whilst still being close, hasn't been able to be there as she gets so upset herself if I talk about my husband. As she is very worried about contracting covid she cannot understand that I need to go to work and get out of the house (I live in an isolated location).

Seamus89 Wed 01-Dec-21 00:12:14

Honesty , loyalty and humour.
I lost a very good friend today and will miss her forever .

Jackiest Wed 01-Dec-21 01:12:00

Kindness, care, someone who always thinks of others and people who are being left out or excluded.

LauraNorderr Wed 01-Dec-21 12:11:21

Seamus89, how very sad for you flowers

Evelyn92 Tue 21-Dec-21 01:52:55

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.