Gransnet forums

Chat

Candles, what are your favourites?

(77 Posts)
Sago Tue 07-Dec-21 16:50:11

I’ve just gone to light my favourite candles as a distraction from the filthy weather outside.
One is a Diptyque lavender, a present from my lovely DIL the other is a Rathbones wild mint,watercress and thyme, also a present from DIL!
The Diptyque candle has only a couple of evenings left, the Rathbones months!
They both cost more than I would normally spend on myself, I tend to rummage in TKMaxx but I adore them.

What are your favourites?

Kalu Fri 05-Jan-24 14:57:08

Dyptique Baies was my favourite for years but I have changed to diffusers now. Both special treats from DH.

PinkCosmos Fri 05-Jan-24 15:14:11

I love candles but can't justify spending tens of pounds on one candle.

The Aldi Jo Malone copy candles are good and you can actually smell them, unlike some of the other cheap copies. I like the lime, basil and mandarin one - £3.99

I really dislike vanilla scented candles or anything sickly smelling. Apart from l/b/m ones I quite like the cotton fresh or spa type ones.

Next candles are lovely and keep their smell. Likewise their diffusers.

A cautionary tale, about ten years a friend of mind became a fan of Yankee candles and used to burn them every night in the living room. Strange black patches started appearing on her wall at the join between the ceiling and the wall. She couldn't get it off as it was greasy. I turned out it was caused by the Yankee candles. I don't know what kind of wax they are made from, and this was ten years ago so it may be different now.

When you think about it, where does all the wax go when you burn a candle. Obviously, it goes into the atmosphere in the room. If this is the case, I don't suppose it is healthy to have candles burning all the time, especially perfumed ones. It is kind of on a par with vaping - IYSWIM

Not the actual friend but found this online about the soot damage

andyyankeecandles.blogspot.com/2013/11/yankee-candles-and-soot-damage.html

I bought an old fashioned oil lamp a while ago, as an alternative, but I have yet to use it.

PinkCosmos Fri 05-Jan-24 15:18:39

Forgot to mention, I actually discovered recently that you should trim the wicks on candles to 1/4" before you relight them. This help to cut down on soot and helps the candle to burn better.

I can't believe I didn't know this shock

RosiesMaw Fri 05-Jan-24 16:23:58

I loathe Yankee Candles with a passion, finding them over-perfumed, chemical and overpowering. I know some people love them though.
I like Dipyque, Jo Malone, White Company and some of the small independent makers.
They don’t come cheap, but I think you get what you pay for.

Fleurpepper Fri 05-Jan-24 16:46:19

I just cannot fathom how anyone can spend that kind of money on a candle tbh.

Fleurpepper Fri 05-Jan-24 16:51:33

Not a criticism btw, just an opinion.

www.jomalone.co.uk/home-scents

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 05-Jan-24 17:11:24

DD loves Diptyque and I'm a White Company fan, and we've both been pleased with Valente, reasonably priced and long lasting.

rafichagran Fri 05-Jan-24 17:21:59

I love candles, I was bough two White Stuff one's by daughter. I also like Neom.
Candles are like marmight, and I know some people hate them, that's why in January and February I get some very good candles brand new in charity shops at a greatly reduced price.

rafichagran Fri 05-Jan-24 17:23:42

Sorry White Company.

keepcalmandcavachon Fri 05-Jan-24 17:26:14

"One man's toxic sludge is another man's potpourri"
The Grinch grin

RosiesMaw Fri 05-Jan-24 17:33:53

Not too hard to imagine, Fleurpepper if you are a discriminating person, you get what you pay for.

Patsy70 Fri 05-Jan-24 18:09:52

Maggiemaybe recommended Valentte on this thread (which is three years old, by the way), and I have been buying them as gifts ever since. I also like Neom, but they are very expensive.

Kalu Fri 05-Jan-24 18:27:39

Take off your judgy pants Fleur. Your opinion is of no interest to me.
Sigh

Lyndylou Fri 05-Jan-24 18:45:46

Well it was of interest to me Kalu. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds spending that much on a candle difficult to understand.

Kalu Fri 05-Jan-24 19:08:32

Lyndylou

Well it was of interest to me Kalu. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who finds spending that much on a candle difficult to understand.

Surely it is none of our business what others decide to spend their money on. I would only find such circumstances -difficult- to understand if I knew the person was struggling financially but I still would never question why they did so.

RosiesMaw Fri 05-Jan-24 19:55:50

Kalu

Take off your judgy pants Fleur. Your opinion is of no interest to me.
Sigh

🤣🤣🤣 I could not have put it better 🤣🤣🤣

Kim19 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:06:34

Somewhat irrationally, I find naked flames a bit scary no matter how strategically positioned, so I just avoid candles.

NotAGran55 Fri 05-Jan-24 20:16:15

Nigel Slater’s favourite must be good. Any one tried them?

trudon.co.uk/home-fragrances/scented-candles.html

Lucyd Fri 05-Jan-24 20:16:54

I used to have Wilko candles which frequently mistaken for Jo Malone. Sadly Wilko are no more. Aldi do some gorgeous one - the pomegranate one is beautiful as is the lime, basil and mandarin one. It think they are dupes of the Jo Malone one and always get excellent write ups in consumer reviews.

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Jan-24 21:14:51

Plain unscented ones.

Sago Fri 05-Jan-24 22:45:14

How funny, I looked at this and was about to write “ these are my favourites too”.
I am the OP!
I now have a new favourite Avoca Peat.

Grandmafrench Fri 05-Jan-24 23:09:50

NotAGran55

Nigel Slater’s favourite must be good. Any one tried them?

trudon.co.uk/home-fragrances/scented-candles.html

Yes, Nigel Slater has the most sensible idea. If you are going to spend lots of money, then at least spend it on something which is safe and won't fill your home with carcinogens derived from petrochemicals. However wonderful the smell of Jo Malone, Diptyche, The White Company candles - paraffin wax is a truly bad idea! The healthiest, safest and truly 'clean' candles are made from Beeswax.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Jan-24 00:12:01

Patsy70

Maggiemaybe recommended Valentte on this thread (which is three years old, by the way), and I have been buying them as gifts ever since. I also like Neom, but they are very expensive.

I’m pleased to hear that you liked them too, Patsy. I still buy them, as presents and for myself. I’d actually come on here to recommend them, till, like the OP, I realised that it’s an old thread. smile

Valentte candles are made from organic vegetable wax, Grandmafrench, and the Jo Malones at least certainly aren’t paraffin based. The cheap duplicates probably are, though.

I admit I have bought the Aldi “Jo Malone” shower gels and perfumes, and they’re good copies. I wouldn’t risk the candles though.

kittylester Sat 06-Jan-24 07:09:11

I don't 'get' candles at all.

karmalady Sat 06-Jan-24 07:40:58

I only use stearin candles as they do not contain any nasties and they burn for a long time. They are not cheap so I keep them for gloomy winter nights. Their flame is soot-free, they are scandinavian and slower-burning. I get mine from here

pehrsons-candles.co.uk/stearin-candles