Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfumes you've worn down the years

(157 Posts)
Beswitched Sun 26-Dec-21 09:32:58

With all the expensive perfume ads on telly at the moment I was just thinking of the various scents that have been popular across the years. As a very young adult I loved Anais Anais, then like so many people in the 1980s I adored White Linen. That smell would take me straight back to my early 20s. Then I wore Clarins Eau Dynamisante for years and now wear Light Blue by Dolce and Gabbana.

bridie54 Sun 26-Dec-21 11:03:25

I got a gift of L’air Du Temps from my son yesterday (in fairness it was on my Amazon wish list so he could go wrong). A quick skoosh and I was transported back. Didn’t there used to be a perfume called Aquarius? I should Google that.
Nowadays I go between Coco and Lancôme Miracle.

Yammy Sun 26-Dec-21 11:08:41

At the moment Eau de Sezanne, my favourite Christelle by Chanel is impossible to get.
Been through a lot in my time. My first was a Tio by Atkinsons that I sneaked off my mum. Youth dew as a student we all did the college reeked of it. Rive Gauche, Diorssimo. Eau Svelte, Eternity, Dune.
When we were tidying my mother's house years ago my DD made me laugh by saying Gran has got a museum of all your perfumes. My dear mother had bought them on holiday and I had blotted my book when she came back and I never received them.
She did give me a huge bottle of Chanelle No 5 when I got married, knowing it turned nasty on me. Perhaps she was going to miss her sparring partner and hoped I would come back DH put off by the stink.
In contrast, my MIL gave me a gallon bottle of Charlie and a pair of French knickers.!!! She was desperate for grandsons she never got from me.wink

GagaJo Sun 26-Dec-21 11:09:53

Blue Grass, but now I think it smells like fly spray!

Tendre Poison, a lovely fresh 'green' smell. Sadly discontinued.

Now, Light Blue, by Dolce &Gabbana. But I refuse to pay the ridiculous price for it.

So right now, Verbena by L'occitane, given to me as a gift.

Froglady Sun 26-Dec-21 11:15:48

Germanshepherdsmum

Another one I used to love was L’Aimant - the little black bottle with a stick inside the lid to dab it behind your ears. The spray bottles never smelled as good.

This was my mum's favourite perfume.

Froglady Sun 26-Dec-21 11:16:44

I only use Poison these days and have worn it for many years.

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Dec-21 11:19:08

My mom’s favourite too Froglady
Shep, but I’d forgotten all about the. ‘little stick’

When I was really little, in the early 70s, she used 4711, which I believe is now a favourite of Madonna’s.

Lovely thread, I love a perfume one

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Dec-21 11:20:38

Froglady

I only use Poison these days and have worn it for many years.

Poison is gorgeous, I’ve always got a bottle on the go
I don’t understand why some people really hate it!

Peartree Sun 26-Dec-21 11:23:01

In my early 20s I used to wear Babe. Then it my 30s and 40s Coco Chanel. I always have Lily of the valley and Anais Anais but I have a roll on scent of Parma Violets that everyone says smells lovely.

25Avalon Sun 26-Dec-21 11:30:16

A Toi by Atkinson was my favourite at 18 and for several years until it was sadly no longer available. Tried several since but none I liked as much.

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Dec-21 11:32:39

Marydoll I think that you’d like Paul Smith Roses
I’ve had it in the past (from Asda!blush Do Asda still do perfume? I haven’t been in one for ages!)
Anyway, it’s beautiful Mary

Shelflife Sun 26-Dec-21 11:33:58

Gin,I had forgotten Ma Griffe, think it was in a green and white striped box ?

Shelbel Sun 26-Dec-21 11:36:11

My first scents were on a stick you rubbed on your wrist - I loved Lily of the Valley. I was only about 10/11 then.

My first perfume was Quelque fleurs at about 15. I don't remember the maker. After that I remember,

Rebel, Rebel - advertised by the Bowie song
Cachet - a favourite
Rive Gauche
Coco - Chanel
Paco Rabanne - xs
Boss for women
Kenzo - flowers

I now wear Gucci Bloom.

*I just googled the quelque fleur and its by Houbigant and rather expensive. I remember I only had a tiny bottle and cannot remember where I got it from .

Grandmadinosaur Sun 26-Dec-21 11:36:26

As a child I was allowed to get Pretty Peach from Avon. Anyone remember that?

Tillytrotter oh yes Kiku took me right back to a boyfriend buying it for me.
Perfumes bought on holidays transport me back Opium, Rive Gauche, Miracle.
I also liked Chanel No 5 but it doesn’t smell the same on me any more.
I wore Estée Lauder Beautiful on my wedding day and still do.
Recent favourites are any of the Daisy perfumes.
In a shop the other day I smelt L’air du temps on a lady. It took me back. A couple of years ago in the sales I’d bought but a gift set of it but hadn’t given it to anyone. So I’ve kept it for myself and am actually wearing it right now.

Maggiemaybe Sun 26-Dec-21 11:40:31

I’ve loved my perfume from the day my mother gave me a dab of her Soir de Paris. Then my big sis gave me a Pretty Peach set and I was hooked. Over time some of my favourites have been Tweed, Green Tea, Styx, Maja, Lolita Lempicka, Chanel No 5, Pomegranate Noir. I can conjure them all up and they spark off so many happy memories.

My current perfume of choice is Oud Attar Rose oil. One drop on each wrist is enough to last all day.

Libman Sun 26-Dec-21 11:48:15

I remember my mother having ‘Soir de Paris’. All the Avon perfumes ( my mother was an AvonLady) - Topaz, Rapture, Occur. Then Aquamanda, 4711, Anais Anais ( lovely bottle) Chanel No 5, Jo Malone, Lime Basil and Mandarin. A few years ago I came across Angel by Mugler and it took me right back to the 70s and my first boyfriend!

inishowen Sun 26-Dec-21 11:50:50

As a teenager I wore Blue Grass and a boyfriend bought me Chanel No. 5. I loved an Avon perfume called Honeysuckle too.

hollysteers Sun 26-Dec-21 11:51:35

Shocked to receive FCUK yesterday! (Only joking, it smells nice).
My sense of smell is not what it was so I still have a bottle of Youth Dew on the go, boy everyone can smell that..
We used to call Anais Anais ‘Anus Anus’.
I had a bottle of scent from Ibiza a couple of years ago with the scent of limes, so beautiful, can’t find it now.

Casdon Sun 26-Dec-21 11:52:01

I’ve worn Ysatis all my adult life, it’s hard to get hold of these days but still available. I also love Pomegranate Noir by Jo Malone for the evening.

LinAnn52 Sun 26-Dec-21 11:55:54

I liked Red Door by Elizabeth Arden for a while when younger. Nowadays my favourite is Laura by Laura Biagiotti. I first found it in Spain one year when on holiday. It was available here in some shops for a while, but sadly can only be sourced online these days. Happily, DH did get me a new bottle for Christmas.

LilyoftheValley Sun 26-Dec-21 11:56:04

Chanel No 5, Miss Dior (original), Rive Gauche, Shalimar, L'heure Bleu.

BridgetPark Sun 26-Dec-21 11:58:27

I get really nostalgic thinking of my mothers perfumes, she loved Norman Hartnell In Love, also Apple Blossom, and a L'maint one, lots of Revlon ones. Chantilly by Houbigant was a favourite of mine, and a Sortilege one I used to love cos my female boss used it, then it became mega cheap and she wouldn't wear it any more!! Lots of snobbery involved in perfumes, but it is so expensive these days!!

Marydoll Sun 26-Dec-21 12:02:01

Fanny, I forgot about Paul Smith. I used to but it when I couldn't justify the extortionate Joe Malone!!

threexnanny Sun 26-Dec-21 12:07:26

My all-time favourite was the original Bvlgari Omnia. Also liked YSL Cinema.

Jaxjacky Sun 26-Dec-21 12:07:44

Patchouli oil in my late teens, thence to Obsession, now Opium Black. I always bath/shower in Badedas which holds its scent on me for a while too.

FannyCornforth Sun 26-Dec-21 12:09:17

Look at this!?
You don’t get packaging like that anymore